What OTHER types of music do you like?

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

What OTHER types of music do you like?

Postby WeirdOne » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:44 am

Recently I engaged in a little e-mail dialogue (whose quick replies will always make her the QUEEN OF INTERNET RADIO) with Nicole Marie. The topic involved my own recent explorations into the musical sub-genre of Pyscho-billy and Punk. I have discovered, through my daughter in the former, and Nicole Marie (due to an ancient host bio wherein I discovered she liked Wendy O. Williams) for the latter.

Normally (and that term is most definitely a tenuous one, given my online name) I would disdain these types of music, but I found certain artists within both genres to be extremely compelling.

Prior to this recent conversion (and near worship of Wendy O at this juncture), I had broadened my horizons to include Latin Jazz, with Tito Puentes being the obvious front runner (I even have a cat named Tito Purrentes), Blues, and 50's jazz (Charlie Parker, Coltrane, and Coleman Hawkins). Of course, given the fact that I came of musical age in the late 60's and 70's, I still like rock...from that era.

Having digressed to the point of absurdity, which is, overall, my most defining trait, what OTHER types of music are we all into (and I use "we" in a vain, and somewhat desperate atttempt to validate my online identity)?
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson
WeirdOne
5th Chair

Re: What OTHER types of music do you like?

Postby Shapley » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:58 am

I still enjoy some rock, and some Jazz. Big band music is cool. I have albums by Dizzie Gillespie, Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey, and others.

I like what I like to call café music, which is kind of silly term, since all types of music are played in cafés. To me, this includes many types of small-ensemble or solo music: Dance tunes, International music, Belly-dancing music, folk music, etc.

When I first met my wife, she was a big fan of country music, and I listened to it with her, attending concerts, etc. I still enjoy some of the music, but not much. I remain a fan of Bob Dylan and Gordon Lightfoot. I suppose both would fit into my loose definition of café music.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:20 am

Heavy metal for me.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:32 am

I like metal too along with classic rock. I like bands such as Rush, Yes, Styx, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Led Zep.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:08 am

Stuck in the sixties and seventies, I'm afraid. Within that period, of course, reside a lot of hard rock, pop, soft rock, surf, country, acid rock, disco, and heavy metal, all of which I posess considerable quantities.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:02 am

Dixieland

:D
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Serenity » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Blues
Jazz Fusion
Rock (Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Progressive, Psychedelic)
Heavy Metal (Alternative, Progressive, Metal Fusion, Industrial)
Sci-Fi Music
New Age
World (Ethnic) Music
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:49 am

70's rock, recently became fond of doo wop, chorale music of many types.
Country & western, especially the hard core stuff, and older stuff.
Almost anything Dolly Parton - I love that quirky voice of hers.
Musicals, light opera (Gilbert & Sullivan esp). Slowly gaining appreciation for opera - I prefer the chorale music to the arias still.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:19 pm

Indonesian music, central asian music, some sub-saharan music.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Mahlersfifth » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:44 am

This past year I have seen in concert:

Gordon Lightfoot
KD Lang
Leonard Cohen
Taj Mahal

So that would be folk and blues.... oh and I saw a band called Run with the kittens... thrash to me... so heavy metal. AND I also saw George Carlin... that was music to my ears.
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

Return to Culture Connections