The Name Game

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

The Name Game

Postby BigJon » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:23 pm

Jack, Jack, bo-back,
Banana-fana fo-fack
Fee-fi-mo-mack
Jack!

No not that one, try this one It's a visual representation of the prevalence of first names throughout the last century. A neat web application and neat to see where you stack up.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:14 am

The developer of this application. (Requires JAVA by the way.)
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:34 am

US based?
Funny, our girl is a girl of her time. We dont know any others with her name, in childhood, but it was in the top25 the year before she was born, so we will know them, oh yes we will. Sigh. There were always two and often three with my name in class. I was always differentiated as "Big" piqaboo. Never bothered me, but it always annoyed soemone to be "Little" piqaboo.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:57 am

Well, I didn't find my name in the list, nor my Ooctavius or Rasputin.

(Ookay, okay, I'm kidding. My brothers aren't really named Octavius and Rasputin.)

Interestingly, Octavia is in the list, even though Octavius isn't. Is there some genetic reason that eighth children tend to be female, or are people simply ignoring the meaning of the name?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Re: The Name Game

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:39 am

BigJon wrote:Jack, Jack, bo-back,
Banana-fana fo-fack
Fee-fi-mo-mack
Jack!

No not that one, try this one It's a visual representation of the prevalence of first names throughout the last century. A neat web application and neat to see where you stack up.

VERY cool!!
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:06 pm

Yes, very cool.

I never had to be differentiated in any of my classrooms (even though they were very crowded) because I was always the only Selma in the school, until high school. There was one other there, but she was a year ahead of me and physically very dissimilar so nobody was ever confused. There were always multiple Lindas, though, and that baby name wizard illustrates why :yikes:

The kids' names came out about where I expected, though. Not too weird, not too common, dignified name with lots of available nicknames.

I'm saving that link, playing with it some more. :grin:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:28 pm

My given name "James", was/is very "WASP-ish" and seems to have fallen out of favor according to the chart. All during my childhood, my family called me Jamie...a name I did not like or use during my school years. It was perceived as girlish/weak in an environment that could be very meanspirited to anyone for even lesser reasons. The name is quite common in Scotland (my heritage). Later in life, I began using it, although in the work world, I am referred to as "Jim", I guess because it is easy. Most know my nickname, but do not use it. In my personal life, my friends call me Jamie...hence "JamieBK"
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:52 pm

It's interesting to note the rise of Islamic names in the last decade. Type in a few of them and take a look.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:13 pm

Be aware that the scale parameters change a lot even through the graph keeps the same graphic dynamic. So...you really have to guage name use by the "times per million" and not the "oh, Gee" graphs...another example of "how to lie with statistics"
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:34 pm

Shapley wrote:Well, I didn't find my name in the list, nor my Ooctavius or Rasputin.

(Ookay, okay, I'm kidding. My brothers aren't really named Octavius and Rasputin.)

Interestingly, Octavia is in the list, even though Octavius isn't. Is there some genetic reason that eighth children tend to be female, or are people simply ignoring the meaning of the name?

It's only the top 1000 names in any given time period. Also everything prior to the current decade is by decade, the current decade is by year, so don't let that skew your perspective.
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:36 pm

jamiebk wrote:Be aware that the scale parameters change a lot even through the graph keeps the same graphic dynamic. So...you really have to guage name use by the "times per million" and not the "oh, Gee" graphs...another example of "how to lie with statistics"

Don't you think that the authors accounted for that by showing the graphs growing as they are refined?
BigJon
2nd Chair

Return to Culture Connections