Thanksgiving plans?

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Catmando » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:48 pm

Well, Canada Thanksgiving is this weekend!
:pacman: :chicken: :yum: :barf: Too much turkey!

So these are my plans:

Friday - Symphony night!

Saturday - Girlfriend and I are going to my curling skip's wedding.

Sunday - Dinner at one of our favorite restaurants w/ my sister and brother-in-law.

Monday - Thanksgiving lunch at my girlfriend's parents' place. Turkey, cheese perogies and sauerkraut perogies for sure are on the menu, along with pumpkin cheese cake! :yum:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:00 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!

Marye, The same goes for you, too!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:08 pm

Shapley wrote:Happy Thanksgiving!

Marye, The same goes for you, too!

Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I wonder if Marye is still in Vienna/Prague?

Thanksgiving is not quite on the same level as the U.S. Thanksgiving in November.

Our biggest holiday in Canada would probably be Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year's. Alot of people take the whole week off between Christmas and New Year's. In fact, although we get 3 days worth of "statutory holidays", the company I work for usually pays for the 2 extra work days to give us that week off.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:56 pm

Isn't Angie also a Canadian. If so: Happy Thanksgiving to her as well.

Thanksgiving is a big deal here in the States. Lots of people travel home to spend the long weekend (many businesses close for the Friday after Thanksgiving as well). It also marks the official opening of the Christmas shopping season. Spending volume on the weekend after Thanksgiving is used as a barometer of expected holiday commerce.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:09 pm

Yes, I find myself thankful going into this weekend for many, many reasons.

However, my special thanks goes to the many composers and musicians of the past and of the present that have and continue to bring us beautiful music. Thank you so much for your contribution in enriching the lives of billions of people for hundreds upon hundreds of years.

I love listening to music and that would not be possible without you and your contributions. Thank you composers and musicians, and to musical stations like Beethoven.com, and to all involved in the production of music (Symphony Orchestras, Record Companies, etc.)

:grouphug:

:bow: (that one is for you *ig!)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:55 pm

Happy Thanksgiving neighbors! Do you also do turkey and trimmings? Never heard of pierogis for Thanksgiviing....and about traveling home to meet with family...I enjoy watching Planes, Trains and Automobiles with Steve Martin and John Candy to get me in the spirit.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:03 am

Serenity wrote:Happy Thanksgiving neighbors! Do you also do turkey and trimmings?

Yes, turkey with cranberry sauce/jelly, stuffing. And smoked leg of pork. My girlfriend is part Polish descent, so that is why perogies are on the menu! :wink: And I happen to really LOVE perogies (fried, boiled, baked), any way is good!

If it were a Thanksgiving dinner on my side of the family, 'tourtiere' would also be on the menu (meat pie). And perhaps pork hocks with gravy, with mashed potatoes. :yum: And of course, pumpkin pie, tarte au sucre or sucre a la creme! :yum:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:28 am

Catmando wrote:
Serenity wrote:Happy Thanksgiving neighbors! Do you also do turkey and trimmings?

Yes, turkey with cranberry sauce/jelly, stuffing. And smoked leg of pork. My girlfriend is part Polish descent, so that is why perogies are on the menu! :wink: And I happen to really LOVE perogies (fried, boiled, baked), any way is good!

If it were a Thanksgiving dinner on my side of the family, 'tourtiere' would also be on the menu (meat pie). And perhaps pork hocks with gravy, with mashed potatoes. :yum: And of course, pumpkin pie, tarte au sucre or sucre a la creme! :yum:

Time for a new handle: FATcatmando....

Happy Merry, and enjoy that grand tradition, The Thanksgiving nap. Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends, wherever they may be.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:39 am

GreatCarouser wrote:Time for a new handle: FATcatmando....

Fortunately, I don't indulge like that every weekend, otherwise I would become a FattyCatty. :kitty:

I may need a "cat" nap after eating lots of turkey. Apparently there is something in turkey that makes one sleepy after eating it?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:36 pm

Catmando wrote:
GreatCarouser wrote:Time for a new handle: FATcatmando....

I may need a "cat" nap after eating lots of turkey. Apparently there is something in turkey that makes one sleepy after eating it?

triptophan.....nite nite......
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Serenity, do you make tamales for Christmas?

2 yrs ago, OT's sister made a yam pudding that was so delicious Im going to start serving it for dessert. I'm hoping to have it again this year, but gotta get thru Halloween first.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:37 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends!!

As I am officially due the day after American Thanksgiving, I have ABSOLUTELY NO PLANS for Thanksgiving. My mother-in-law and her husband are planning to come out - either to help with the newborn, help out around birth time or help us prepare for our little arrival, depending on when little girl decides to show up. :wink: I told them that if they wanted a nice dinner, they can go to my brother's house, but I'm not planning on being anywhere or telling anyone I'm bringing something to dinner, etc. She tried to see if I knew better when little girl was likely to arrive, but there's no rhyme or reason to it.... I'm so big (not so big that doctors are concerned, but everyone thinks I'm gonna go any minute) that I'm thinking early, but we'll see... I'd really rather not have to eat hospital food for Thanksgiving (although I'm sure my family would bring the good stuff in for me).

Will have to get my nephew his b'day present early so it doesn't get forgotton - he turns 6 on the 27th! He's enjoying the heck out of kindergarten, but won't talk to the teacher unless he's called on. He's one of those kids who is shy when he's not with family and a total motor-mouth around us (talked to my parents on the phone for over an hour after his first day at school!).
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:23 am

OK, I'm going to make it official. I'm officially requesting those who know of excellent Thanksgiving and Christmas food to post the recipes on the Recipe thread. I wonder if the yam pudding resembles the filling for sweet potato pie? I may not be able to sleep :rant:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:01 am

I'll see if I can find my original recipe for Christmas Stollen. I tried a different recipe that last time I made it, and it wasn't as good, but I haven't been able to find the recipe I started with. It was e-mailed to me long ago, so I don't even know where it came from.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:32 pm

I feel like an Anaconda that just finished off eating a wild boar or alligator and does not have to eat for another year! :oops:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:02 pm

Details, oh over-fed one!
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:06 pm

Yes, details. I'm visualizing a roasting pan that could hold a (small) anaconda stuffed with a (very small) wild boar. Things are getting out of hand.

My aunt used to make the Christmas Stollen, but her eyesight is very, very bad and she no longer bakes. Unfortunately, she's a fling-and-feel-and-listen baker, and the recipes don't ever specify which sound the dough should be making when it squeaks. I clearly remember that the recipe for the dough starts from a sponge and then involves the usual raised sweet bread dough stuff, plus spices and candied fruit. I can do the glaze - kirsch and powdered sugar are no challenge to combine.

Mother was always fond of fried things - the rosettes, and fattigmann bakkels. My personal faves are things like the springerle (anise flavor, WOOHOO!) and anything involving far too much butter.

And I dearly love fruitcake. It's best when it's about 40 proof. :grin:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:19 pm

The original recipe I used didn't use the candied fruits, which is why I liked it. It did use orange and lemon peel, and almonds, but I don't recall what else.

The last one I tried used the candied fruit. I baked four small stollens, two with fruit and two without. I preferred the ones without, but the original was still a better recipe, although I had 'fill in some holes' in the recipe. That is to say there were ingredients called for in the ingredient list but they were not included in the instructions part, so I had to guess where to put them into the recipe. I guess I got them mostly correct, because it was the best stollen I've made.

I've scoured the web for a similar recipe in the past, to no avail. I'll have to dig through the recipe drawer to see if I can find it. I really liked it.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:14 pm

I have this goal of making these laminated butter-laden breton pastries.
Recipe - check
Ingredients - check
Weather cooperating - check
Remembering to start whilst the Altoid is otherwise occupied for an hour - still working on that one!
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:21 pm

I spent Columbus Day celebrating Thanksgiving with our Canadian friends in Quebec and Ottowa. I feel the following needs to be stated, clearly and on the record.

Americans don't know how to make gelato, but Canadians do. I had another feeble attempt at gelato while in baja-ba, Maine, and two highly succesful experiences with gelato while in Quebec and Ottowa. I wish I knew why, and could teach the Americans who lie about gelato how to tell the truth about it.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections