William F. Buckley

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

William F. Buckley

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:38 pm

He always seemed unconcerned what others may have thought--he was comfortable believing he was always right. Back when I was in school, I spent some time on the debate team and happened to catch a debate between Buckley and Robert Vaughn--so I was able to score it as a debate would be scored in our district. Vaughn was a superior debator and squashed him like a bug. The moderator declared in a draw. Buckley smirked as if he knew he'd really won and Vaughn just hadn't understood him. During the debate Buckley became agitated and squirmed quite a bit. Both behaved graciously afterword.

I always felt uneasy with Buckley's views as they seemed transparently to favor the privileged class from which he came. His curious diction was distracting--I did not know that English was not his first language.

Today, instead of Buckley we have people like Rush. That's not an improvment and is our loss.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Re: William F. Buckley

Postby Shapley » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:28 pm

Mr. Buckley was highly respected and will be missed.

R.I.P.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:20 am

I'm curious why english wasn't his first language as he was born and raised in the U.S.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:55 pm

Here is a bio I found for him:

http://www.essortment.com/williamfbuckl_rxhy.htm

William F. Buckley was born on November 24, 1925, in New York City, the sixth of ten children in a devoutly Roman Catholic family. Because his grandfather had made a fortune in the oil business, Buckley's childhood in Connecticut was one of wealth and privilege, but also one of discipline and intellectual rigor. He was educated in England and France, and graduated from the Millbrook School in Millbrook, NY, in 1943.

Buckley's first language had been Spanish, having been raised by Mexican nannies, and he now studied at the University of Mexico before being drafted into the Army in 1944. After being discharged in 1946, he worked briefly for the CIA. He then attended Yale University, graduating in 1950. Shortly thereafter, at the age of 25, he became a literary sensation with the publication of his book, "God and Man at Yale," a scathing indictment of what would later be called "political correctness."
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:33 pm

Always hate to lose good writers.. about the language thing - it happens a lot...my youngest neice, for a time knew more words in Chinese than Spanish or English (dad is from Argentina and usually only speaks Spanish with the girls, American mom spoke English - though both fluent in both languages) since their nanny was Chinese and was with them from when youngest was 1-3 yrs old.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Return to Culture Connections