HELP!!!!!

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

HELP!!!!!

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:55 pm

We have a listener that works on an oil rig off the coast of Nigeria. He has a lot of time on his hands and read through the entire Bulletin Board! We need to give him a medal. :#1: But he has a question... he ran across a topic about whether or not Hell was endothermic or exothermic. He now can not locate that topic. Does anyone have an idea where that topic is and can you post a link so I can send it to him? Thanks! And Richard from Lagos, Nigeria thanks you too! :chestbump:
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:57 pm

Nicole,

Could it be a thread that was originally under Ryan's old forum, which is no longer?

Just a thought.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:59 pm

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:21 pm

I think this is the original format of the joke, as I remember it:

The following is an actual question given on University of Washington chemistry mid-term. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues via the Internet, which is of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law, (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving.

I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.

Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Teresa Banyan during my Freshman year that "...it will be a cold day in Hell before I give you my number" and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in acquiring her number, then 2 cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze.

The student received the only "A".

I think the link I posted messed up the final part of it by not adequately explaining why he knows that Hell hasn't frozen over.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:40 am

Thank you!!! Richard in Nigeria thanks you too! :D
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:45 am

No problem.

Here, just to put the matter in perspective, is Snopes entry on it:

Snopes.com: Helfire

Being a Catholic myself, I thought it important to point out that the official Catholic stance is that souls have no mass. ;)

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby GreatCarouser » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:05 am

Shapley wrote: Being a Catholic myself, I thought it important to point out that the official Catholic stance is that souls have no mass. ;)

V/R
Shapley

Sorry to disagree, Shap, somewhere in the Catholic universe Mass is being celebrated for the departed right now. Proof that souls have mass!
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:07 am

Good one GC!! :rofl: :rofl:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:49 pm

Proof that souls have mass!

That's Mass, with a capital M!. :D

Anyway, it's the living that have the Mass, for the benefit of the souls. :)

V/R
Shapley

BTW, I notice that the 'View Posts Since Last Visit' doesn't seem to be working properly. Twice now it did not catch the posts on this thread, and it missed one in the 'Musical Notes' earlier today.

Something else for Sarge to look into, when he has the chance, I suppose.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Return to Nicole Marie