I have nothing to say but I thought I'd start a thread

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:31 am

Colonel Mustard? :crazy:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:04 am

In the Library with the Candlestick.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby GreatCarouser » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:34 am

Shapley wrote:So tell me, Haggis, what prompted you to dust off this old thread? And where is Mr. Mustard, anyway.

Note the thread's title and the content of the first post...Obviously Mr. Mustard was another of OT's 'dummy accounts'! :P
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby The Punky Kid Rides Again » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:57 am

Ahhh ha....I now get to add something from my musical knowledge...

(didn't think I would get there with this crew for quite awhile, being a classical new guy, relatively)

[b]There was indeed a Mr. Mustard, from The Beatles......Abbey Road Album.[/b]

Col. Mustard was obviously the Clue guy...but I liked Scarlett the best.

Ok, end of my knowledge and of giving back to the community.
I feel like I am growing.

:grouphug:
"I was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."
The Punky Kid Rides Again
5th Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:56 pm

Shapley wrote:My favourite colour is plaid.

My favourite mammal is the human.

My favourite letter is "Q".

So tell me, Haggis, what prompted you to dust off this old thread? And where is Mr. Mustard, anyway.

Well, I was doing some research on a previous post and ran into this one; a simple singular serendipitous happenstance.

[Nostalgic memories] I actually met Douglas Adams in Jan 1980 or 81 at a pub called the “three Tuns” in a borough of London; I can’t recall which one. A friend took me there and said that a lot of British Sci-Fi writers hung out there. Adams was there (he must have topped 6’6”!) and was well into his 4th or 12th pint. He said he was trying to be prepared in case Ford Prefect (you know that was an English car?!) came in the pub and they needed to board the Vogon ship. All in all he was a nice chap. The Hitchhiker Series was originally a radio show and the series was going strong at the time.

One of the best things that happened that evening was when I lamented to a Brit that the selection of Sci-Fi available in the typical English bookstore (WHSmiths) was limited he turned me onto a bookstore called “Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed,” On Berwick Street in SoHo.

I still believe that DTW&GE must have been the Mecca for Sci-Fi freaks in the western world. I got to go there 2-3 times and thought I was in heaven. I even convinced the MRHYN to go there once. On the fourth trip I went there it was closed. I almost cried. It had lasted from the early 70’s to about 1980 or 81

I still have a shopping bag from there. It was (at least) three stories of sci-fi, fantasy, and comic books both new and old; fantasy games, pieces, cards, and ouija boards. It was the neatest bookstore I have ever been in. I still have three Heinlein original paperbacks lovingly stored in moisture proof plastic that I purchased there for less than a dollar.

Though I never saw any writers there they had pictures of Joe Haldeman, Philip K. Dick, Fletcher Pratt and Harlan Ellison on the walls. [/nostalgic memories]

So, yes I’ve heard, read and watched HGTTG (TV version, didn’t see the movie) as well as met the (inebriated) author.

I’m fortunate
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:01 pm

Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed”. Obviously operated by a Ray Bradbury fan...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby bignaf » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:06 pm

My favorite color is still green. my favorite mammal is the yak. my favorite letter is X, and it should be pronounced "ech" ("ch" as in Scottish "loch"). X is a useless and confusing (at the same time!) letter in it's current (so-called) usage.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:12 pm

GreatCarouser wrote:
Shapley wrote:So tell me, Haggis, what prompted you to dust off this old thread? And where is Mr. Mustard, anyway.

Note the thread's title and the content of the first post...Obviously Mr. Mustard was another of OT's 'dummy accounts'! :P

not quite. He actually was here before OT. we had some discussions re: me sending some music to Ljubliana, I don't remember what happened to that. I think he has a radio station or something.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:16 pm

When I was stationed in Alameda I used to make the trek to San Francisco occasionally. There was bookstore there that I just loved, although I don't recall the name of it (if I ever even knew the name). It was located near Golden Gate Park and the USF campus (near being a relative term, I don't recall exactly how close it was - just that it was in walking distance). It was what I've always thought a bookstore should look like - dusty, cramped, with stacks of books piled to the ceiling. I found some interesting books there.

By far my favourite bookstore was in Newport News, VA. It was stacked high with books of every variety. The owner would attend estate sales and stop at yard sales, buying books by the truckload. He seldom seemed to have time to categorize them all. If he was there, he would let me search the boxes and buy books by the bundle before he had priced them. The rest of the staff (which was one other guy and some college girl) didn't want you looking at the stuff that wasn't yet on the shelves. Once, the owner had bought several boxes of maritime books from the estate of retired Coast Guard Captain. I bought everything I could afford (which wasn't much), and was sad to see so many books that I couldn't afford get away. I still have many of them on the shelves at home, although some have vanished over the years. There were books on steamships and sailing vessels, and a large number of engineering books on ship construction and wave mechanics. Great stuff.

We just don't have a bookstore like that in my area. Pity.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:20 pm

GreatCarouser wrote:

BZZZZZZZT! Wrong! Mr. Mustard was a member from Europe(I want to say Belgium). He had a really funny profile photo of an old can of dry mustard.

Too bad about those profile photos...

[edit] I just looked, it was Slovenia.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby BigJon » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:48 pm

Shapley wrote: My favourite mammal is the human.

Of the female persuasion? :P
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:51 pm

I think Mr Mustard was a journalist. He seemed to lose interest in the BBB. Judging from the date this thread began, his departure may have had something to do with Iraq war talk, if not the war itself. If I had been a US citizen abroad at the time, I would have kept my American connections under wraps. But, then, that's my feeling, not necessarily his.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Musical Notes