WTMI-FM Miami to Die

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Re: WTMI-FM Miami to Die

Postby Alex Fardreamer » Sun Jan 13, 2002 11:43 pm

I started listening to WTMI in 1981 when I was in high school, so I enjoyed 93.1 for 20 years, more or less. I really never changed my dial much except maybe to listen to NPR Theater's presentations of the Star Wars radio series and an occasional detour for some soft rock or oldies, and I even e-mailed several requests (which aired). I sometimes bought new CDs based on music I had heard on 93.1, most notably Cinema Serenade 2; I heard one of my favorite movie themes one night and <I>I just had to have that CD</I> ;) I think the loss of classical music formats in the United States is a symptom of both a dumbing-down of our culture and the corporate need to make huge profits. Granted, we all like making money to get those things we both want and need, and every business has that right to want to make a profit. But Cox wants to make HUGE profits at the expense of listeners who have come to know and love classical music and, by extension, the sole radio station that had a classical format. Someone should tell Mike Disney at 93.1 that life isn't just about making big profits quickly, and that the way his new techno station premiered...with that sarcastic intro and that profane song was definitely not classy.
Alex Diaz-Granados
Alex Fardreamer
5th Chair

Previous

Return to Radio-Active