No classical radio in SD

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

No classical radio in SD

Postby classilady » Sat Jan 27, 2001 11:21 pm

Sad but true the station we had was really good for several years then it couldn't get funded enough and now is a jazz station. We even lost our symphony for a while. Now that is back but so expensive a lot of people that love the music can't afford to go. This area is very expensive to live in anyway!
classilady
Section Player

Re: No classical radio in SD

Postby shostakovich » Sun Jan 28, 2001 12:45 am

Sorry to read it, Classilady, but it's market economy thinking in the US that has a strangle hold on so much of what's presented in the arts. One of the Hartford stations used to save some time for the classics, including one of the best 1-hour programs, called The Listening Room. But the station long ago dumped all its classical broadcasting to pursue $$$$. I suspect every state has some cities with the same story. I can't imagine San Diego without at least Public Radio. Glad you found beethoven.com.<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby dkm32 » Mon Feb 05, 2001 4:11 pm

Classilady is pretty much correct. Depending on what part of San Diego a person lives, Classical Music on the radio is alive or dead. And, 'what part' can be a matter of 'just over the hill'. I live in Northern San Diego County. The 'new' KFSD (long story on the 'new') can be heard very well in some locations, then you drive around the hill and oops! gone. Even in the city (Escondido) from which it is supposedly broadcast, one city block can make the difference.<P>And, I don't think we what to talk about XLNC1's repetitious top 400 Classical Music Hits!<P>BTW: XBACH, the station that is now Jazz, still broadcast the Metropolitan Opera.<P>Donna<p>[This message has been edited by dkm32 (edited 02-05-2001).]
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby classilady » Mon Feb 19, 2001 6:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dkm32:<BR><B>Classilady is pretty much correct. Depending on what part of San Diego a person lives, Classical Music on the radio is alive or dead. And, 'what part' can be a matter of 'just over the hill'. I live in Northern San Diego County. The 'new' KFSD (long story on the 'new') can be heard very well in some locations, then you drive around the hill and oops! gone. Even in the city (Escondido) from which it is supposedly broadcast, one city block can make the difference.<P>And, I don't think we what to talk about XLNC1's repetitious top 400 Classical Music Hits!<P>BTW: XBACH, the station that is now Jazz, still broadcast the Metropolitan Opera.<P>Donna<P>[This message has been edited by dkm32 (edited 02-05-2001).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
classilady
Section Player

Postby classilady » Mon Feb 19, 2001 6:32 pm

Yes, I live down close to the airport in S.D and so you have to have *** cable set up to get classical music. Luckily I have collected about 550 classical cds that I love so I play them. I have some friends here that have even larger collections. When we have new cds we get together and have a listening session for half a day, that way we know what we next want to obtain. It is a happy time and satisfies our need for classical music.
classilady
Section Player

Return to Radio-Active