The Station Without The Attitude?

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

The Station Without The Attitude?

Postby lliam » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:27 am

Nicole Marie <BR>Member <P> posted 07-30-2002 03:30 PM <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>Time to say goodbye is one of the worst pieces I have ever heard. It is a terrible classical crossover piece. Not to mention that Bocelli and Brightman drag down the good name of classical music with this piece. Call me a classical music snob...I live up to that easily.<BR>--------------------<P>Nicole Marie <P>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>Well Nicole,<BR> as much as I love you, I never thought you where into 'Character destroying' the same as JN.<P>If your'e a classical music snob surely you shouldn't be on 'The Station Without The Attitude' I thought the whole idea of b.com was, to play classical music without the snobbery.<P>Regards,<BR>Lliam. :confused:
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Re: The Station Without The Attitude?

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:24 am

You've got to be kidding! What I believe and how my company is designed do not have to match (I'm sure my bosses will back me on this one). I do have my own opinions and one is that Time to Say Goodbye is a train crash. As a classical musician (I even have the degree to match) I am so turned off by the hack job Bocelli and Brightman sing on that recording. <P>As for Without the Attitude, I think I do have one. I will play the request when I receive it but I don't have to enjoy it. I love my job and the people I work with and most of all the listeners (that makes my day...getting to meet all of you). But to say that because I don't like a piece contradicts my job is crazy. My job is my job and I love it and my opinion about the evil Time to say goodbye is just that...my opinion.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby tancred » Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:45 am

I agree with the lovely Nicolle Marie. Opinion need not equal attitude! :p<BR>Oh yeah - I kinda like Time to Say Goodbye, and Bocelli and Brightman. So sue me...<p>[ 08-01-2002: Message edited by: tancred ]
"What, the flames already?"<BR>The last words of Voltaire, a life-long atheist.
tancred
4th Chair

Postby lliam » Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:24 pm

I never kid Nicole,<P> I did say I loved you.<P> It seems my post bought out the devil in you.<P> I think you and Johny boy need to be a bit more rational, when replying to LISTENERS postings.<P>Regards,<BR>Lliam. :confused:
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby jnowacki » Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lliam:<BR><STRONG>I never kid Nicole,<P><BR> I think you and Johny boy need to be a bit more rational, when replying to LISTENERS postings.<P>Regards,<BR>Lliam. ;)<P>Oh, and you might want to back off a little with Nicole Marie...you're getting a little TOO personal in your comments, mate!<P>All the best,<P>-john- :cool:
john

"When all reasonable force fails, use a bigger hammer!"
jnowacki
4th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:41 pm

I'm not someone who is won over because someone says "but I said I love you." Ask my husband. <P>I have an opinion, I don't understand why you think I need to be more rational. I'm trying to have a normal conversation about this but it seems that is not possible. When you want to discuss in a rational way why I can't stand that piece, let me know.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby EJA » Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:48 pm

Lliam -- it's the <I>station</I> that doesn't have an attitude. The announcers have all sorts of attitudes. In fact, anyone who has a spine has an attitude of some sort. The station is more or less neutral; the employees of the station are opinionated -- sort of like you.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby lliam » Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:14 pm

Lliam -- it's the station that doesn't have an attitude. The announcers have all sorts of attitudes. In fact, anyone who has a spine has an attitude of some sort. The station is more or less neutral; the employees of the station are opinionated -- sort of like you.<BR>--------------------<P>— EJA <P>Well put Ethan,<P> even though a little sarcasm crept in there.<P>Lliam. <P> ;) :p
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:35 am

There's plenty of attitude (= opinion) on the bulletin board, and too little attitude (= snobbery) on the station. Classical music (at least the best of it) IS several cuts above other types of music. It was developed by brilliant minds over centuries, and, therefore, reached much farther beyond the primitive than any other music.<P>I find Time to Say Goodbye cloying (double attitude = snobbish + opinionated). I think Brightman has a beautiful voice and Bocelli a dead one (due to his impairment). However, I think they are both over-marketed, and I resent that on behalf of lesser known, more deserving talents.<P>Personally, I would appreciate people explaining what it is they like or don't like about a musical piece or a performance. There was once a critique that went something like " Last night Miss Jones played Beethoven. Beethoven lost." That critique, however clever, was criticized for the total lack of explanation. It's easy to like or dislike. It takes a little effort to figure out why, but it's a good exercise in reasoning.<BR>Shos-with-the-big-time-attitude-over-classical-music.
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:38 am

Shos (laddie),<P>Could a person who uses the word "cloying" be considered a snob? ;) <P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:43 am

Tim, some advice: Never do a Highland fling on a windy day (you'd get goosebumps in places you didn't know existed).....<P> :eek:
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby tancred » Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:17 am

As a reenactor, I can assure you that going "regimental" (nekkid)in a kilt is a grand experience to say the least! :eek:
"What, the flames already?"<BR>The last words of Voltaire, a life-long atheist.
tancred
4th Chair

Postby Bones » Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:19 pm

"If your'e a classical music snob surely you shouldn't be on 'The Station Without The Attitude' I thought the whole idea of b.com was, to play classical music without the snobbery."<P>It isn't snobbery to call crappy music crappy. It is, however, redundant, since crappy music speaks for itself.
"I try to think, but nothing happens!" - Curly Howard
Bones
3rd Chair

Postby Brodie » Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:56 pm

For god's sake, man. Whats the big deal. All Nicole said was that she didn't like a few people. Its not that big of deal. Just let it go. <P>I'm sure that Nicole listnes to many other things that she would consider good and probably listens to them when she's done with work and I'm sure you Lliam do the same, but for god's sake calm down. <P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby hhsailor » Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:23 pm

Nicole, if you and your on air partners were not opinionated and able and willing to express your opinions, I would be listening to a 256kbs NPR station feed without commercials!
hhsailor
5th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:00 pm

Thank you boys! You've made me laugh and now I can kick back this weekend and have a drink to all those who love my attitude! We here at Beethoven Radio raise one to you!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:44 am

Watch out! I wouldn't want you to be considered a station full of drunks! ;)<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby jnowacki » Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:21 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nicole Marie:<BR><STRONG>Thank you boys! You've made me laugh and now I can kick back this weekend and have a drink to all those who love my attitude! We here at Beethoven Radio raise one to you!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Now wait jes' a dadburned, confabulatin' minute! I ain't raising MY kilt for ANYone!<P>Oh....you meant a glass of WINE. Well, that's different! :o<p>[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: jnowacki ]
john

"When all reasonable force fails, use a bigger hammer!"
jnowacki
4th Chair

Postby audiogirl » Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brodie:<BR><STRONG>For god's sake, man. Whats the big deal. All Nicole said was that she didn't like a few people. Its not that big of deal. Just let it go. <P>I'm sure that Nicole listnes to many other things that she would consider good and probably listens to them when she's done with work and I'm sure you Lliam do the same, but for god's sake calm down. <P><BR>-Brodie</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Seems like I remember Nicole taking some pretty serious heat for listening to and liking Philip Glass.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:43 pm

Nicole will get no criticism from me for liking Philip Glass. One of the last concerts I attended was his violin concerto. Really, <I>really</I>, <B>really</B>, interesting, including all the repetition. I don't know how he makes saying the same thing 20 times fascinating, but Glass is one of my favorite modern composers!<P>Now, if I were to say what I feel about Mozart, I'm sure I'd get an earful from lots of CM fans out there!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Next

Return to Nicole Marie