Hardest instrument.

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:02 pm

Catmando wrote:By the way OT, how many bulletin boards are you on? :P And are you the King Whore in any of those? :P

:rotfl:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Angie Parkes » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:56 pm

A gajillion years ago, this topic was the subject of heated conversation at a gathering of musicians and spouses. The consensus from all the players was that it was a toss up between the violin and the french horn. There was very little argument from anyone about it.

There was a bit more discussion about the noblest sounding instrument. Top marks went to the french horn, oboe second, and bassoon third (I still can't figure out how "noblest" was defined).

And, given a high level of musicianship, the magnificence of highland pipes is in direct proportion to their quantity. Given an low to medium level of musicianship, the ratio is inverted. Mind you, I grew up in Nova Scotia, which translated from the Latin is New Scotland.

And in an entirely unrelated story, Piper James Richardson's highland bagpipes, long thought to be lost on the field at the Battle of the Somme, were returned to his home province, British Columbia, yesterday, November 08, 2006. Piper Richardson piped the Canadian 16th Battalion forward at the Somme and was awarded a Victoria Cross (analagous to the US Medal of Honor) for "conspicuous valour."
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:59 pm

Angie Parkes wrote:A gajillion years ago, this topic was the subject of heated conversation at a gathering of musicians and spouses. The consensus from all the players was that it was a toss up between the violin and the french horn. There was very little argument from anyone about it.

There was a bit more discussion about the noblest sounding instrument. Top marks went to the french horn, oboe second, and bassoon third (I still can't figure out how "noblest" was defined).

And, given a high level of musicianship, the magnificence of highland pipes is in direct proportion to their quantity. Given an low to medium level of musicianship, the ratio is inverted. Mind you, I grew up in Nova Scotia, which translated from the Latin is New Scotland.

And in an entirely unrelated story, Piper James Richardson's highland bagpipes, long thought to be lost on the field at the Battle of the Somme, were returned to his home province, British Columbia, yesterday, November 08, 2006. Piper Richardson piped the Canadian 16th Battalion forward at the Somme and was awarded a Victoria Cross (analagous to the US Medal of Honor) for "conspicuous valour."

I say the Trumpet is the noblest sounding instrument! :wink:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:11 pm

<ahem> French horn, well played, is one of the loveliest sounds on earth. Mind you, I enjoy any well-played brass, but the horn... Oh, my.

Keep in mind that while there are Horns in the band, there will be prayers in the band. Apparently, some pieces of music require continual prayer. Perhaps this results in nobility? :lol:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:47 pm

Why is a viiolin thought to be more difficult than a viola, cello or bass?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:02 pm

Angie Parkes wrote:A gajillion years ago, this topic was the subject of heated conversation at a gathering of musicians and spouses. The consensus from all the players was that it was a toss up between the violin and the french horn. There was very little argument from anyone about it.

their first assertion is objectively wrong. given that a cello is a big violin, it has all the same difficulties on a larger scale. it's easier to stay in tune in the high register, but everything else is much harder. but none of them approaches the difficulty of french horn. just listen to the orchestra. you can count on a professional string section to get the notes basically right, that's not true for pro horn players. the best players crack in the tough horn passages.

if iyou include reed making in the equation, and making sure your instrument doesn't explode, the oboe ties the horn.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:04 pm

piqaboo wrote:Why is a viiolin thought to be more difficult than a viola, cello or bass?

it is not, according to my experience. it's harder to "make it" as a violinist, since there are so many of them ,and since the technique has been stretched farther than the other instruments.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:05 pm

well played horn is definitely "noblest".
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:06 am

bignaf wrote:well played horn is definitely "noblest".

And badly played beginner horn (Deb) is not as bad as badly played beginner violin (Pokey), badly played beginner clarinet (Deb again and BTGOG she gave it up very quickly), badly played beginner saxophone (Fish and again very brief episode of insanity). Badly played beginner trumpet (Fish), flute (Deb), piano (Melle), guitar (Fish) are not too bad.

I have not yet acquired that bagpipe, so I don't know for sure about that one. :shock:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Angie Parkes » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:00 am

piqaboo wrote:Why is a viiolin thought to be more difficult than a viola, cello or bass?

bignaf wrote:given that a cello is a big violin, it has all the same difficulties on a larger scale. it's easier to stay in tune in the high register, but everything else is much harder.

I certainly can't speak from experience as my total instrumental talent began and ended with playing "Lightly Row" on a recorder, but the Resident Violinist insists that the smaller size of a violin makes intonation more precarious than on the larger instruments. Them may be fightin' words to other string players, but that's the RV's take on it.

Selma, I agree that beginner violin resembles fingernails scratching a chalkboard. Rob says something about the attention span of 5 year olds, but personally I think the reason the pre-school set has only 15-minute lessons is that's the limit of human endurance of the unique 1/4-size violin screech.
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:57 am

At least with the Cello and the Bass Viol, you don't have to look out of the corner of your eye to see what you're doing!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:49 pm

I recall a bumper sticker from the old days that was intended to sell motorcycles that said "Put something exciting between your legs."

I'm guessing a few here might have thought they were trying to sell cellos. :mrgreen:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:29 pm

hardest instrument is musical stones! they're hard!
bignaf
1st Chair

Harp

Postby Marye » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:59 pm

I am rather interested in the harp. Can anyone play this? I rather fancy taking a lesson after watching a young woman play her lovely harp in TSO.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:17 am

Marye,

The daughter of the organist at my church plays Harp.

I have played the past few years Christmas Eve watching
her play up close. It looks to be a very difficult instrument to master.

Not trying to discourage you but it's a very big instrument and I watch her lug the harp from the van into the church...

I know I would not want to do that......

TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Marye » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:20 am

Thank you TM.... I am thinking I just want to know how it works really as I do a great many instruments. So, I thought taking a lesson or two or more would be fun. I sort of want to leave the cello and the violin. No wood winds, I don't think. I was a smoker, though no longer, and I don't think I can spare the air.
Marye
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to The Debate Team