Happy Earth Day!

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Happy Earth Day!

Postby barfle » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:00 pm

Bar has had me make an area for a particular composting project she has that includes shredded leaves (which the vacuum does), grass clippings, and coffee grounds. I'm not sure where she got the recipe, but it's a new pile, and doesn't seem to attract any undesirable critters (beyond the squirrels, woodchucks, deer, chipmunks, raccoons, and the occasional turtle, frog, and rabbit). Ahh, they hang around anyway.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Re: Happy Earth Day!

Postby jamiebk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:07 pm

Our town does all of our composting for us (and thy are happy to sell it back). We put all of our garden waste and table scraps into our "green can". It's one of those rolling garbage cans that the trucks pick up. Anyway. Everything goes in there and the city waste contractor comes weekly and puts it all into a big truck and takes it away. It goes to a central composting facility where it gets made into compost that the contractor then sells. The profits offset some of the cost of pick-up etc.

My wife still prefers to have her own pile (which unfortunately is too large for our very limited garden/yard space.) She used to raise rabbits....man you shoulda seen all of that %^%hit. Now we are down to leaves, and kitchen scraps (w/o meat scraps of course)
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Culture Connections