The magic of Classical music

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: The magic of Classical music

Postby Brodie » Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:02 pm

No on emay have said what I said, but it does a prove a point. Most of you think that way. You all have clearly defined boundries. But atleast a few of you out there listen to different pieces of music that I can relate to. And see some one does agreee that Symphony X is good. <P>The S&M album is great. I actually knew three of the violinists and the guy who played the harp. The song Battery on that album is one of the most absolutely gorgeous mendings between metal and classical I ever heard.<P>Oh and if you want the most beautiful guitar song ever (this is just an off topic reference but it does deserve it) its called "Solitude" by Iced Earth. I can say so a fact that is the most beautiful since I myself play and have a heard a lot of guitar. Here's just a hnt of the talent that goes into that song.....Its played with 1 12 string guitar all at the same time. It is absolutely mind boggling how it is played. Download, buy, or just listen to that song and you will know what beauty is, and I'll argue that one to the death.<P>Well I'm glad to hear that even a classical disk jockey likes something like punk. Thats pretty cool, never met a Classical Dj who listens to Generation X. Keep up the good work man.<P>Its funny, I'm arguing what I believe, but only consider others ideas. Thats why I believe its better to have an idea. Its easy to change an idea. Changing a belief is tricky. People die for it. People kill for it...<P><BR>-Brodie<BR>"Oh how Dante was right"
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Thu Aug 15, 2002 8:18 pm

yeah, we do have clearly defined boundaries. so do you. everyone does. you're assuming that because most people on this board prefer classical only that they haven't listened to anything else; that they haven't tried anything else. classical is what most of us has settled on as the best music for us to listen to, because we have heard everything else, and like classical best. keep in mind that today it takes just as much of an open mind to get into classical as it does to listen to metal. you like both, and that's fine. there's nothing wrong with that.<P>you can keep on refusing to believe i didn't like iced earth. i just plain didn't :) . it's not for me.
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby Brodie » Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:14 pm

If you didn't listen to Dante's Inferno by Iced Earth, I'll never completely believe you. But I can't make you feel one way, just like you cannot make me feel the other (sounds dirty in the right context, sorry my mind's in the gutter right now). And thats fine. The thing I can't believe is that there is no metal that can compete with Classical. Be it, that some one has said it can compete with some of the best classical, many people don't believe it. But hey there's no way either one of us is budging (for lack of a better word) on this topic now are we?<P>But I just remembered something from a previous post....ok, had to go back and look at which one I was referring to...Th epost that said (I think its something like this):<P>Not to mention the fact that this is a forum for lovers of Classical music, not rock. What sympathy do rock listeners expect to encounter? If the roles were reversed and I was on a rock forum and expoused classical music what could I expect? <P>No offense to , I believe it is, Tancred who wrote it, but in any case this goes to who ever did write, but that is just another example of ignorance (once again, for lack of a better word) that many people who only listen to one type of music often mistake. Many Heavy Metalists of the Metallica/Megadeth genre often have Bach's first 3 Brandenberg concertos in their collections as well as metal. I'm sure that if you went to a rock forum, and actually understood some of their music as well as classical, they would treat you just like any other person on the forum. Many metalists love a little classical, its just hard finding people who love classical to also enjoy metal. I'm proud to say, i've bridged that gap in soceity, and I'm fine with it (if anyone cared to noticed).<P>So just go to a rock forum one day, talk some rock, talk some classical, and you'll fit in just fine.<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby Mr Mustard » Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:15 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Barry something's orchestra of Guitars... (has) all the depth of Fur Elise</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So basically it has no depth? Fuer Elise is a charming bagatelle, but it's not exactly "deep." It's catchy. But it's pretty standard fare in pretty standard ABACA form.<P>And Mahler's third is megalomaniacal? Meaning that it's full of delusional fantasies of wealth, power, and omnipotence? I don't really see that either.<P>I can't tell if your posts are being intentionally comedic/outrageous/dadaist or not. Sometimes it's difficult to tell.
Mr Mustard
4th Chair

Postby tancred » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:12 am

Are you the manager of Iced Earth or Planet X? Sorry, but after the 406th posting mentioning these bands, I wonder if you are getting some kind of kick-back?<BR>I don't want to belabor the point but this is a CLASSICAL lover's forum. I am not saying that you do not love classical music -however,I can assure you that I (and perhaps some of the other posters)do not love rock. Truly, I am more fond of the things I find in my cat's litter box.<BR>I will never listen to Planet X,Y or Z or Iced Earth. Then again, I will never run my arm over a table saw which, I suspect, would afford the same sensation.<BR>Dude, this is not a rock forum. DO NOT try to make it otherwise. :mad: <BR>Tanc<BR>P.S. Can we get some Elvis? I find the orchestration and tone of "My Way" to be reminiscent of Mozarts Serenade for Wind Instruments. What? You don't see it? Why I oughtta... :eek:<BR>P.S.S. Sorry Nicolle Marie - I should not be ranting on this board so I withdraw.<p>[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: tancred ]
"What, the flames already?"<BR>The last words of Voltaire, a life-long atheist.
tancred
4th Chair

Postby jakjak2424 » Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:26 am

Again i do not believe in wasting my energies arguing with people's opinions. Everyone here has a strong opinion which they are entitled to. Nobody is putting down other forms of music in any way. In fact, i have listed to all forms of music until i hit upon classical music to which i am addicted to now. I have listed to rock, heavy metal, symphonic led zep, reggae, pop, jazz, rap, etc. But once i got over my "teen phase" i started listening to classical music. I was inspired by great films like "the mission" with robert deniro to begin listening to classical music. At first, it was like drinking a glass of wine if you never had one. It tasted weird but then once i got used to it i found it to be delicious! I became addicted to classical music. (and please nobody start to think about the typical reaction of me being addicted to alcohol or wine because of using this example! i am not). I couldn't get enought of classical music. It helps me get into character as an actor while i'm imagining a scene, it helps me fall asleep like a baby, it helps me digest my food better, it relaxes me and soothes me. I have had phenominal experiences from classical music where i have literally felt ecstacy. Although, i do not know about heaven, i feel that classical music brings little pieces of heaven on to earth. I speak from my own experience and i am in no way disrespecting other forms of music. I simply will continue to do what works for me.<BR>Thank you all for all of your wonderful ideas and opinions.
jakjak2424
Section Player

Postby Brodie » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:21 pm

Spit flying everywhere but not a drop to drink.<P>Firstly let me start off by talking about the synonyms I used for "The Orchestra of Guitars" Fur Elise, to me is one of the most heavily emotional songs ever made, and beautiful as well, thus I thought that by refering to depth I was thinking more along the lines of the inner beauty and emotions that it brings out when being played, not how much depth and skill went into it. And Mahler's third i believe is also known as "A symphony for a thousand" and related it that way. But which ever one is the symphony for a thousand is the one I meant to use, I'm not the biggest Mahler fan in the world but he does have some pretty megalomatic bits, as well as subtle ones. Thus for my definition i thought those two would best describe this "symphony" of guitars quite fine, since it has so much beauty, its like Bliss and heavan for guitars, but with all the huge taste and ruboustness of a great symphony. I'll argue all day, that, that symphony in a gorgeous piece of work.<P>But thats not my main issue. I secondly wish to address, you, Tanc. I don't think I'm in any way insulting Classical. I merely pointing out that rock, can compete with the best of classical and be just as good, if you give it a chance. I love classical music. I love violins, cello's, pianos, harpsicords, violas, and all those instrument operating all at the same time, in the same pattern, with all its beauty. Why, no wait, better yet, How in God's name could some one insult some one for their beauty? You can never insult it. It can be ignorant, un aware, or self indulgent of it, but you can never insult it.<P>Yes I know this isn't a rock forum but it is for, the above reason that I will not, cannot, and shall not let any one try to insult something I believe is beautiful. You may not, and thats your opinion, I cannot make you feel differently. I won't try to make you.<P>Now that all the important stuff is done, its time for what I've learned over the course of my 7 years of writing. Language is very important. I used the same three single bands because of a simple fact. Things in trinities seem important. Just think about it. And I repeated it, for lack of a better word, once again, for repetition. If you hear, see, taste, feel, anything of that nature, more than a few times, you tend to remember it. Thus I repeated the same 3 things after every example. If I didn't do that, you would have gone on more of a tangit than whats been done already.<P>And lastly I guess I have to agree with ol' James over here. WHat is the point of arguing? Fun, in many aspects, but thats a different story. To prove a point, hasn't worked here yet. Plane ol' ignorance, I guess, I'll do fine for that example. But what is the point? I'll tell you. Because we both believe something different and we will not change out beliefs on someone we don't even know to have any credibility's words. And thus is life.....<P>Nothing has caused more problems in the world than language.<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby tancred » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:41 pm

Well then, lets agree to disagree and stop all this fussin' and a-feudin'. :) <BR>tanc
tancred
4th Chair

Postby lliam » Sat Aug 17, 2002 8:26 am

Folk/Rock/Popular Music and Instruments<BR>==========================================<BR>Banjo Jokes<BR>What's the difference between a banjo and a chain saw? <BR>The chain saw has greater dynamic range. <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>What's the least-used sentence in the English language? <BR>"Isn't that the banjo player's Porsche?" <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>What do you say to a banjo player in a three-piece suit? <BR>"Will the defendant please rise?" <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>There's nothing I like better than the sound of a banjo, unless of course it's the sound of a chicken caught in a vacuum cleaner. <P><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>Female five string banjoist shouting at her boyfriend in a crowded shopping mall: "Don't forget, sweetheart, I need a new G string." <P><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>Guitar Jokes<BR>What does it mean when a guitar player is drooling out both sides of his mouth? <BR>The stage is level. <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb? <BR>Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better. <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>How do you get a guitar player to play softer? <BR>Give him some sheet music. <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>What do a vacuum cleaner and an electric guitar have in common. <BR>Both suck when you plug them in. <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>How do you make a bass player turn down the volume? <BR>Put a chart in front of him. <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>How many lead guitarists does it take to change a light bulb? <BR>None--they just steal somebody else's light. <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>What do you call two guitarists playing in unison? <BR>Counterpoint. <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>What did the guitarist do when his teacher told him to turn his amplifier on? <BR>He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it. <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>What's the best thing to play on a guitar? <BR>Solitaire. <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>How many bass players does it take to change a lightbulb? <BR>None. They let the keyboard player do it with his left hand. <BR>Don't bother. Just leave it out--no one will notice. <BR>One, but the guitarist has to show him first. <BR>Six: one to change it, and the other five to fight off the lead guitarists who are hogging the light. <P>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>In the 22th century, how many guitar players will you need to replace a light source? <BR>Five. One to actually do it, and four to reminisce about how much better the old tubes were. <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>Did you hear about the electric bass player who was so bad that even the lead singer noticed? <P> :) :D
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby audiogirl » Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James Mozart:<BR><STRONG>Does anyone feel that classical music makes you smarter?<BR>Does anyone feel that classical music helps to heal yourself both emotionally and physically?<P>I believe so, whole heartedly. :)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Does it change your genetic make-up? No. Can it improve your attention, memory, and overall auditory skills? I wouldn't be surprised.<P>I would also believe that learning to play an instrument would benefit us academically.<p>[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: audiogirl ]
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby Mr Mustard » Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:48 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Now that all the important stuff is done, its time for what I've learned over the course of my 7 years of writing. Language is very important.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I would strongly encourage you to get a copy of <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/020530902X/qid=1029852820/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-0843348-6954314?s=books&n=507846" TARGET=_blank>The Elements of Style</A> by Strunk and White. It has everything a writer needs to know, including the difference between <I>its</I> and <I>it's</I>. (The former is possessive. The latter is a contraction for "it is.")<P>Grammar mistakes and bad spelling are as rough on the ear as a flat note. If you really want to be a writer, you should focus on learning the fundamentals first.<P>mustard<P>P.S. No offense intended.<P>P.P.S. The "symphony of a thousand" is the eighth, not the third.
Mr Mustard
4th Chair

Postby jnowacki » Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:53 am

What?<P>THIS question AGAIN?<P>It should be quite obvious that listening to classical music will, indeed, make you smarter. Proof? Just have a look at the audience at a classical music event. Now have a look at the audience at a rave, or at a hip-hop event. Notice a difference? The main question to ask is...who's making more money? If you're at all honest, you'll have to agree that the classical music audience is more affluent, and that is due, simply, to their overwhelmingly higher levels of education!<P>You want smarter? Listen to more Mozart! <P> :roll:
john

"When all reasonable force fails, use a bigger hammer!"
jnowacki
4th Chair

Postby tancred » Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:07 am

I bet that Classical is not often played on the radios of those fine folks in prison. :D<BR>A lifetime ago, while I was enrolled in the local Police Academy, my favorite instructor told me that he loved classical simply because it was the one type of music he had never encountered in his "work". Think about it...<p>[ 08-20-2002: Message edited by: tancred ]
tancred
4th Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jnowacki:<BR><STRONG>What?<P>THIS question AGAIN?<P>It should be quite obvious that listening to classical music will, indeed, make you smarter. Proof? Just have a look at the audience at a classical music event. Now have a look at the audience at a rave, or at a hip-hop event. Notice a difference? The main question to ask is...who's making more money? If you're at all honest, you'll have to agree that the classical music audience is more affluent, and that is due, simply, to their overwhelmingly higher levels of education!<P>You want smarter? Listen to more Mozart! <P> :roll:</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>john, i think this is clearly an example of the post hoc fallacy. just because they all listen to classical and are generally more educated, doesn't make classical the cause of their intelligence. i think a more likely explanation is that people who are more educated are just predisposed to like classical.
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BenMurphy6:<BR><STRONG><P> i think a more likely explanation is that people who are more educated are just predisposed to like classical.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'd be careful making big blanket statements like that one...
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:39 pm

no offense, and not to be nitpicky, but john's was more of a big blanket statement than mine. not only is his assessment of the audience based on stereotypes, it's based on affluence. affluence is no indication of intelligence. you don't have to be intelligent to be rich, i know of many personal examples. the fact that the audience at a classical performance will indeed be more affluent is based more on average age. <P>i'd love to see hard scientific data linking the listening of classical music to an increase in intelligence. but i don't expect that it will ever be proven. people who listen to classical are not smarter; better informed, maybe, but not smarter.
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby Bones » Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:41 pm

I think Ben's point was: It's not wise to conclude that the intelligence or condition of the audience at an event is directly caused by the subject of that event. <P>By John's logic, if I go to a glitzy casino in Monaco and see all the rich jet setters, I might conclude that gambling makes you rich, and of course, since it makes you rich, it must make you smarter. <P>Then the question arises: which makes you smarter, gambling or classical music?
"I try to think, but nothing happens!" - Curly Howard
Bones
3rd Chair

Postby tancred » Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:15 pm

I'll bet Classical does. C'mon - I'll give you 30 to 1 odds!<BR>Seriously, BenMurphy has stated something to the effect Classical listeners are more affluent because they are older. Well, the old time rockers ( The Stones, beatles et al) are approaching 60. This would indicate that at least many of their fans are in that age bracket. Are they younger than the average Classical fan?<BR> :p <BR>Tanc<p>[ 08-20-2002: Message edited by: tancred ]
tancred
4th Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:25 pm

bones: thank you. i unfortunately am not the most articulate poster on this board (i can see you all right now, rolling your eyes and thinking "yea, i know" ;) ), so i feel like often my point gets lost in the clutter of my stream of consciousness :eek:
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby jnowacki » Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bones:<BR><STRONG> <P>Then the question arises: which makes you smarter, gambling or classical music?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Why, the answer is SO obvious! Listen to classical while you gamble & you'll be "enriched"! ;)
john

"When all reasonable force fails, use a bigger hammer!"
jnowacki
4th Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie