Hands across the Atlantic

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Hands across the Atlantic

Postby lliam » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:32 am

Originally posted by Serenity:
I would love to speak a foreign language, but I can't. So I grew hair under my arms instead.
:) ;)
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:26 am

Who's leading the world in political correctness? I found this link on the Yahoo main page and it made me think of this thread. Gee, I wonder why we are so liked and admired around the world. Is this behavior related to the torture we're hearing in the news recently? (What came first, the chicken or the egg?)

Everyone deals with some sort of bully but this seems to be getting worse over time. I wonder what kind of advice I can give to my kids.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051113/ap_on_re_us/asians_bullied
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:39 am

What a timely post considering Bush is off to Asia. Bon Voyage Curious George.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:38 pm

" the broadest strokes, Baldillo said, Asian youth are sometimes small in stature and often adhere to cultural mores urging them to avoid confrontation and focus on academics. Many don't report bullying because they fear repercussions or don't want to embarrass their families, "

I think she's missing the Big Picture. Every new immigrant group gets this kinda garbagy treatment.Most kids would prefer not to embarrass their families. The Irish might have been small, but their reputation suggests they werent culturally adverse to fighting back. Didnt stop them from getting bullied. Etc Etc Etc.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:50 pm

Who's this Baldillo you're quoting?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:10 pm

Aimee Baldillo is a lawyer with the National Asian Pacific American Legal Consortium.

Bullying is something that happens in schools, with a variety of target types, but it sounds like the whole thing got way out of hand at that one school. When bullying starts, it needs to be suppressed, forcefully, at once. Otherwise, it goes from bad to worse.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:15 pm

Originally posted by Serenity:
Who's leading the world in political correctness?
The UK for sure.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:48 pm

I'm thinking the French. Remember,their recent & on-going riots are due to "poverty" etc....

Baldillo was in the article you linked, Serenity. Sorry I rushed and didnt attribute.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:51 pm

Oh, so NAPA Valley is National Asian Pacific American Valley? :roll:

Jolly Good!
Serenity
1st Chair

Links across the Atlantic Ocean

Postby lliam » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:47 am

The interesting report on the girl rescued from an underground bunker in South Carolina has a Yorkshire connection in that it was in Kershaw County and the girl was taken to Camden Town afterwards.
Camden was founded by Joseph Kershaw, who gave his name to the county. He was born at Baitings Gate Farm, Soyland, near Ripponden, the son of Joseph Kershaw, and emigrated to Charleston, South Carolina, where he established a trading company.
He moved to an upstate area which he named Camden after Lord Camden who was supporting American independence.
He was a member of the Militia and when Lord Cornwallis arrived with his troops, many recruited in Yorkshire (the 33 Regiment which became the Duke of Wellington), Joseph was evicted from his home and exiled to Bermuda.
His two sons were in England at the time and partly educated at Rishworth School.
Joseph's illustrious grandson General Joseph Brevard Kershaw was a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War.
So the links of Kershaw county to Yorkshire are indeed very strong.

:grouphug: :deal: :grouphug:
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Culture Connections