COFFEE!!

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

COFFEE!!

Postby Catmando » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:35 am

I've decided to start a thread to "rival" the popular CHOCOLATE!! thread. Because I love drinking coffee (a little too much :wink: ). And I'm sure there are others out there too!

Share your thoughts above how much you love (or hate) coffee, how many cups you drink a day, etc.

The best Christmas gift I got last year (perhaps with the exception of a few classical music CD's), was a coffee bean grinder. Oh my :!: ...........what a difference that makes....freshly ground coffee.

As for Starbucks.......not a big fan. I find their coffee WAY too strong, personally.

So, grab a java and come on over for some 'Coffee Talk' (remember Mike Myers Linda Richman Saturday Night Live skit? :rofl: )
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:53 am

Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:09 pm

I'm enjoying my fourth cup now, although I rarely get to finish a full cup before it gets too cold to drink.

I like Starbucks coffee. I used to drink a double shot espresso almost every day after lunch, but it was starting to irritate my stomach, so I switched to a grande cappuccino. I find the milk in the cappacccino is easier on the stomach than straight espresso.

When I first started drinking coffee, I always liked it with cream and sugar. After a year or so, I dropped the sugar and drank it only with cream. When I was in the Navy, I started drinking it 'black and bitter', which is my preference now.

I first had espresso in Nice, France, during a port visit there. After lunch the waiter asked if we would like coffee, or rather 'café', to which we agreed. I almost fell out when they brought out this tiny cup with three sugar cubes, almost as much sugar as coffee, on the side. I took a sip, added a sugar cube, and drank it slowly (when in Rome, etc.). My shipmate took a sip, added his three sugar cubes and then the other two from my saucer, and then drank about half of his. I made it a habit to order café after my meals whenever I was in a port that offered it. I thought it was quite enjoyable.

My father drank coffee all the time, morning, noon, and night. It was a regular part of his diet. He also drank his 'black and bitter'. No matter how bitter or strong, he never watered it down. Even on his death bed, it was his drink of choice.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:15 pm

I like Tim Horton's coffee (a Canadian icon). Alot of people order the "Double-Double" (2 cream, 2 sugar). I prefer 2 cream, 1 sugar. For awhile, I would even put whipping cream 35% in my coffee. Wow, super YUMMY, but very fattening. :oops:

I could never go for the "black" coffee. :yuk: However, with English Breakfast tea, I'll drink it black, but sometimes with just the slightest amount of milk or cream.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:17 pm

Starbucks is a bit strong for me, so I usually order a Mocha or a Latte. The milk thins it out.

I prefer Millstone's flavored coffees, my current selection at work is the Chocolate Velvet, the French Vanilla, the Caramel Nut Creme, and the Hazelnut Creme. This is brewed in a Mr. Coffee or other drip pot, and is good to go as soon as the dripping stops; no sugar, no cream, nothing but a cup to hold the coffee.

How much do I drink? Idontwannatalkaboutit. The rumor that my hand is permanently deformed into a coffee-cup-holding shape is a lie, dadgummit!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:20 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote: The rumor that my hand is permanently deformed into a coffee-cup-holding shape is a lie, dadgummit!

Selma, do you suffer from 'cuppaltunnel syndrome'? :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:22 pm

My aunt used to drink coffee constantly, day and night. She never slept, to the best of my knowledge. She talked constantly, and shook uncontrollably, sometimes shaking so much she shook half the coffee out of her cup.

She was still talking three days after she died. They had to close the coffin to shut her up. :roll:
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby treebeau » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:00 pm

Dawgs, dawghters, you know, no big whoop.

On workdays I drink 2 cups in the morning. Arabica from Sam's Club. Already ground, even though I have a small Krupps grinder (an electric version of the one that scared the cows in the movie "City Slickers"). In the past I'd get some flavored beans now and then, but it has been a long time.

Now..tawk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. The Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. Discuss !!

Regawds,
Tim "Pawl Bawldwin" B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:14 pm

treebeau wrote:Now..tawk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. The Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. Discuss !!

Regawds,
Tim "Pawl Bawldwin" B.

:rofl: :rotfl:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:54 pm

I quit drinking coffee. It was tearing up my stomach. But that's what driving in to SF every morning at 5:30AM with 22 oz of practically espresso will do to you.

I started drinking tea instead. Tea - Earl Grey - Hot...as Capitan Jean Luc Picard would say. I am back to my old tricks though, in terms of concentration and usually use 2 bags per cup, drinking it straight, of course...no cream or sugar. I still love the "buzz" of coffee and occassionally do have it...especially when backpacking in the Sierra. What a way to start a day in the mountains. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:00 pm

jamiebk wrote:I am back to my old tricks though, in terms of concentration and usually use 2 bags per cup, drinking it straight, of course...no cream or sugar.

I do 2 bags of tea per cup also. Otherwise, I find it just tastes like I'm drinking hot water.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:38 pm

jamiebk wrote:I quit drinking coffee. It was tearing up my stomach. But that's what driving in to SF every morning at 5:30AM with 22 oz of practically espresso will do to you.

What a candy-ass California wuss !

Just kidding.

Geez, that drive and time of day would be stressful enough for me.

Regards,
Tim "Pawl Bawldwin" B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:13 pm

I drink coffee all day!
LOVE it...

the joke around here is...

Cars run on Gasoline...

TM runs on Coffee....

:crazy: wired........ :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:22 pm

Tea. I find that four ordinary Lipton bags makes a perfectly satisfactory potful of it. I usually add about a dozen packets of Splenda to the pot, and then pour the tea over a whole lot of ice in a tall glass.

What? You mean drink it hot? Well, OK, if you insist. But it's a lot better well creamed and sugared with Bailey's and that wouldn't work well in the AM.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:32 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:TM runs on Coffee....

and thus runs to the bathroom every 15 minutes. :owned:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:12 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Tea. I find that four ordinary Lipton bags makes a perfectly satisfactory potful of it. I usually add about a dozen packets of Splenda to the pot, and then pour the tea over a whole lot of ice in a tall glass.

What? You mean drink it hot? Well, OK, if you insist. But it's a lot better well creamed and sugared with Bailey's and that wouldn't work well in the AM.

Oh Selma....a woman of your taste and distinction using Lipton! I'm shocked.... :rofl: Try "Stash Double Bergamont Earl Grey" and you'll never switch back. (well...OK...it tastes kinda funny when its cold. Lipton makes pretty good iced tea.)
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:43 pm

The bergamot flavor doesn't blend well with the Bailey's. A girl's got to have priorities.

I seem to be fussy about my coffee, and not so fussy about the tea. I can't even taste any difference between fresh and microwave-reheated tea (though reheated coffee tastes vile).
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:48 pm

I have to sip coffee continuously throughout the day from the moment I wake up. I once counted 20 cups at work. Also, when I leave work, I have to have one for the road. I've probably been the butt of jokes among groups of "break room regulars" at 3 different buildings.

I like the dark stuff too. There is a selection of flavors at work. Each box comes with a 1-10 scale and an indicator of how light or dark a particular flavor is. I like the darkest ones like Dark Magic and Sumatran Reserve. At home I grind whole beans of French Dark Roast or Colombian Supreme. If there were a Juan Valdez Donkey Butt Breath Supreme, I'd probably be a regular consumer. I don't dilute my coffee with milk or cream but I don't like it bitter; I'll mix in 2 packs of Equal per cup (zoinks).

My bladder seems to be fully functional but I worry about an eventual breakdown. I've been meaning to look up the price of adult pampers at the store in case I have to budget the item in retirement. When I look into my cup and see how darkly stained it has become, I imagine I'm looking at the inside of my digestive system.

I'm afraid to stop drinking the stuff because of the withdrawal symptoms I have to face but the funny thing about my coffee addiction is that my favorite drink is beer!

:toast:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:37 pm

I feel about coffe the way I feel about Holst's The Planets. I have my preferences, but in a pinch I will put up with damn near anything hot and black.

Fourbucks is overrated, overpriced, and overroasted. I've probably had two cups of their coffee. Not even as good as Tomita's version of The Planets. There's a Seattle's Best place one block from my office where I pick up a cup on my way in, then another one about an hour later. I used to brew my own, but when we moved into the new buildings, they prohibited all appliances in the offices, and my coffee budget went ape. There is a room called a "pantry" where you can have a coffeemaker, but there are about twenty pots in there and about six outlets, so I've conceded victory to the plug hogs.

When I'm at home for the day, I nearly always grind beans fresh and make a four-cup pot. I'm currently enjoying Trader Joe's organic Bolivian beans. I'm not much for flavored coffees, or for cream or sugar in my cup. But a glazed donut is a nice accompaniment a couple of times a month.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:40 pm

Serenity wrote:I'm afraid to stop drinking the stuff because of the withdrawal symptoms I have to face

Several years ago (twenty five?) I started having migrane headaches on Saturday night. Turned out to be a real party pooper. Then bar came up with the possibility I was going through caffiene withdrawal.

Let's just say that I no longer suffer from withdrawal. :crazy:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections