Agh! That stinks!

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Agh! That stinks!

Postby Blackberry » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:35 pm

I saw in another thread (the thread which must not be named) that Nicole didn't like "Time to Say Goodbye." I was shocked, but I got over it.<P>I'm wondering what she thinks of the piece playing as I write this message, Yo Yo Ma and Alison Krauss performing "Simple Gifts." I love the song myself, and I like the performance; but I wondered what a trained ear thinks of it.<P>And after that, what other music do you dislike? the 1812 maybe? :D
"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men." - Aragorn
Blackberry
4th Chair

Re: Agh! That stinks!

Postby audiogirl » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:58 pm

Mr. Ma is almost always flawless. I like the Shaker tune, but Allison Kraus sounds like a mouse sucking helium.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby Blackberry » Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:10 pm

Ha, ha, ha. That's hilarious.<P>Thank you, audiogirl, for that informative opinion. Remember, folks, you read it hear first! First, fast, and accurate music reviews. Don't settle for second best.
"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men." - Aragorn
Blackberry
4th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:12 pm

Simple Gifts with Ma and Krauss performing works for me. Ma never hits a wrong note and the history of the piece I hold very highly (coming from the Shakers not Copland as to many people think).<P>As for classical music Stravinsky can never go wrong in my book. Vivaldi and Correlli are amazing. I've always enjoyed composers who push the envelope. Composers that broke rules on composition are a favorite.<P>Outside of classical music I am a huge punk and ska fan. I'm also into a new artist (new to me) named Rahat Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan from Pakistan who sings in the traditional style of Sufi which dates back to songs sung by the Prophets who followed Mohammad. And as a Buddhist I always love the music from Tibet. Music to me must mean something, I enjoy it better when it stands for something and not just for entertainment reasons.<p>[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: Nicole Marie ]
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:34 pm

Well, I both agree and disagree with Nicole Marie. Yo-Yo Ma is flawless, but Alison Krauss doesn't do much for me. Maybe it's because the first several times I heard the piece, it was sung by baritones.<P>Beethoven radio has at least two other versions of the <I>Simple Gifts.</I> One is by the baritone Thomas Hampson, and it makes the hair stand up on my neck, even when heard over these PC speakers. The other one is by a chorus, which is also quite nice.<P>Copland, like many composers, collected music from many sources, often local folk songs, to include in their music. <I>Simple Gifts</I> is just one of several pieces he, at the very least, exposed to the public. Although I know I could never live the "simple" life described in the song, it's such a beautiful sentiment to "come 'round right" that I just have to love it.<p>[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: barfle ]
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Brodie » Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:27 pm

What kind of punk and ska Nicole? New or old? I'm a pretty big fan of punk as well. People are kind of freaked out that I can actually play like Beethoven's Fur Elise with one hand and like the Sex Pistols' Anarchy in the U.K. with the other on piano that is. On guitar Fur Elise is hard enough by itself, though Anarchy in the U.K. isn't I just don't think I could do them both at the same time, maybe I should try that....hmmm 'tis a thought 'tis a thought.<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:09 am

Hi Brodie-<P>I dig early punk like the Circle Jerks, Gen X etc. And you?
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Blackberry » Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:05 pm

Thanks for the ultra brief bio, Nicole. It's interesting to know something of a person's perspective, especially regarding philosophy or theology.<P>I love Vivaldi myself, but I'm too ignorant to know how he breaks the rules. Could you give an example?<p>[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: Blackberry ]
Blackberry
4th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:00 pm

Vivaldi was not a huge rebel but he did write music for an all girls school. This school was for orphans or illegitimate children of the up and up crowd.<P>He wrote music for the girls school and wrote compositions that showed the strength of each girls talent. So to me it's interesting to listen to a solo in his music and try to imagine the girl he was writing for and how he wanted her to project that solo.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Return to Nicole Marie