Altoid & Other Cuties' Thread

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Altoid & Other Cuties' Thread

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 am

"And there are many things about experiencing pregnancy that they just don't teach you in med school and residency so it's been a learning experience! I laughed and told my friend that I think I needed a partial refund on my education since they seemed to leave out some important things."

It's funny to hear that from an actual doc! I've heard from others that OB is the least well researched medical field -docs go along with stuff as 'it seems to be working'. I also think that each person has a wide variation in the kinds of symptoms, etc that happen, so it gets very difficult to generalize. Your outlook certainly can affect your perception of whether you're having 'symptoms' or just interesting side-effects.

I just loved that once I was showing, you get a lot more people in public smiling at you, random people striking up conversation, etc. Being pregnant and carrying around a baby is an invitation to be more social. Interesting...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby monkeymd2b » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:41 am

I'm finally showing a little but could probably still be mistaken as fat. Some people are brave enough to ask but others just wait until I say something then say they thought I was pregnant but didn't want to be wrong. Yesterday at the gym one of the other trainers asked how far along I was and his client commented that he was brave for asking. We let her know that he's known for awhile that I was pregnant...no bravery there. LOL! I had to watch supernanny just so I could give useful advice to parents dealing with rowdy toddlers when I was in training. I don't have kids yet, how do I know what will work?!? I just know how I was raised and so I watched that show to get more ideas. :lol: My favorite was a person who complained that her 2 yr old had a discipline problem. Really? Isn't that what 2 yr olds do without consistent direction? The supernanny advice came in handy for that one. I started reading an "evidence based parenting" blog and it's pretty interesting. They base their parenting decisions off of research study results on child behavior. Like grounding teens. They look like little adults, but mentally, they're no more advanced than the 5 yr old and have a very limited sense of long term consequences. So rather than ground for a week, they recommend grounding for only a day or 2 at the most because after that, they forget why they were grounded in the first place and then just think you're doing it because you suck.
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:46 am

Monkey Doc.... we read all the books we could get our hands on when we had our first child. When we had our second, we threw them all away... :lol:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Parents suck anyway. Until the first grandchild comes along, and then the penny drops.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby monkeymd2b » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Well, I think I was dethroned by my own fetus. My dad forgot to send me a girl's day card but said initially that now the baby will get those cards. Hey! She's not even out of the womb yet! Dang it! I was his baby girl princess...oh well...34, almost 35 yrs of being the spoiled baby girl was a good run. LOL!

I just hope our little girl isn't stubborn when it comes to potty training or as difficult as I was. I only peed 2-3 times per day according to my mom and so it was a challenge to get the timing right. Then it didn't help to have older brothers tell you that if you fall into the toilet you get flushed away with the poop and pee. That resulted in accidents at preschool because I was too afraid to use the bathrooms at the school (it was a preschool at a lutheran church school so the toilets weren't small). Geez, brothers can be so mean sometimes!

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:39 pm

jamiebk wrote:Monkey Doc.... we read all the books we could get our hands on when we had our first child. When we had our second, we threw them all away... :lol:

What Jamie says. Love the child, raise him/her to know right from wrong and remember that for about the first 10 years or so that child will be chasing you around, hanging on your every word and comment. After that you will have little influence on the person they will become. Make the most of it.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby monkeymd2b » Thu May 24, 2012 12:50 am

thanks everyone! My approach in the beginning will be to just hope and pray I make it through each day. Only 6 more weeks until her due date but we'll see when she wants to bless us with her arrival! I keep telling her to wait until July because then next year we can celebrate her birthday and my birthday with one big camping trip. Had a dream that she wasn't head down and I had to push her head down so I could deliver her. I was very skilled in my dream and did this very easily and without much pain. I told my doctor about my dream today and that apparently I needed to be convinced more that she really is head down. He's still very sure she's head down but said that at my 36 wk visit he can do a quick look with the ultrasound to prove to me that I can relax and that she's in position. Doesn't help that I have a patient who turned out to be breech when I was doing the delivery. I hadn't seen her for her last 4 visits but the midwife said that the patient reported all the movement in the upper half but couldn't remember if she actually felt her belly to confirm the position. Well, I did one check at the office and felt what I thought was just a bulging bag. The nurse at the hospital did a check and also felt the same thing and assumed the same thing too, apparently. Then the patient got into the tub and stayed there until she was completely dilated. Water broke and when she tried pushing, first her amniotic sac ruptured then a slow oozing poop came out. The nurse and I exchanged glances (the "that's not right" glance) and sure enough, breech. Baby was frank breech and so we did a c-section - there's no way that kid's head was going to make it out vaginally - very big head! So, my baby's motions are mostly up top but I also feel a few down low. Turns out it's really hard to assess fetal position on yourself. It's so much easier when I do this on my patients - I have no doubt and when I do, I get a scan to confirm position if they're within a month of delivery. It's just a little hard to convince myself! LOL! I did see this baby about a week ago so maybe that's why my subconscious did this to me. I must say that my dreams that involve me delivering the baby are always fast and easy and painless. I sure hope that doesn't change and is the reality! I'll be sure to post a few pics of her...once I regain a sense of night and day.

monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:49 pm

My son Taylor was a Frank's Breach and borne vaginally...thanks to a brave wife and my best friend who was the attending Obstetrician.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby monkeymd2b » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:37 pm

Well, thought I would drop in and let you know that Maia has arrived! Not the way I had hoped but oh well! Started out in labor at 2 am on 7/5 and was 4 cm when I decided to head into the hospital. Was stuck at 4 cm after 6 hrs (my doctor was nice enough to not require frequent cervical exams so he came back after his clinic/surgery day was over to check me again). Ruptured my membranes to get things going faster and did get to 8 cm and stalled out again for 5 hrs. It was the last 3 hours that really sucked because she was so low down that I had the strong urge to push each time but couldn't because it would injure my cervix. I kind of did little pushes because like I said, it was really hard not to. So after 5 hrs being stuck at 8, decided to get the epidural and see if being able to rest would encourage my cervix to dilate to 10 and at least get a vaginal delivery out of it. Got to 9 cm and stalled again so they started pitocin since as usual, the epidural killed contractions but after 2 hrs and still only at 9 cm, baby's HR started to not tolerate labor. The doctor was surprised because my own contractions were stronger and more frequent than what the pitocin was doing and baby tolerated that natural labor better. So I told them, maybe if I sat up that would put more pressure on the cervix and get me to 10. Sat up and baby's HR plummeted to the 80-90s so I laid back down and we prepared for the c-section. She was born at 3:48 am on 7/6/12 weighing in at 8 lbs 10 oz and 21 inches long. Thankfully my recovery has been fast and easy and my doctor gave me the all clear to do whatever I want, exercise wise, and to just let pain and fatigue guide my choices. I should say that my labor music was heavily comprised of classical music, which was nice to have as a calming effect. At her 2wk check up yesterday, she weighed 9 lbs 3.5 oz and 22 inches long. She's growing quickly!

monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Congratulations! What a nice-looking baby!
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Awesome, congrats! Cute pic!
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:05 am

Congratulations!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Congratulations, Doc!. Hope she follows in her mother's footsteps.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:47 am

Oh she's lovely, monkey!
And this is why you can 'plan' your labor all you want, but your body isn't likely to follow the plan! What I wonder is that, being a doctor yourself, did your knowledge let you stay more calm in the face of frustrations, or just make you more worried? After 19 hours total (2.5 pushing) with Pumpkin - I sympathize! Now, hopefully, it becomes a story you tell while enjoying the heck out of your daughter!

Can you believe Pumpkin will be 9 in one month and is starting 4th grade?! Little Bella is 5.75 and looking forward to first grade. I think she's actually excited about having homework - I think she just wants to do it with her brother! I'm missing them now as I'm at work and they're with my folks at Niagara Falls (and their cousins, and my cousin and her kids). I get to hang out at my brother's for the next two days though and visit with everyone. By Friday we'll have 12 kids, ages 1- almost 15, running around my brother's place, playing in the pool...while I get to visit with 3 of my 5 cousins from my Dad's family, my uncle and a great aunt. One can't make it as she's deployed in the Persian Gulf (I think) until October. this is the biggest family reunion we've ever had, I think... Just wish my husband could hang out with us more, but he starts classes next week. I'm swamped at work too (will actually take a phone meeting Thurs at 3 at my brothers, and Fri at 10 at home), but sneaking out anyway. This summer has been a bit crazy, so I'm looking forward to a few days of relaxing. Then my big 40th b'day bash on Sunday!!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:53 am

So, I'm sad today, as an old friend from high school lost his mother to cancer a few days ago. Funeral is too far away for me to attend, but now I really want to get to NYC to visit him and give him a hug in person... It's also a bit scary to think that I have friends losing parents already... First my aunt in the spring, now this... My parents and in-laws are in excellent health for their ages, but I still kinda don't want to talk about this in front of my kids as I don't want them to start worrying about their grandparents. I feel like I'm just coming to terms with my parents and their contemporaries being 'the elder generation' in the family now. Not ready to start losing any of them. Any thoughts on how to talk about this with a 9 and almost 6-year-old would be appreciated...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:33 am

My condolences.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Previous

Return to Culture Connections