Music at home and work

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Music at home and work

Postby Paul Nieland » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:01 pm

Its a strange world. Many people have this problem as I do (I think :D
Paul.
Paul Nieland
5th Chair

Re: Music at home and work

Postby BenODen » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:15 pm

There ya go! But then again, it'd have to be a big beefy one, since many of them only hold a couple hours of music.

I am lucky that I'm infront of a computer all day and there are few enough of us here and so I get to stream beethoven.com all day at work! YAY! I almost hate to go to lunch because I might miss something cool on b.com! Maybe I too need to do this recording thing!

-Benito
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby Marye » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:27 pm

I too sit in front of a computer all day long at work... in all the years I have worked I have always played CD's and have listened to CBC radio ... All 400 employees are used to hearing music come from my office and often stop to listen ... now, instead of my saying, here is the CD I am listening to and telling them where to buy it, I say... have you heard of Beethoven.com? :D
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Paul Nieland » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:52 pm

I envy you there behind your computers all day and listen to your own good music.

How will you react when you hear day in day out rap music, or all those (so called) modern music artist who (in my opinion) can't compose music.

Would a classical music lover go crazy?

If so... Then I should be beyond hope :p
Paul.
Paul Nieland
5th Chair

Postby Marye » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:05 pm

Would a classical music lover go crazy?
Close....

I was in a restaurant last week, the bass of the music playing was thumping and I could not make out a single note. My lunch guests as well as myself were unconsciously nodding our heads to the beat. Not with any sort of delight in the music, but rather that it was hypnotic and was a source of irritation... yet there we were talking and nodding, talking and nodding... this is crazy.... :D or demented :eek:
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:06 pm

I won't say that sitting in front of a computer all day is exciting, but I do like having b.c on while I work. I have a radio in my office, but deep in the bowels of the high rise I'm in, the reception is poor, to put it mildly.

I have an office mate, who, thankfully, is here about 10% of the time I'm here. Although he doesn't play rap, he does play a lot of stuff I don't consider to be to my taste, and it's often distracting.

And I have a beethoven.com window sticker taped to my computer, so people can learn about good music, even if I'm not in my office.

At home, I have to put up with dial-up Internet connection (DSL doesn't reach that far), and we only have one phone line for the house. Besides, I don't have that much time to listen to music at home, but when I do it's usually records or CDs, or the music feed from my mini-dish.

<small>[ 06-24-2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: barfle ]</small>
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:20 pm

You can find an MP3 player smaller than a cell phone and with up to 512MB capacity. You'll have to download or convert your music to MP3 or WMA formats, the gadget should come with software (I know there is a third format..I can't think of it now). You can clip it on your belt or hang it from your neck and work with headphones. Unless your coworkers are blasting their (c)rap music.

On a related note...Does anyone know of a good MP3 site where you can preview more than 60 seconds of music?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:59 pm

Try MP3.com, Serenity. They have a lot of music available for downloading. They use it as a temptation to buy their CDs, and a lot of their artists are not all that well known. They have one or two establishes symphonies, but no top 10s that I recall. Navigation can be a pain, and many pages are verrrrry ssssslllllooooowwwww to load, but they usually D/L the music as fast as YOUR connection.

Another source for MP3s is your own CD collection. There are many free software programs that will convert the songs on a CD to MP3 format. I'm most familiar with Real Player. It works well, it's free, and it has an adjustment so you can determine your own file size/bit rate/performance tradeoff.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Paul Nieland » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:01 pm

Ik saw on the Apple website a MP3 player iPod, with 10, 15 or 20 Gig capacity, and its incredible small...

So I think, if I (or my boss :(

I did not tell you, maybe I am beyond hope as I said before.
There was an incident (or 2 or 3...) with my former boss, the music in the factory was mostly very loud, and once I went berzerk and wrecked some speakers, after that i only went to the radio and turned the volume down, then he installed the radio in a secure closet.
But, after a time when it was to loud again I managed to open the closet, leaving me a scar on the arm, and later a good talk with everyone in the factory.

Now I work somewere else, the music on the radio is still not my taste, but its not so loud.
Paul.
Paul Nieland
5th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:07 pm

Paul, welcome to the board. Gotta keep that temper in check, eh?
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Serenity » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:48 pm

The iPod looks very good. That's a lot of disk space. It should get you through the day (week). I've felt like smashing the radio at work too. Who came up with the phrase "Music soothes the savage beast"?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:50 pm

hey Paul. I can sympathize. I am not applying for jobs in places where they have loud ehhhmmm.... music playing, I wouldn't be able to stand it. there's a ice cream place nearby that's hiring but they have loud annoying music..
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:58 pm

Barfle-
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to try my free 2 week trial period after the 4th of July vacation. These sights just want to get your information before they deliver any goods and then they're dissapointing because they don't have what I'm looking for. I just want to access and review music and performances I have not heard yet before deciding to add them to my collection. Once you buy a CD at the store, there's no returning it unless it's defective. Some of these Napster-like sites load their shareware on your hard drive and then anyone can rifle through your PC.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:04 am

Serenity, I've never given Real Player a dime and I've had their player on my PC for over a year. They want to be the default audio player on my computer, which doesn't really bother me. I have other players (spinner and WMP) that usually work just fine, too, but when I put a music CD in, real player defaults to play it and asks if I want to rip it to my hard drive.

The only irritating thing it does is show a popup for something they want to sell when I close the program.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:08 am

Hi, Paul, and welcome to the pit.

My mother worked in a factory where the people had their own radios and would blast that nasty old rock and roll music. Eventually, she and dad picked up a radio and wired the entire place with speakers. Since she had the radio on her desk, that put her in charge of the music. At the time, she always put "easy listening" music on, but the night shift had other ideas. Of course, she was gone by then, so it didn't bother her, except she had to find the right station when she got in.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Paul Nieland » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:16 am

Originally posted by bignaf:
hey Paul. I can sympathize. I am not applying for jobs in places where they have loud ehhhmmm.... music playing, I wouldn't be able to stand it. there's a ice cream place nearby that's hiring but they have loud annoying music..
Yeah, I know, but I took this job to get away from the very loud music, and it payed a lot more :)
And I can wear earplugs all day :(
But I didn't remember the rest :D
Paul.
Paul Nieland
5th Chair

Postby Paul Nieland » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:26 am

Originally posted by barfle:
Hi, Paul, and welcome to the pit.
Hello and thanks.

My mother worked in a factory where the people had their own radios and would blast that nasty old rock and roll music. Eventually, she and dad picked up a radio and wired the entire place with speakers.
Thats the way they always do it in all factory's, but most of the time the main man (the big boss) or department head has the control over the radio. But I'm glad that he also does'nt like loud music.
Paul.
Paul Nieland
5th Chair

Postby dkm32 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:30 am

I generally do my grocery shopping at one of two stores. One is closeby (OK., for us country folk, 15 miles is close). The other is on the other side of town (add about 7 miles).

The close one plays noise (I just can't come to call that stuff music :) :) I do my "takes a bit of time" shopping there. I make sure the manager knows that is the reason I'm shopping there and the extra distance I travel to get there. They get a lot of compliments on the music.
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby Paul Nieland » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:31 am

Originally posted by operatenor:
Paul, welcome to the board. Gotta keep that temper in check, eh?
Thanks, and sure! The more I listen to this radio station, the more I get control over myself :cool:
Paul.
Paul Nieland
5th Chair

Postby Paul Nieland » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:45 am

Originally posted by dkm32:
The store on the other side of town plays Classical Music. :) :) I do my "takes a bit of time" shopping there. I make sure the manager knows that is the reason I'm shopping there and the extra distance I travel to get there. They get a lot of compliments on the music.
Really? Well, then it's time we introduce this to the stores in my country ! The only store I know who playes classical music is the classical CD store just 25 miles away.

But hey!!! Could this be the reason why I hate shopping? :D

<small>[ 06-25-2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Paul Nieland ]</small>
Paul.
Paul Nieland
5th Chair

Return to Radio-Active