Fix your job

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Fix your job

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:28 pm

piqaboo wrote:that means I have to pare somewhere (to keep the cv to 2 pages) and that means work...

Or resetting the text to 8 point helvetica... :twisted: :lol:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:36 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
piqaboo wrote:that means I have to pare somewhere (to keep the cv to 2 pages) and that means work...

Or resetting the text to 8 point helvetica... :twisted: :lol:

pfafh. Isnt the point to get the job? Not to blind the interviewer? Except for blinding them with my excellence?

Arial narrow....
I could list 'obfuscation' in my skills summary. (hhmmm, do I have one? I dont remember my resume format. )
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks for the well wishes! I actually did win 2nd place (and the colleague that I worked the most with won 1st place)! And had the head of the research faculty come talk to me about 'moving up the ladder within the next grant cycle' (i.e., get back on the path to becoming faculty)- so that's cool! Winning also helps with name recognition, so if I talk to another faculty member about working with them, they'll have some idea of who I am.

Here in academia world, your CV, most of the time, can be as long as you need. I remember seeing a 10-pager in grad school. Think I'm on the 5th page by now. think for most grant submissions you have a 2-page biosketch - usually what you've done in the past 5 years or so (less if you've been publishing a lot).
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:19 pm

:chestbump:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:32 am

Congrats, Schmeelkie!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:16 am

We're getting a new fridge! It will replace the two current rusty and decrepit fridges that we've had in the coffee room for lo, these many decades. I rejoice!

This did trigger a mass throwing-away of all the forgotten and abandoned and aged science projects and condiment collections. (Did you know that yellow mustard will eventually turn dull orange? This was news to me.) As in "if you want to keep it get it out of the fridge by today". Memo went to everybody. About time.

Now one of the fussy office tissyprissles is having a conniption fit, as he did not quite understand that the category of "everybody" would include him, and his stuff has been disposed of. :snicker: :snorf: It's not my fault, I didn't do it, and I get to watch. If there was an orchestra and better costumes, it'd be grand opera.

This is great.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:25 am

Our old fridge here in the office has to be defrosted periodically, so we have at least a semi-annual throwing-away party. There's an older fridge in the shop break room, but those guys are in charge of it. I have no idea how frequently it is emptied, although I think it is primarily used for soda (soft drinks, to most) storage. We have an honour system on soda sales, rather than a vending machine.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:46 am

HA! They toss everything in our fridges here at work, every 30 days. No exceptions. The guiding rule is never bring in stuff in the last few days of the month.

For me, I bought a small 2 cu foot fridge and keep it hidden under my desk. heh...no one has found that yet. Wish I could say that there was a cold beer in there but it only holds my yogurt, milk and OJ for my "breakfast". I also have a few cans of soda and Snapple. We're not supposed to have such things so I'll be in hot water if the facilities folks ever prowl around my office. :mrgreen:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:56 am

We used to keep beer iced down in the soda machine at a previous workplace. When we began stocking the machine with IBC Root Beer (the brand that came in longneck beer bottles), the stockman accidentally loaded our beer into the vending slot along with the root beer. We sold out pretty quickly, and some of it probably went to minors. That ended the practice of keeping beer in there. :(

We kept some in the fridge here, at one time. However, we found the honour system didn't work as well when there was beer on hand, as the beer kept disappearing. We had to discontinue that practice, as well.

I think there's still a whisky bottle or two stashed around here someplace. I think they keep moving it. We used to get several bottles at Christmastime, and kept a few on hand for, uh, medicinal purposes. The practice of giving Christsmas spirits has diminshed somewhat in recent years, so the availability has become limited, and the recipients seem more inclined to take the bottles home when they get them.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:50 pm

We don't have a policy for cleaning out the fridge, but when it gets stuffed &/or smelly, our secretary will send out the 'take your stuff out by Friday at 5pm or it goes in the trash' message. Recently he established a 'freebie bin' - one section to put food and drinks that are up for grabs. If it doesn't fit, he asked that you put a note on the food and on his desk so people know it's there. I just miss having the communal cream cheese supply (those little containers) - they were tossed in the most recent smelly food-related cleaning. Oh, well. I generally keep my lunch in my lunch bag, and have beverages in the door (which aren't disappearing anymore since the 'freebie bin' policy went into effect).
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:57 am

If it's in the fridge on Friday, it won't be there on Saturday. I found that out when I put a frozen dinner in there for a Saturday work-over. The dinner wasn't stolen, the fridge was spotless.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Life768 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:29 am

I am busy in that day so I am sorry my friends.,Hope you have a good time.,

Postby Shapley » Tue May 05, 2009 8:53 am

Welcome to the B.com BB, Life.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue May 05, 2009 10:31 am

Don't welcome spammers.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:58 am

Just found out today that for the past 3 years I've been paid as if I was working 40 hours, even though my paychecks clearly say 24. So, were I to stay at 24 hours, my pay would go down 40%!! :crazy: :curse: :twisted: Luckily, they have budgeted me at the current pay so I could go all the way up to 40 hours and make the same money.... however, not really willing to do that now (Bella's not 3 yet - still want my time with her and Pumpkin while they're little!), so as I was planning to go up to 28 hours, now I'll do 30 and with husband's upcoming raise, it shouldn't be TOO painful. Also, as someone is always writing grants (and my main boss is currently working on a big one (5-year RO1 for those who know)), there's a good chance I could move up the ladder soon, thus more $/hour. so, I'm trying to stay calm and view this as a temporary setback. At least I still have my job - which is something to be thankful for! And they don't want their money back from overpaying me! :dunce:
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:47 am

Hello, hellotracy! (Is there an echo in here?)

Welcome to the B.com BB!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:41 am

Welcome hellotracy!

My mom always told me (what her mother told her) is to learn everything you can on your job, because you never know when knowing something more than the next guy can give you a new opportunity. Either to move up the ladder at your company or to find a better job somewhere else.

I've decided I need to do some serious thinking about what I really want to be doing... I do enjoy my job, but it is tedious at times and I wouldn't mind having a little more freedom to research stuff I'm really interested in. don't know if I can get what I want staying here and just getting a bit further up the research ladder, or if I might want to step out and try something like teaching at a smaller U or local college and get small grants to do some research that way. Realized that I can't see myself as a research professor here at our big U - they're constantly in meetings, working 60-70 hours a week, just ending up doing more work than you'd think to be sure they always have funding. I value time with my family too much... Anyway, nothing like a little shock to the system to make you think about your job!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 am

:banghead: So, last fall when I had new undergrad volunteers helping with our data entry and I went to the IT website to set them up so they could have access to our computers and the server where we do data entry, our administrator (holding the reins on the money, etc) sent me a pissy email saying that it should have gone through her. So, almost a month ago, I sent her an email asking to add new students - she could forward the info to the IT folks. She did nothing for 3 weeks, then when I sent it to her again, she questioned why I was doing this - got a confusing note from the IT people and told me, that as their supervisor, I should go to the website and sign the volunteers up for access. AAARRGG!! :banghead: This woman does stuff like this all the time. Blaming you for not following the rules when the rules were changed and she didn't let you know. She even got upset at a colleague of mine saying her desk was too messy and she'd get in trouble if she wasn't more organized. :crazy:

Thanks for letting me vent!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:01 pm

Today, a revelation. She's an engineer.

There's a gal just beginning to use Interleaf, down the street in a different building and working for a different command in the whole "logistical support" world the Navy has. Somebody, who isn't admitting to the deed, has given her my phone number. I just dealt with this afternoon's "How do I do this?" and I think that the inspiration she had is probably a bad idea. I was mentioning Murphy and unintended consequences and all that sort of thing...

Moaning and wailing is what I expect in the followup call, which may happen after I leave for the day (hope, hope) because she's splitting an association that I think belongs un-split; and changing properties of another component. It did something she didn't expect and she wants to know "Why'd it do that?"! Um, I dunno, did I mention unintended consequences???

Mentioning this lady to my boss, I find out she's an Engineer and feels secure in her ability to master Interleaf and make it do tricks. (Even Broadvision, who sells the thing, isn't that confident)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby analog » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Mentioning this lady to my boss, I find out she's an Engineer and feels secure in her ability to master Interleaf and make it do tricks. (Even Broadvision, who sells the thing, isn't that confident)

engineers are not programmers.
i learned programming concepts like "reentrancy" by hanging out with honest to goodness programmers. I assumed new kids fresh out of school would be better versed than i, after all the Fortan II i learned early 60's was aimed at calculating and we were only taught rudiments of program flow.
But as of the nineties it wasn't yet so.

good luck. I hope she doesn't have sufficient privilege to do much damage.

Perhaps you could rework this ancient tome:
Das Broadvision is nicht fuer gefingerclickend und giffengrabben. Ist easy droppenpacket der Routers und overloaden der Backbone mit der spammen und der me-tooen. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei die Dummkopfen. Die mausklicken Sichtseeren keepen das Bandwidth-spewen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das cursorblinken.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article09-100

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections