America's Disasters

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

America's Disasters

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat May 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Islands in the stream: The extraordinary homemade dams holding back the Mississippi as desperate residents try to save their homes

More power to them.

As an aside, why do I have to go to a British newspaper to find, what I believe, a fascinating story of American ingenuity and sheers guts? Even if they fail they can take some solace in the fact that they did, literally, everything they could do to save their homes.

Shapley commented, correctly on reflection, that these people have to live near locations that are eventually going to be hazardous and some take that threat seriously.

Good on them.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: America's Disasters

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue May 24, 2011 9:26 am

The Weather Channel, at least, did cover some of those folks making their own protections for their property... Amazing how much news I get from there these days.... I might be tempted to watch the 6 o'clock news, but seems that 75% of the content is not appropriate for kids... Now that Pumpkin can read, and watches my husband and I go through the newspaper everyday (though for me, it's about 3-4 days behind...), he'll look at the headlines and ask questions.

On a random, slightly related note - watching some footage of a tornado this am and Pumpkin asked if they were going to drive into the tornado. I told him that wasn't possible - if they came too close they'd be picked up and thrown. He said he wants to invent a vehicle that can drive into a tornado. So a kid interested in both science and destruction (he is 7 after all), wants to come up with a way to really be able to observe... who knows, he just might do it! The best thing about watching him lately is the boundless curiousity, inventiveness and sense of possibility...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue May 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Hmmmmm..... Something like an army tank with a vertical screw at each end to screw into the earth and (hopefully) hold it down. Does anyone know if a tornado will pick up a big tank?
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue May 24, 2011 7:26 pm

The M1 Abrams is >76 tons. I hope the winds couldn't pick it up.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Tue May 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Google the Storm Chasers TV show. They have two vehicles that will anchor to the ground in the face of a tornado.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed May 25, 2011 8:11 am

It's primarily a matter of weight vs. cross-sectional area. A van is easier to tip than a car, even if they weigh the same. I would think the low profile and lack of a broad unbroken surface area would make a tank a pretty safe bet. A bulldozer would be the same, except that the cab is usually exposed. It makes little difference if the vehicle survives, if the driver doesn't.

I've seen tractors blown over, but they are usually more top-heavy than tanks and bulldozers. They also have a narrower wheelbase, which makes them more likely to overturn.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Return to Culture Connections