Nicole Marie, Queen of the Internet Ether

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Nicole Marie, Queen of the Internet Ether

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:00 am

Nicole:

I listened to your report on the Vivladi movies. (I'm glad Vivaldi is getting some recognition, BTW).

Didn't Beethoven.com's little historical snippet alude to Vivaldi's improper relationship with the girls at the school? I don't recall the exact wording, but it seems like it made some reference to it.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Nicole,

I've missed your show this week. Have you transitioned onto other royal duties? Have you joined one of the presidential candidate campaigns? Your voice is ingrained in my memories. Where art thou, My Queen? :?:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby ai4i » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:06 pm

I wonder if the Principal Double Bassist listed here gets bombarded with comments at each rehearsal session about this thing or that thing [that was] heard on Beethoven Radio.
Last edited by ai4i on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:55 pm

I can't see Nicole in that picture....curse my failing eyes! Nicole, you need a YouTube video!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:35 am

That picture was taken the first year the orchestra started. The bass section in that picture no longer is around. Those guys have left and now it's Burt, Bruce and myself! Great guys to play with.

Yes I do get asked questions during practice and at concerts. It's really annoying honestly. I'm there to enjoy myself and enjoy being on stage. If you have a suggestion or complaint call me during work hours. Of course I am nice, smile and thank everyone for their input but the rest of my section knows I hate it and always get a good laugh when people approach me. My time is my time... But the worst is when I'm out shopping or at dinner with my better half and people approach. Last I checked I was trying to flirt with my very attractive boyfriend and not the listener who wants to give their input on the station... Of course I'm nice but I'd really like my private time.

Don't get me worng I love to hear from people but I'm sure doctors hate it when they are out on their time and get asked medical advice out side the office. Pregnant women hate it when people want to touch their bellies, lawyers hate it when they get asked legal questions and IT people hate it when their friends aks them to fix their computers. There is a time and a place and when I'm on stage... It's really not the place. (OK I vented - I feel better now.) :crazy:
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:19 am

Nicole Marie wrote:Don't get me worng I love to hear from people but I'm sure doctors hate it when they are out on their time and get asked medical advice out side the office. Pregnant women hate it when people want to touch their bellies, lawyers hate it when they get asked legal questions and IT people hate it when their friends aks them to fix their computers. There is a time and a place and when I'm on stage... It's really not the place. (OK I vented - I feel better now.) :crazy:

OH SO TRUE>....
I work in IT as a Telecom SME (day job) Friends/family all think I know how to make their desktop
computers work faster, fix problems... blah blah blah blah.... :crazy:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby DavidS » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:34 pm

OH SO TRUE>....
I work in IT as a Telecom SME (day job) Friends/family all think I know how to make their desktop computers work faster, fix problems... blah blah blah blah....

Oh yea.
I have a degree in electronics & worked in telecoms, so everbody thinks I can tell them over the phone how to operate their TV, VCR, DVD, mobile phone, PC, dish washer, tumble dryer, car radio etc. etc.
My standard reply is "RTBM".
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby WeirdOne » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:33 am

I believe the "standard" reply is "RTFM". But I get your point.

And NM's point as well. Since she is not a paparrazi-person, with all the fame and fortune that that entails, then she is, indeed, entitled to her privacy. And, of course, since she IS the Queen of the Internet Ether, she is only allowed to be fawned over ON the Internet Ether. Once the world sickens of Pop/Drama queens, and NM's regality (is that a word?) is recognized, then things may change.

Yeah. The world will get sick of the Pop/Drama Queens, the dollar will have real value, and we will get our constitutional freedoms restored. I am, still, hopelessly naive, and eternally optimistic.

But NM is still the Queen.
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson
WeirdOne
5th Chair

Postby WeirdOne » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:46 am

Selma, as usual, has nailed the truth of the ever-sickening Lucas saga known as "Star Wars" on the head.
As long as it's not that annoying animated Binks dude. Judging from the size of the senate chamber, there have to be a lot of planets to choose from. We could have podracing, and Jedi Olympics, and a look into the private life of Queen Amidala's hairdresser (who has got to be a nut case)

With so much material (in his own fictional universe, no less) to choose from, why, oh why, did Jar Jar Binks even become a major character? If he'd been a walk-on, fine, but his presence was painful, even for the most ardent Star Wars fans. And I am a Star Trek fan (no, not a Trekkie, or even a Trekker).

I have a friend who is a Star Wars fan, and his take on the whole thing is that Lucas has gone insane. But then, haven't we all? And that should help explain the hair"style" of Amidala.
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson
WeirdOne
5th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:00 pm

WeirdOne wrote:

I believe the "standard" reply is "RTFM". But I get your point.

And NM's point as well. Since she is not a paparrazi-person, with all the fame and fortune that that entails, then she is, indeed, entitled to her privacy. And, of course, since she IS the Queen of the Internet Ether, she is only allowed to be fawned over ON the Internet Ether. Once the world sickens of Pop/Drama queens, and NM's regality (is that a word?) is recognized, then things may change.

Yeah. The world will get sick of the Pop/Drama Queens, the dollar will have real value, and we will get our constitutional freedoms restored. I am, still, hopelessly naive, and eternally optimistic.

But NM is still the Queen.

Thanks! If I was a movie star... I could understand. But until my paycheck reflects having to deal with "fans" while I am at a private dinner with my boyfriend, or shopping at Home Depot or walking down the sidewalk with my dogs (all of those have happend...) then I don't want to hear it! :crazy:
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:03 pm

You don't like having Papa Rotzi following you around with a camera? That's why you should never marry an Italian.... :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:58 am

Nicole Marie wrote:Thanks! If I was a movie star... I could understand. But until my paycheck reflects having to deal with "fans" while I am at a private dinner with my boyfriend, or shopping at Home Depot or walking down the sidewalk with my dogs (all of those have happend...) then I don't want to hear it! :crazy:

This is why my husband insists that we don't live in the town where he teaches - he doesn't want to run into students every time he leaves the house. We still have to live relatively close, so we do run into students every now and then, but he's afraid it would be every day. He definately likes to have a separation of work and life. I wouldn't mind being in walking distance of work (especially with gas prices as they are), but we really don't want to send our kids to city schools, or pay for private.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:02 am

Schmeelkie wrote:
Nicole Marie wrote:Thanks! If I was a movie star... I could understand. But until my paycheck reflects having to deal with "fans" while I am at a private dinner with my boyfriend, or shopping at Home Depot or walking down the sidewalk with my dogs (all of those have happend...) then I don't want to hear it! :crazy:

This is why my husband insists that we don't live in the town where he teaches - he doesn't want to run into students every time he leaves the house. We still have to live relatively close, so we do run into students every now and then, but he's afraid it would be every day. He definately likes to have a separation of work and life. I wouldn't mind being in walking distance of work (especially with gas prices as they are), but we really don't want to send our kids to city schools, or pay for private.

Most teachers I know seem to like meeting up with previousl students. Many are very grateful for the lessons provided by the teachers and are happy to say so.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:42 am

I think he's mostly worried about a current student asking what's on the next text while he's grocery shopping or getting his haircut. Previous students are great to run into...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:I think he's mostly worried about a current student asking what's on the next text while he's grocery shopping or getting his haircut. Previous students are great to run into...

:wink: Gotcha. I had not thought of that. I could see where that could be a bother.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:37 pm

Its more than asking about the work. Teachers (below the college level anyway), also deal with 'lifestyle' evaluations when they are observed in public by their students/parents. Kinda makes it hard to hold hands, be overtly silly, dress too casually, etc. The teachers I know who live in their district try to grocery shop where the kids and parents wont be. They also try to hold their dates 'out of town'.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:57 pm

piqaboo wrote:Its more than asking about the work. Teachers (below the college level anyway), also deal with 'lifestyle' evaluations when they are observed in public by their students/parents. Kinda makes it hard to hold hands, be overtly silly, dress too casually, etc. The teachers I know who live in their district try to grocery shop where the kids and parents wont be. They also try to hold their dates 'out of town'.

Whereas, with college profs, it's cool to see them at the local bar... When I was in grad school, it was always great when some of the profs would join the grad students for a couple of drinks (usually after someone's comps or dissertation presentation). Our British professor would come out a lot with students - he was just continuing in the Brit med student tradition.... Don't know how they finish med school over there if they all drink as much as he did (tho his tolerance was quite high).
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:18 pm

I recall (barely) a time when I was dating an elementary school teacher who lived in an apartment near mine. I took her to Disneyland and a student from another class recognized her on the mine train ride. We didn't snuggle much, at least until we made it to the haunted mansion.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:44 pm

This is a poignant thread. My son teaches 7th grade math in Freeport, Maine. We met in Portland this weekend and had a great time. I wondered if he'd be interested in showing us his school. I was surprised he said he wasn't interested in being in Freeport at all --- because he didn't want to risk running into a student. Obviously, he isn't the only one who feels that way. I used to teach math in Springfield, Mass. I wonder how many of my students avoided Springfield because they didn't want to run into me. :) or maybe :(
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:34 pm

I remember teachers who have inspired me fondly. I hope they have felt satisfaction from having an impact on their students......I hope they didn't think I was their "number one fan" :shock:
Serenity
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Nicole Marie