PETS!!!!

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: PETS!!!!

Postby piqaboo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Why did Bella think it was a good idea to pull the fertilizers out of the shed last night?
Between that, and eating corncobs (entire corncobs including the corn), she's got some odd dietary habits, that cant be all that good for her.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Boxer puppy fights off bees, saves boy’s life.

Rumors that there were cats snickering in the bushes could not be confirmed (but I know what I believe). :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:10 am

Haggis@wk wrote:Boxer puppy fights off bees, saves boy’s life.

Rumors that there were cats snickering in the bushes could not be confirmed (but I know what I believe). :rofl:

Dogs....man they'll do anything to come to the aid of their "family"...gotta love 'em. All dogs go to heaven...fortunately, it was not this one's time
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:12 am

All dogs may go to Heaven, but I've got one that's going to crackle in Purgatory a fewy years before he gets there....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Ayup.
Bella steals food from the table if we're not in the room.
Busted her half way thru the leftover french toast this am.
Got some serious training to do.

Other than that, she's a great dog. She was running about the yard this morning, and its such a lovely run.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:27 pm

piqaboo wrote:Ayup.
Bella steals food from the table if we're not in the room.
Busted her half way thru the leftover french toast this am.
Got some serious training to do.

Other than that, she's a great dog. She was running about the yard this morning, and its such a lovely run.

Counter-surfing is normal for most dogs, but that doesn't mean that it is acceptable. We have one dog who never touches a thing...cheese, meat...even bacon, unless it is in her bowl or offered. The other one??? Well, lets just say that I had to buy a new cast iron skillet after one hit our tile floor and broke when the dog tried to steal a treat. Since then, we've been working to re-direct this unacceptable behavior. We use positve reinforcement using treats but also pair that with some "actions can have negative consequences" training. Seriously, booby traps work well to curtail dogs counter-surfing. Many trainers recommend this and it does work. Tie a string to a tasty morsel of food or treat etc...tie the other end to a stack of empty tin cans...you can even put some pebbles in them. When the dog snatches the treat, and runs, the cans come tumbling and results in an unpleasant but safe experience for the dog. It's best to do this when the dog is unsupervised because he/she will realize that counter-surfing has negative consequences even if you are not present. After a number of tries, the counter-surfing will subside as the dog learns that there is nothing good to be gained from this behavior.
This is more than a nusiance behavior...dogs can be burned, cut or poisoned in the kitchen. best to nip it in the bud.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:51 pm

a dog will learn to be sneaky from a cat.

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:50 am

analog wrote:a dog will learn to be sneaky from a cat.

Snorf. I have a cat - MingToo Paperbiter Pintoes - who uses small dogs as minions in his plot to Rule The Universe. Or At Least The Kitchen Trash.

Big cat. He stands on his back feets and pulls the TrashCan over, kathump. Sends in the Dachahuahua, who is not all that bright but very persistant and willing to take orders from Big Sneaky Cat, and the Red Dachshund, who is willing to work for anyone who can reliably produce food rewards. GinaMarie the Dumb Blonde pulls out all the contents of the trashcan, and Scooter the slightly brighter and even more persistent arranges all the (former) trashcan contents artistically around the room. Big Sneaky Cat selects his preferred treat and removes himself from the scene of the crime, leaving his hapless minions to consume Stuff They Shouldn't Eat and get yelled at when I discover the giant mess and inevitable Decorative DogBarf.

The worst messes always seemed to involve bacon grease and coffee grounds. :yuck:

Both dogs are now gone to that big Trashpile In The Sky, the cat is going strong and always on the lookout for new minions.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:17 am

You can't train cats....they train you...lol :rofl: :crazy:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Culture Connections