I know you are out there!!!

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: I know you are out there!!!

Postby Ghostman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:30 am

barfle wrote:Tough luck about the baseball. Life changing events can be unpleasant, but they have ways of working out.

Most of us have fairly eclectic tastes here. We have lots of music we like, some we adore, and some we abhor. Lots of people have strong feelings about Ravel's Bordello. I like it, but it's not something I request.

I really like Holst's The Planets, Respighi's Pines of Rome, a lot of Tchaikovsky, a lot of Grofe (but he was a bit spotty), and a lot of the greats that go without saying.

When it comes to ballet suites, I enjoy the music, but attending a performance - that's a perfect evening!

The most unpleasant part of the event was just after it happened. My mouth had the tingled numbness, and I was worried It was full of broken teeth. Realizing that the upper lip was attached/stuck to the still-in-place front teeth relieved me.
It wasn't until later that week I was faced with the issue of trumpeting (so to say). Admittedly that was just as cold and numbing as the blow to the mouth itself. I slipped from first SEAT to second trumpet, to third trumpet... to out the door with a changed major. ... Hmmm, I almost forgot... It was hard for everyone, who cared about me to watch me decline, especially on our music professor. He tried his best to keep me.... Maybe there is a little remorse.
Ghostman
5th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:44 am

Ghostman wrote:... I slipped from first SEAT to second trumpet, to third trumpet... to out the door with a changed major...

Ouch. I had no idea a fastball could destroy an embouchure. The very thought gives me the willies - my boy played both trumpet and baseball and I'm now enjoying a moment of retrospective relief!

I am happy that the changed major turned out so well, though. Welcome to the board, we're glad to have you.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Ghostman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:48 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
Ghostman wrote:... I slipped from first SEAT to second trumpet, to third trumpet... to out the door with a changed major...

Ouch. I had no idea a fastball could destroy an embouchure. The very thought gives me the willies - my boy played both trumpet and baseball and I'm now enjoying a moment of retrospective relief!

I am happy that the changed major turned out so well, though. Welcome to the board, we're glad to have you.

I was the one pitching the fastball, and was left vulnerable after the ball left my hand. I heard the bat, and felt the pain almost simultaneously. (hence why aluminum bats should be illegal in college sports. I could have lost much more than my ability to play a trumpet well.)It really wasn’t the ball, but my own teeth that caused most of the destruction.

Also, it’s not that my “embouchure” (Heh, it’s been awhile since I used musical terms) was destroyed. I mean I could still position my lips in a correct position to play, but the lack of muscle, gave me a horrible musical tone, and an inability to play higher notes. Nothing above the normal cleft. that’s why I keep dropping to lower tone seats. In the end, there was no place to hide, my instrument sounded horrible, and I just didn’t have enough time to recuperate. I need years, and I only had months.

Thank you for your kind thoughts, and the warm welcome.
Ghostman
5th Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:18 am

Welcome to the BBB, Paris! :mrgreen:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:45 am

Ghostman wrote:I am a relative forum rookie. I love classical music, but don't really know how to hold a conversation about it. I know names of composers, and their music. I have music experience, but a batted fastball to the mouth ended my trumpet career about 15 years ago. Years of lip muscle ripped away in an instant. :cry:

I'll read everything, but post only if I have something interesting to say. No reason to junk the place up with blabber.

Thanks for in invite
~Kevin

I missed this post...
So sorry to hear about that....
I have always been protective of my mouth anytime when I played sports as a youngin...

Do you have an interest in conducting?

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby navneeth » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:56 am

We have a celebrity amongst us! (No, I'm not referring to OT. :P)

I'm talking about our newest member.(at the time of this post.) Say hi to Paris Hilton. :crazy:
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:58 am

navneeth wrote:We have a celebrity amongst us! (No, I'm not referring to OT. :P)

I'm talking about our newest member.(at the time of this post.) Say hi to Paris Hilton. :crazy:

Yes, I welcomed her to the BBB the other day. :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:10 am

Catmando wrote:Yes, I welcomed her to the BBB the other day. :D

Oh! Guess I missed that. :)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Previous