Ashokan Farewell

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Ashokan Farewell

Postby Blackberry » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:37 pm

I love the folk melody from "Ashokan Farewell" from the Civil War Soundtrack which is playing as I write. Is that the name of the song or is it borrowed from a folk song from that time?
"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men." - Aragorn
Blackberry
4th Chair

Re: Ashokan Farewell

Postby tancred » Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:01 pm

I think it is the name of the song. If memory serves, it was written in the late 1970's - but I could easily be wrong.<BR>I love that too!<BR>Tanc :D
"What, the flames already?"<BR>The last words of Voltaire, a life-long atheist.
tancred
4th Chair

Postby EricMichaels » Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:29 am

From the liner notes of <I>Harvest Home: Music For All Seasons</I>, Jay Ungar and Molly Mason, EMI/Angel 56720:<BR>Jay wrote Ashokan Farewell in 1982 and first recorded it in 1984 with the band Fiddle Fever (Flying Fish). Soon after, filmmaker Ken Burns heard the tune and asked to use it as the theme of his PBS series <I>The Civil War</I>. Over the Past fifteen years we've continued to provide traditional and original music for many of Ken's wonderful films about American history.
EricMichaels
4th Chair

Postby jnowacki » Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:26 am

Burns' "Civil War" is running through Thursday night on local PBS stations! Check times on yours to see this ground-breaking documentary. You won't forget it!<P>-john-<p>[ 09-24-2002: Message edited by: jnowacki ]
john

"When all reasonable force fails, use a bigger hammer!"
jnowacki
4th Chair

Postby annettehala » Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:22 pm

I have that documentary on video and I've watched it 3 times. I think it's 11 hours long. :D
annettehala
4th Chair

Return to Nicole Marie