My Weather Today

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: My Weather Today

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:49 am

77 in Honolulu, humidity 61, UV index 5, light winds
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Sigh. 37 and snowing in Dallas. Two days ago it was 70 on my patio. I hate snow
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Twenty-ish here and pond is starting to ice over. Brrr!

got a crackling fire and plenty of snacks, watching WW2 documentaries. All is good.

May cut some firewood this afternoon..

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:02 am

33, 1-3 inches of snow outside. I'm supposed to do some "mystery shopping" today. I hate cold and snow and cold, did I mention I hate cold?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:37 pm

they're issuing a 'winter storm warning' for our area for 3-6 inches from 4pm today to 5pm Wednesday. Not really a big deal for this area to handle - just depends on timing. If we're getting really heavy snow during the morning commute, it could be messy... I'm going to be prepared to work from home, but come in if it's not as bad as they're predicting.

Funny - on the weather channel this am - Atlanta - trying to dig out from their 3-5 inches with 11 plows for the whole Atlanta metro area (~6million people)! I bet each town around here has at least 6 plows - city of Rochester probably has 20-30. Crazy. Course, they rarely need them. And now they're predicting many kids might not get to school all week as it'll be too cold to just melt off. Here, a storm like that might have slowed down traffic for say, the morning commute. By the afternoon, all the main roads would be wet, side roads maybe slushy, highways running with many dry spots.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Not warm here so much, but OT's still wearing shorts.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:11 am

According to the weather report last night, 49 of the 50 states have snow. That includes Hawaii, which has snow on the Big Island (high in the mountains). Florida, apparently, is the only State to have escaped Winter's touch this week.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Looks like we've gotten a foot from last evening to this afternoon. No school closings - saw just one 1-hour delay. The storm part is past, we're just getting lake effect now. Pretty much all to the west of Rochester, so my folks and brother's family are pretty done with snow, but it's still coming down here. I decided to work from home - wasn't that bad, but didn't feel like losing the driving time. Plus got to take a 'study break' and reshovel the front walk and a bit of the driveway in case the delivery truck with Bella's new mattress and box spring get here before husband snowblows again.

Bella's snowman and Pumpkin's snow goon from Sunday are lumps in the front yard now...will be able to build MUCH bigger over the next few days!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:04 pm

59 yesterday morning when I took the kids to school. Houses here don't have heat; we don't own any sweaters or jackets. They don't sell those fur lined parkas in the tropics. It's too freakin' cold.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:58 pm

59 is cold, s'far as I'm concerned. At least we have a lively business in jackets etc, being close to the slopes.
Must be a bear to deal w it in in Hawaii. Yikes.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby analog » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:11 pm

Another clear beautiful sunny day, even if a COLD one.
Ten-ish this morning, got up to thirty-two this afternoon. I cut some wood then spent day on couch in front of fireplace.

You folks in southern climes have my sympathy - I remember how fifty in Florida Keys was just bitter cold. I think high humidity exaggerates the ability of air to carry heat from one's skin and clothing.

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:03 am

I left for Georgia Tuesday afternoon.
Right before the big snow.
There were snow flurries by Exit 4 on the NJ Turnpike.
Rain in DC/Virginia. but the temp was 32.

I stopped in Ashland, VA overnight and left at 7 the next morning.
for the most part, the roads were dry (no black ice) and made it to Augusta by 2 PM yesterday.

Weather here is unusually cold.... last night it went down to 19.
Brrrrrr........... and there is snow/ice on the ground here.

Schools are closed with only about 2 inches on the ground. NYC schools were opened yesterday

The area of Long Island I live in had over a foot of snow......

Warmer climates sound very nice right now.... :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:44 pm

The pile on our deck was 14 inches this am. Evening activities were canceled at a lot of schools, etc yesterday, but even waking up to about 10 degrees, wind chill of -2, everything is 'back to normal' here. Roads were sloppy and everyone was driving 10-15mph slower than usual, but not too bad. Just supposed to get some ranodm lake effect today - most of which is currently hitting Buffalo and we've go sunshine! up to 18 now, wind chill of 4. About right for January.

Talked to colleague in Miami this am. He was complaining of the cold too - in the mid-50s there. Of course, whenever it gets bad here, I just talk to my officemate who grew up in Alberta, Canada - it's almost tropical here in comparison.

GCR - how about just layering...do you actually have any long-sleeved shirts? Put a t-shirt on under and another over...that should work. My kids would be annoyed at having to wear anything heavier than a windbreaker at 59...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:25 pm

33 and overcast in Dallas. Did I mention that I hate cold?
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:33 and overcast in Dallas. Did I mention that I hate cold?

Yes you did!!!
:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:53 pm

going down to 17 degrees here tonight....
good grief.... just as cold here as it is in NY.....

Brrrrrr............

:mrgreen:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:58 pm

[looks casual] [polishes finger nails on shirt] Santa Ana conditions here today. I wore a short-sleeved t-shirt to take the dog out at 7 am. Going to reach the 80's most likely. Clear blue sunny sky.[/polishing nails][/looking casually unconcerned]
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:15 pm

How does one look formally unconcerned? Do you have to wear a tux or an evening gown for that?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Couldnt. Its too warm here for that sort of clothing. :P
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:06 pm

-21 Celsius this morning that -6 Fahrenheit for you non-metric types. Warmed up some to -6C.
Marye
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections