Peter and the Wolf

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Peter and the Wolf

Postby Jane » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:30 pm

Thanks Rob. I don't know where I got my source, but I'm going to go recheck it. I think I'm reading backwards. :D
“This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.” -O. Wilde
Jane
4th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:39 am

Dylsexia?
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby ai4i » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:39 pm

OK people, I just heard the most wonderful adorable take off on this piece we are all so fond of. If you've not heard it, you really owe it to yourself to check it out.
The Shirim Klezmer Orchestra's, Pincus and the Pig.
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

Postby DavidS » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:46 am

It sounds absolutely wild (meshugga). I've added it to my favourites.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu May 04, 2006 11:42 am

It's on!

Cheering for the duck, today. :lol:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby RC » Thu May 04, 2006 5:56 pm

We're doing Peter & the Wolf next season and you'd think I'd be really excited but:
a) I probably won't get to be Principal next year
and
b) I really want to play first on Daphnes & Chloe so I'm trying to manipulate maestro with a bargain.

That bird thing is sure fun but Daphnes & Chloe...oh my god...makes my little heart thump, thump
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else.
Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi
RC
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Thu May 04, 2006 8:38 pm

My heart thumps, too. Daphnis changed my career. I was a junior in engineering when I heard the first part of suite #2 wafting out of a building on a beautiful spring day (which the music describes). I followed it to discover a Music App course. I wanted it, but there was no room in the engineering curriculum. So I changed to math to fit it in. No regrets.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby RC » Fri May 05, 2006 5:29 am

shostakovich wrote:My heart thumps, too. Daphnis changed my career. I was a junior in engineering when I heard the first part of suite #2 wafting out of a building on a beautiful spring day (which the music describes). I followed it to discover a Music App course. I wanted it, but there was no room in the engineering curriculum. So I changed to math to fit it in. No regrets.
Shos
See there. I knew we had something in common.
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else.
Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi
RC
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Fri May 05, 2006 8:43 pm

Daphinitely!
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon May 15, 2006 11:57 am

Hey - my son just saw an ad at the beginning of a Disney tape my parents showed him that had some Peter and the Wolf (not sure exactly what - I didn't see it). Now he's talking about it all the time (will see if our library has a book version). so I thought I'd ask if anyone has a favorite version (that might still be in 'print') so I can purchase a CD. Thanks bunches!! :)
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby DavidS » Mon May 15, 2006 1:12 pm

I bought my grandson (aged 3) a BMG DVD (IF/X Production) film + cartoon version of PATW with Lloyd Bridges as Grandpa, Kirstie Allen as Mum, and George Daugherty as Peter.
He loves it.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed May 17, 2006 9:48 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:Hey - my son just saw an ad at the beginning of a Disney tape my parents showed him that had some Peter and the Wolf (not sure exactly what - I didn't see it). Now he's talking about it all the time (will see if our library has a book version). so I thought I'd ask if anyone has a favorite version (that might still be in 'print') so I can purchase a CD. Thanks bunches!! :)

The Disney movie version was recorded (mono) with Sorcerer's Apprentice on the flip side. The narrator was Stirling Holloway on both. Very cute. It may be on CD. The video version may be on DVD. I copied it onto tape from a TV program.
Except for the dated sound it would be my favorite version. The duck ends up in a tree trunk, and not in the wolf's stomach.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed May 24, 2006 2:12 pm

Thanks - I got the video David recommended. Watched it last night. Very cute. Pumpkin was in hysterics over the bird and duck fooling around. My husband was a little worried about the duck getting eaten (he's just there one second and gone the next) - don't think Pumpkin was traumatized or upset. Told him long before the end that the duck gets out of the wolf and he seemed fine with it. Not sure he really understands the concept of death, so something getting eaten isn't really scary to him.

But thanks!!

Also got a book with CD, but the story seemed to go too slowly for him, he kept wanting to turn the pages. May just read the story separately for now - save the CD for when he's a bit older.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:18 am

I have only one copy of this work on CD. It is written and narrated by Prof Shickele and is called Sneaky Pete and the Wolf. I've decided, however, that no matter how you cut it, Peter and the Wolf is an annoying piece, much like Bolero.

The CD also contains Saint-Saens Carnival of the Animals also written and narrated by Prof. Schickele, which more than makes up for Sneaky Pete's failings. I think it is one of the best Carnival's I've heard. I have several versions of Carnival now in my collection, some with narration, some without. This is because I am a Saint-Saens fan and it is often included on the same CD with other works.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:03 pm

Shap, if you can find it, Wendy Carlos and Wierd Al Yankovic did a "Part 2" of Carnival of the Animals, several parts of which I found very funny. It's on the flip side of their Peter And The Wolf on my LP. CDs are going on eBay for around $100.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby ai4i » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:13 am

I just heard another improvisation of the story which should have Sergei laughing in his grave. In 1993, Peter Schickele strayed from his PDQ Bach character to write "Sneaky Pete and The Wolf" to be recorded by the A(tlanta)SO, conducted by Yoel Levy. If anyone can find the lyrics, please post them or a link to them.
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:22 pm

Ya know, if you look at PATW in today's context, the wolf is the only character that could qualify as a member of an endangered species. Which is all the more reason to root for the lupine.

In today’s PC world the “ecostapo©” pat. pend. would probably take over grandpa lands and designate the area as a "protected sanctuary" and begin trucking other wolves in to build up the population and fine the hunters

Although, come to think of it, a talking duck is probably pretty rare too
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Duck meat is fatty. I wonder if wolf meat is any better....Wolf Jerky? Save the wolf! It's another source of protein and its coat keeps us warm!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:52 am

Serenity wrote:Duck meat is fatty. I wonder if wolf meat is any better....Wolf Jerky? Save the wolf! It's another source of protein and its coat keeps us warm!

Do I hear the animal rights folks knocking at your door? :wink:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:39 am

It's playing! It's Playing!

I shall enjoy it, and imagine all the folks who don't diving for their volume controls... :twisted:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes