Road Rage.

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:33 am

Let me remark, again, on the inability of Sandy Eggans to drive on damp pavement.

This morning, my mantra was "calm. patient. kind. courteous." I was projecting as hard as I could but I don't know if it worked. No evidence to speak of either way.

There were several spinouts reported on the radio, and the 28th street onramp to 5N was closed, as there was a city crew removing an iceplant-and-mud avalanche with a skiploader and shovels. :wow:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Frankie Laine?

Postby lliam » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:16 am

Did any of you Sandy Eggans know Frankie per chance? I think he was having his hip replacement in a San Diego Hospital. 93 is a big age to have hip operations don't you think? :?

Crooner Frankie Laine dies at 93

Frankie Laine was one of the leading pre-rock 'n' roll performers
Veteran singer Frankie Laine has died in a California hospital aged 93 after suffering a heart attack following hip replacement surgery.
He was one of the most popular singers of the late 1940s and 1950s before rock 'n' roll put him in the shade.

His hits include Jezebel, I Believe, and the theme from television Western series Rawhide.

"He was one of the greatest singers, one of the last Italian crooner types," said his producer Jimmy Marino.

He gave his last public performance little more than a year ago, singing his first big hit That's My Desire on a TV show.

Born Frank LoVecchio, he was the son of a barber who moved to the United States from Sicily.

He struggled to earn a living until he was in his 30s. He had his first hit in 1947, after jazz musician Hoagy Carmichael enthused about his performance in a Los Angeles nightclub.

"Ten years is a good stretch of scuffling," Laine later said. "But I scuffled for 17 years before it happened, and 17 is a bit much."

Country covers

Laine carried on performing until shortly before his death
In a career lasting four decades, Laine achieved 21 gold records, and sold about 250 million albums.

Among his other hits were Mule Train, Cool Water, Granada and That Lucky Old Sun.

He holds a UK singles chart record for the most weeks at number one with one song, with I Believe topping the chart for 18 weeks in three spells during the spring and summer of 1953.

Laine enjoyed two other number one hits later that year, Hey Joe, and Answer Me, giving him 27 weeks at the top of the chart in 1953.

He had a further chart-topper in 1956, A Woman In Love.

As well as Rawhide, he sang the theme to Mel Brooks' parody 1974 Western movie, Blazing Saddles.

He also covered songs by country singers, including Hank Williams' classics Hey Good Lookin' and Your Cheatin' Heart.

Laine's family said he would be remembered for the beautiful music he brought into the world, his wit and his sense of humour.
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:18 pm

Hi lliam! Didnt know Frankie, but its good to see from you again!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:54 am

I'm reasonably familiar with his music. Although 93 is a ripe old age, losing a genuine star like him is always sad.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby monkeymd2b » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:06 pm

it seems people are never too old to have hip replacements...or young for that matter. One of our patients is only 64 and had her hip replaced on saturday...she fell while holding her dog, who apparently also has bad hips. It's just riskier. We often say that once you break a hip, it takes a few years off your life. Usually cause people then have decreased mobility and the old ones take more effort to bounce back. Once you enter a nursing home, that also takes few months off your life. We actually have 3 folks with recent hip surgeries. One has alzheimers so I don't know if she remembers she had the surgery but she's "pleasantly demented" - in other words, she doesn't curse at, bite, or grab at us. time for dinner

as for road rage, one of the OB nurses scolded me for tailing her the other day...so I asked her why she didn't drive faster. She didn't have a response. Now I try to drive better around her home but I still get angry when people drive under the speed limit. Shouldn't there be a speed minimum too?
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:21 pm

Hmm. I wonder if the "few years" you lose with a hip break is because the break is such a stressor, or because you reevaluate general health once the broken hip raises the skeleton-is-failing red flag? FWIW, my grandmother that had the broken hips and replacements was the one that lived to 97. I'm doing what I can to stay out of the broken category. Take my premarin, take my calcium, put milk :yuk: on my cereal, etc.

I know there's a minimum speed limit on the freeway; I also know there's some annoying nitwit violating it. Usually right ahead of me. :curse: :poke: But the most annoying nitwit is the one doing 64 mph in the #1 lane on the interstate.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:40 pm

Interestingly, round is one of the best preventatives of osteoporosis. Its that whole interaction-with-gravity thing.
My g'gma who broke a hip went the classic downhill route - not fun. Does lifting the Altoid count as gravity-resistant exercise?
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:48 pm

Round what? Body shape?
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:26 pm

We had our first snowstorm yesterday. Saw several cars bashed or stuck in snow on the side of the road. I hope the 2 jerks in their SUVs or AWD vehicles that were tailgating my bumper ended up in a ditch somewhere :evil:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:32 pm

I was travelling 20-25mph in a 30 zone on local streets yesterday....

Streets had black ice all over the place

this car was tailgating me and honking their horn at me for not
going faster...

this road had one lane for north and one lane for south....

this idiot decided to drive north bound in the south bound lane
to get around all the slow moving vehichles......

they made a turn when they reached the corner so I
don't know what happened to them.....

It's drivers like that who need to have their licenses revoked....

end of commentary.....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Serenity » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:37 pm

Same scenario here 20-25mph. I eventually slowed down when I saw a string of cars coming in the other lane, came to a complete stop and put my hazards on. There was no other car behind him and I got the finger as he went by but it was worth it. I took my hazard lights off and kept driving hoping to see him spun out up ahead. :rofl:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:46 pm

Serenity wrote:Same scenario here 20-25mph. I eventually slowed down when I saw a string of cars coming in the other lane, came to a complete stop and put my hazards on. There was no other car behind him and I got the finger as he went by but it was worth it. I took my hazard lights off and kept driving hoping to see him spun out up ahead. :rofl:

Serenity,

I also got the finger as while they were tailgating me... I gently stepped
on my brake..... It pissed them off so much......

I have an AWD and it felt OK driving at slow speeds.... but when
you hit ice...... well........ you're just going to slide......................

btw - how have things been going for you?

Regards,
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:48 pm

BigJon wrote:Round what? Body shape?

Yes
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:23 pm

Piq,

I take it you used the 'delete post' button rather than the editor to change that last message.

I could have sworn it read differently the first time I looked at it. :D

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:36 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:
Serenity,

I also got the finger as while they were tailgating me... I gently stepped
on my brake..... It pissed them off so much......

I have an AWD and it felt OK driving at slow speeds.... but when
you hit ice...... well........ you're just going to slide......................

btw - how have things been going for you?

Regards,
TM

Things are looking up TM! 2007 is the year of positive changes at home and at work! :flex:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:21 pm

I take public transportation to work, so I leave the driving to them. But on Tuesday we had a sleet storm. It's as unpleasant as it sounds, but the remnants are remarkable.

My neighborhood has a three-inch thick sheet of ice on it. You can walk on it and not leave tracks, as long as you don't fall on your posteriosum. The streets have been plowed, but the five-house driveway I live at the end of has not been plowed, and I'm sure it will not be plowed. Instead, as the cars drive over the ice, they break it up and pack it down, rendering the route treacherous. Did I mention it's also fairly steep, and one of the houses has a dimwit in it who parks right at the bottom of the driveway?

I bought a set of studded soles for my boots called Stabilicers, and they really help walking on that stuff. It looks like snow, but you can knock on it. Wierdest stuff I've seen. When walking home this evening, I looked for my tracks from the morning. I could find them, but just barely. The studs barely made a dent, just enough for good traction.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:41 pm

Our "snow" has the strength of concrete blocks, so the boys and I decided to build a massive snow fort out of what we could break away from the pack. It should last until July 4th.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:43 am

Shapley wrote:Piq,

I take it you used the 'delete post' button rather than the editor to change that last message.

I could have sworn it read differently the first time I looked at it. :D

V/R
Shapley

I changed nothing. Perhaps you are suffering from snow blindness? ;)
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby lliam » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:19 pm

piqaboo wrote:Hi lliam! Didnt know Frankie, but its good to see from you again!

O'h Piq, I didn't know you cared so much :grouphug: . That's really very nice.

I've been very busy this last 6 mnths, so, I've not had much chance to get on the BB's. That doesn't mean I don't think of y'all.

We had some snow here also, what a chaos, everywhere was gridlocked :crazy: , people who only lived 5or6 miles from work it was taking them 4or5 hrs to get home. :(
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:43 am

Yikes! Days like that, I'd want to leave the car at the office, and walk.
But thats also no fun, with the wrong shoes.
piqaboo
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections