MHS

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

MHS

Postby navneeth » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:16 pm

I was just checking out the Musical Heritage Society's website. The stuff there seem to be too good to be true. In a way, they appear to be what Dover Paperbacks is to books.

Is anyone here a member, or has been one before?
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:59 pm

I think a friend of mine has been a member. ins't there a monthly fee, and I think there is a limited number of CD's to pick from every month. still seems like a good deal.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:22 am

I was a member for several years. The issue I had with them was the very short time to tell them you didn't want this month's selection, which varied from some really good stuff to things I wouldn't play a second time.

It's a moderately reasonable way to build your collection, as well as your musical knowledge, if you have the time.

The recording quality was always excellent, the performances certainly seemed competent, but the compositions themselves could be a bit on the obscure side, often with good reason.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:11 am

I used to belong to the Columbia House Classical Music Club, which had the same problem. If I didn't return the card in time (which was not postage prepaid, if I recall correctly), then I received the selection of the month automatically. I could always return the selection of the month if I didn't want it, but it cost postage. Sometimes there seemed to be insufficient time between receiving the card and receiving the selection, particularly if I was out of town when the card arrived.

I finally did beat the system, though. They stopped carrying LP's, and kept sending me letters that I had to choose whether I wanted the selections sent in Cassette or CD format, to which I never responded. As a result, I received a card every month telling me what the selection of the month was, and reminding me that I had not specified what format I wanted it in. If I wanted it I could order it, if not I didn't have to do anything, they never sent me any unwanted music. I also did receive one free selection for every one I bought.

I finally left the club when I married and moved across the river. But I did get quite a large LP collection while I was in there.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:50 am

Shapley wrote:If I didn't return the card in time (which was not postage prepaid, if I recall correctly), then I received the selection of the month automatically. I could always return the selection of the month if I didn't want it, but it cost postage. Sometimes there seemed to be insufficient time between receiving the card and receiving the selection, particularly if I was out of town when the card arrived.

From the MHS site:
You’re under no obligation to buy more-ever! Unlike other clubs, there is no purchase obligation with your introductory offer! You get only the recordings you want, when you want them. If you ever receive an unwanted Recording of Distinction due to being on vacation, you can return it at our expense for full credit. You may cancel your membership anytime after your six-month trial period.

:)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:52 pm

I was a member of MHS for several years in the LP days. Initially they were heavy on Baroque, and later turned to re-issues of other labels, which re-kindled interest. I have about 50 of their discs. They had a series of Holst works conducted by his daughter. Very good. In fact, I think their British music discs were generally very good, both for selection and for performance.

On CD I've found an interesting compilation of Tchaikovsky works, including Overture and Incidental Music from Hamlet. Respighi's Belkis, Queen of Sheba, is very nice. Symphonic Poems of Dvorak is another set. And, I agree, the sound quality is always good.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Return to Musical Notes