That annoying emergency room commercial

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

That annoying emergency room commercial

Postby lmoatman » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:11 pm

Does anyone else find that commercial that is currently running on Beethoven.com about the moaning idiot suffering from boredom or whatever it is he's suffering from to be as annoying as I do?

I love Beethoven.com - but every time that commercial comes on I find myself flipping to another internet station.

Am I alone in my miser?
lmoatman
Section Player

Re: That annoying emergency room commercial

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:46 pm

Fantasia,
Welcome to the pit!
I sometimes find it annoying but the do have to pay their bills. I just lower the volume at times. Don't want to miss any music!

Post often.

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby stever » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:12 am

Originally posted by Fantasia:
Does anyone else find that commercial that is currently running on Beethoven.com about the moaning idiot suffering from boredom or whatever it is he's suffering from to be as annoying as I do?

I love Beethoven.com - but every time that commercial comes on I find myself flipping to another internet station.

Am I alone in my miser?
Fantasia:
Welcome aboard.

I don't mind that commercial nearly as much as the John and Brad advert hawking the Beethoven BBS. That spot has the same effect on me as nails on chalkboard.

Actually, if I am thinking about the same ad you are, I kind of like the line about the "post-mortem drip".
If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.
Thomas Jefferson
stever
5th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:07 am

Hi Fantasia, welcome to the Pit! :)

Yes Fantasia, that commercial seems kind of........Mickey Mouse. :D

IMO, the commercials are a small price to pay for this great radio station, and the good people who make it possible. That being said, I also appreciate that the folks at B.com seem to be unusually sensitive to their audience's reaction to the ads they run, and have changed ads to placate us.

:cool:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Rob Richardson » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:08 am

I agree about both the quality of the John and Brad commercial and about the "post-mortem drip" line.

Rob
Rob Richardson
5th Chair

Postby NateBrei » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:11 am

Actually, if I am thinking about the same ad you are, I kind of like the line about the "post-mortem drip".
Other than the "really sick" moaning, I don't find the commercial too bad. However, I did ask b.com about the above line since "post-mortem drip" doesn't make any sense since "post-mortem" means after death. Nicole Marie replied that the line is really "post-boredom drip". If you turn up your volume really loud & listen really carefully, you too should be able to hear the "b" instead of the "m". ;) But, then you'd have to REALLY hear the moaning, too.

Nate
NateBrei
4th Chair

Postby lioness » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:14 am

the John and Brad diddy just plain sux. i'd rather listen to the Four Seasons... repeatedly. :D
My music is best understood by children and animals.
Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
lioness
2nd Chair

Postby christianb1 » Wed May 11, 2005 12:37 pm

I agree. I turn off my speakers every time I hear that commercial coming on.
W. CHRISTIAN
christianb1
Section Player

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed May 11, 2005 12:59 pm

Welcome to the pit wldbill1
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Wed May 11, 2005 2:53 pm

Hi Wldbill1, welcome to the Pit! :)

What kind of motorcycles?
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bacchus » Wed May 11, 2005 9:07 pm

I find the commercials irritating to say the least. They are very amateurish. I basically listen to another station now. Welcome wldbill1. What kind of bicycling?
Eating grapes is like drinking wine in pill form
bacchus
5th Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu May 12, 2005 3:14 pm

Originally posted by bacchus:
I find the commercials irritating to say the least. They are very amateurish. I basically listen to another station now. Welcome wldbill1. What kind of bicycling?
Some of the current b.com ads are worse than what we did in college radio. I do think its funny when HRH hits the computer to get it working though. :)

BigJon
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu May 12, 2005 3:33 pm

The best one is when H.R.H. is asking about
Boccherini,they don't have it, then tells the guy "Your Useless"
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu May 12, 2005 4:11 pm

I don't mind the commercials, since they help keep the station on the air. Some of them are fun, some are tiresome, but they beat the heck out of "membership drives".

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby tan » Thu May 12, 2005 4:34 pm

let's face it, the music we are listening too has to be financed somehow, so the if comercials are the price we have to pay...so be it.
having said this, they are pretty awfull, the caddy comercial leaves my theeth on edge, far into the next piece of music.
tan
don't judge book by the movie
tan
3rd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu May 12, 2005 4:38 pm

tan,

welcome to the B.comBB! Nice to see listeners from all over checking in.

I've been reading books by Bernard Moitessier. He grew up your area, sailing junks along the coasts of the peninsula.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby tan » Thu May 12, 2005 4:49 pm

HI SHAPLEY,
thought i was pretty up on books about cambo, but never heard about this one. when was it published?

we havea library for our guests and like to keep it up to date, for as far as possible, the next- well kind of- bookstore is in Bangkok, about 12 hours away, by motorcycle, boat,bus and foot and bus again then again a bus and then a taxi..

bye the way, we have three curses that we cite all the time here, 'may you live in interesting times' is one of them, theo: ' may you have lots of staff', and 'may you get what you want...'
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu May 12, 2005 5:05 pm

Welcome to the pit Tan!
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu May 12, 2005 5:07 pm

I believe he actually grew up in Vietnam, but traveled up and down the coasts in his early age. His latest book Tamata and the Alliance, published in 1995 (a year after his death) deals with his early life. I haven't read it yet, it's next on my list. It's sitting on the table waiting for me to finish the one I'm reading now.

His first three books deal with his sailing voyages. Sailing to the Reefs tells of his first voyage from what was then French Indochina. It was published in the late '50s or early '60s. The second is called Cape Horn: The Logical Route and was published in the mid '60s, dealing with his voyage round that geologic obstacle. The one I'm just finishing, his third, is called The Long Way, and tells of his entering the Golden Globe race in 1968-1969, which was the first solo non-stop race around the world. All of his books contain glimpses of his early life, and its influence on his later love of the sea.

He was an interesting character. He is pretty much considered the patron saint of single-handed sailors.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby tan » Thu May 12, 2005 5:32 pm

Thanks, Shapley,
that sounds like great reading, will try and find the books!
From what you write it certainly seems like he grew up in what was then called Indochine, was he French? a childhood like that would influence anybody for the rest of their lifes...
thanks again,
tan
ps: isn't it fun to have a good read waiting on the table?
tan
tan
3rd Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections