Lioness wants to know...

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Lioness wants to know...

Postby lioness » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:08 pm

analog,
i would like to hear stories about your bluejay when you have time. they are one of my favorite birds from back esat and i have not found any here in CO.
My music is best understood by children and animals.
Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
lioness
2nd Chair

Postby analog » Tue May 03, 2005 6:50 pm

Golly, Lioness it was so long ago seems like a galaxy far away... mid 1950's....

A windstorm broke off a tree limb that was carrying a nest. Only one hatchling survived the fall, the adult jays could only call frantically from above. So we took the little fellow into the house, not knowing what to do just warmed him up. He was all triangular beak and fuzz, as in the old Disney nature movies. Soon he was squawking for food whenever we got near. We tried cottage cheese and milk, added hard boiled egg yolk to the mix, he noisily downed a lot of it and after a few days seemed to thrive. He grew quickly, sprouted feathers and in a few weeks was attempting flight. Our mix probably was missing something because his wing feathers were scraggly, particularly the left one. His first few flights were left hand spirals to the floor, but after he figured out asymmetric flapping was able to navigate the house albeit at great expenditure of energy... Soon we shifted his diet to birdseed, which he enjoyed scattering about a four foot radius from his dish.

We had to move Jaybird from his perch in the kitchen into a cage for reasons of hygeine, but Mom let us play with him in the house a lot. He loved to sit on your head and stir his beak around in your hair, and would hop to your shoulder and root in your shirt pocket to see what's in there. He'd entertain a roomful of kids going from one to another, tugging at eyeglass hinges, hair, shirt buttons, earlobes,,whatever he could reach from a shoulder..

Jays are curious and will pick things up and hide them. It is amusing to watch a jay in a desk drawer, he'll throw the paperclips and peck apart the pencils. Cigarettes are immediately pecked apart and scattered. He loved to come to the breakfast table and steal Cheerios from my bowl, carrying them atop the curtain rod to eat them. One morning he got into the open bottle of vitamin pills - for years we found them stuffed into books and crevices in the furniture. Like a cat he would get right in the middle of anything you were focusing on. Once he was loose while we boys had a model airplane motor apart and, of course, the needle valve disappeared. Mom found it a few days later stuffed in jaybird's favorite dictionary, near a fossilized vitamin pill. He would wreck a game of monopoly, carrying off the houses and hotels and scattering the money. We kids loved it.

Jays imitate sounds - he learned that loud "whistle" that Dad used to call us in for dinner, he picked up a loud "shriek" from my sister and her friends' raucous laughter, and a few notes from "Peter and the Wolf". With a mix of bird and human sounds, all at full volume, Jaybird would commence to wake the household at sunrise - he wanted company and would keep it up until somebody came into the room.

Jaybird probably ate one of those vitamin pills for not long after the open bottle incident he blossomed out in magnificent new blue plumage with symmetric wingfeathers. His flying improved dramatically. After a few more months he began paying attention to birds at the feeder outside the kitchen window. We commenced setting his cage outside for an hour or two a day, and eventually opened his door. He made some forays into the trees but at first came back to his cage and food supply. His forays got longer and longer, finally one night he stayed out. We saw him at the feeder for a few days thereafter, then he just blended in with the other jays. But we heard his distinct "whistle" for some time.

So I've always a soft spot in my heart for bluejays and would not hesitate to raise another, especially if there are kids in the household.

Sorry for the essay, Lioness.

<small>[ 05-03-2005, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: analog ]</small>
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Tue May 03, 2005 11:53 pm

Neat story, analog. Now THAT'S what the media should be picking up.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed May 04, 2005 8:35 am

What a great story! Thanks for sharing. I was only disturbed a little by:
Originally posted by analog:
...added hard boiled egg yolk to the mix, he noisily downed a lot of it and after a few days seemed to thrive...
Didn't that make your jay a cannibal? :)

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Angie Parkes » Wed May 04, 2005 10:42 am

Analog, that's a wonderful story. I'm going to print it out and read it to my kids. My little guy especially likes non-fiction animal stories and he'll be really moved by this.
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby analog » Wed May 04, 2005 1:29 pm

Originally posted by treebeau:
Didn't that make your jay a cannibal? :)

Regards,
Tim B. [/QB]
Maybe. We thought about that, and earthworms were suggested but Mom had veto power over what we brought into the kitchen. At least the eggs were store bought....

I'm glad you liked the story. It's all true, and if you're ever in Miami Springs Florida you might still hear mockingbirds singing "Peter and the Wolf".
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby lioness » Wed May 04, 2005 4:56 pm

analog,
thank you so much for posting your much enjoyed tale. it was WONDERFUL and put a well needed smile on my face. :D

since i was a child i had always fantasized of having either a Jay or a large Crow as an interactive part of household.

maybe one day...
My music is best understood by children and animals.
Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
lioness
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:12 pm

Lioness, where art thou?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:25 pm

Know you're looking for Lioness, but this allowed me to discover this thread.

1. Saurbraten (made by Grandma, when she was up for it), Chinese chicken & broccoli (best at Chan's Peking III, Poughkeepsie, NY), Salmon (best while in Ireland - fresh caught!).

2. Like the dolphin idea - I watched too much Jaques Cousteau as a kid to not be fascinated with water animals. But a really useful pet would be boa constrictor - take care of any pests around the house and yard, and they're really good at those lower back massages. Held our bio department head's boa for an hour or so at a kid's event in college (hey- don't take that the wrong way...). My back felt great after that and the boa was really laid back.

3. Half full....but maybe better if it was filled with something yummy....
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:31 pm

yeah where is she?
"going to CA in 2 weeks. setting another trip next month to the mid west. in the mid autum i want to visit NY.
this was in a 7/7/05 post, so hopefully she's enjoying herself in the mid west. I don't think they have computers there... :p
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:02 am

Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty,
We have a big saucer of milk waiting for you :)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Catmando » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:38 pm

lioness wrote:this is a site about ME!!! :D

actually it has nothing to do with me, except curiosity...

i am interested to know (everybody now)....

1. what are your 3 favorite ethnic foods?

2. if you could have a pet/family relationship with any animal you choose, which one would it be and why?

3. is the glass half empty or half full?

<small>[ 03-01-2005, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: lioness ]</small>

1. In this order: 1) Indian , 2) Japanese, 3) Italian

2. A blue whale! The biggest animal of them all! :D

3. Glass is 1/2 full for sure (actually most of the time it's pretty darn close to full). :wink: Life is good.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:57 pm

Lioness has been MIA for quite sometime now...
Hope she is OK whatever she is doing...
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby analog » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:30 pm

lioness wrote:
....... stories about your bluejay .... they are one of my favorite birds from back esat and i have not found any here in CO.

I seem to remember Rocky Mountain Park was full of Mountain Jays, larger than your common eastern jays and less brilliant blue... and bold chipmunks that block the pedestrian path, brazenly demanding peanuts..

Have you run across any of them?

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Culture Connections