Jerry Springer comes to Air America Radio

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:43 am

Air America Radio Sells On The Auction Block for $4.25 Million

Hmmm, seems I may have been right about those ratings after all...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:47 pm

I find it continually amusing how some of you righties contend AA is nothing but an insignificant loser on the verge of collapse, not worthy of any attention, yet you keep bringing the subject up.................and AA still manages to carry on.

Of course, you'll continue to turn a blind eye to the fact that not only is AA carrying on, but more progressive radio networks are popping up:

Jones Radio Network

Nova M Radio Network

[/list][/i]
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:36 pm

I've merely posted the facts. The fact that they are struggling on in is irrelevant to the fact that they are bankrupt, and have just been sold.

Jones Radio includes in their line-up Neal Boortz, who used to be carried on many conservative radio networks. He is a libertarian, or claims to be. Mostly, he's a bore, which is why he isn't found on many conservative radio networks today.

The link to Nova M starts with a request for donations. Not a good sign. Obviously, they lack the advertising base needed to support their venture.

As an active progressive, you gave your hard earned money to many candidates and campaigns last year. Now, your money can work harder and go further. Rather than relying on campaign slogans and election cycles, our progressive message will be heard nationwide and worldwide over our network 24/7 and 365 days a year. Now that's a voice!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:49 pm

I think Nova M has been around for something like a whole month.

They have Mike Malloy, and are getting time on Clear Channel, so they seem to be heading in the correct direction.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:12 pm

I wish them luck. I really have no problem with liberal talk radio being on the air, I just don't listen to it. (Apparently, neither does the largest segment of the American listening public.)

Air America has struggled on, propped up by wealthy benefactors, most notably Rob Glaser. As a commercial venture, it is a miserable failure. At the time of filing for bankruptcy protection, it reported $4.3 million in assets and $20.6 million in debt, half of which was apparently owed to Mr. Glaser.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Re: Jerry Springer comes to Air America Radio

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:13 am

Atheist Radio Show Goes National on Air America, With Ron Reagan as Guest

If I understand this correctly, they want to 'counter' religious broadcasting.

Religious broadcasting primarily plays Gospel music and praises the glory of God. Do I understand that this programme will play atheist hymns and praise the glory of nothing? :confused:

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:32 am

Evangelical atheists are the funniest people on the planet, without even trying to be.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:08 pm

Air America Radio Suspends Randi Rhodes For Calling Clinton And Ferraro ... Uh... Well... Uh ... Bad Names.

I don't want to break any rules here by posting what she called them. Anyway, it appears that Hillary may be losing her appeal amongst radical liberal women...

It's interesting, of course, given the things she's called President Bush, Ronaldus Maximus, Vice-President Cheney, and Karl Rove, to name a few. Apparently there are some people you just aren't supposed to slander...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:29 pm

Randi Rhodes Quits Air America Over Anti-Hillary Rant

Both of her listeners will miss her...

Poor Hillary, she's gone from being the Messiah to being the Anti-Christ within a few short months. Those Neo-Libs, they have no loyalty...
Last edited by Shapley on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:58 am

Air America Goes Off Air, Files Bankruptcy

I guess, now that they don't have George Bush to kick around any more, those two remaining listeners turned off the radio.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:08 pm

It's kind of interesting reading this thread from the beginning. Air America Radio began in March of 2004, went bankrupt in 2006, went on the auction block in 2007, limped along thanks to huge influxes of cash until finally cashing out today. ('Cashing out' is obviously a poor choice of words, since it has been out of cash since at least 2006).

To read the network obituaries, one would think it was a trailblazer in creating the liberal-talk-radio format, but that is hardly true. NPR has provided 'progressive' talk shows for as long as I can remember. Many talk radio channels that carry the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Ken Hamblin, and Dr. Laura tried carrying 'progressive' talk shows, but most simply did not garner the ratings, even when paired with the flagship Rush Limbaugh Show, either by preceeding or following his popular program. Probably the most notable of these was Alan Colmes, whose show was carried by a number of stations that carried the Rush Limbaugh Show for a time. Mr. Colmes has since moved on to television, but his format predated Air America Radio by several years. To say that there was no 'progressive' radio shows before Air America Radio is to stretch the truth. Nor can you say that Air America Radio was the first 'commercially successful' progressive radio format, since the history seems to require quite a stretch of the term 'commercially successful' in order to justify that claim.

One obituary does make the claim that Air America Radio was responsible for making Al Franken a Senator, as it paved his move from comedian to 'serious' political commentator. Even that requires a stretch, methinks, since Comedy Central had used him as commentator for their campaign coverage as early as 2000, and his books on politics were written before there was an Air America Radio. Rush Limbaugh Is A Big, Fat Idiot was written in 1999, long before the founding of Air America Radio.

Granted, obituaries are meant to bolster the image of the deceased, whether the deceased be human or corporate, and we generally are forgiving if the eulogy stretches the truth a bit. Nor should I speak ill of the dead, even if it is just dead air.

Air America Radio, R.I.P.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Previous

Return to The Debate Team