Feb. 18th - Chinese New Year!

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Feb. 18th - Chinese New Year!

Postby Catmando » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:52 pm

Sunday Feb. 18th is the Chinese New Year. It is the "Year of the Pig"!

What "year" were you born?

I'm from the "Year of the Tiger"
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:59 pm

Isn't the Year of the Pig sort of non-PC these days? I thought they changed it to Year of the Boar.......

anyway, I'm from the Year of the B****, i.e.....Dog.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:14 pm

Serenity wrote:Isn't the Year of the Pig sort of non-PC these days? I thought they changed it to Year of the Boar.......

anyway, I'm from the Year of the B****, i.e.....Dog.

Hmm, the calendar I'm looking at says "Pig", not boar.

I looked at Year of the Tiger. It says my "countries" are: Russia, Romania, Spain, Turkey, El Salvador, North Korea.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:20 pm

Year of the Wood Ox. Incidentally, my birthday, as per the traditional calendar, comes under the zodiac sign of the bull.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:21 pm

navneeth wrote:Year of the Wood Ox. Incidentally, my birthday, as per the traditional calendar, comes under the zodiac sign of the bull.

That would explain why you like "Bullero". :rofl:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:22 pm

Catmando wrote:I looked at Year of the Tiger. It says my "countries" are: Russia, Romania, Spain, Turkey, El Salvador, North Korea.

Not bad. You probably won't have oil shortages, and STOP THOSE NUCULAR TESTS!!!

:P
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:24 pm

Catmando wrote:
navneeth wrote:Year of the Wood Ox. Incidentally, my birthday, as per the traditional calendar, comes under the zodiac sign of the bull.

That would explain why you like "Bullero". :rofl:

That's punny!

:dunce:
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:25 pm

navneeth wrote:
Catmando wrote:I looked at Year of the Tiger. It says my "countries" are: Russia, Romania, Spain, Turkey, El Salvador, North Korea.

Not bad. You probably won't have oil shortages, and STOP THOSE NUCULAR TESTS!!!

:P

Perhaps I'm pre-disposed to become a Dictator. :flex:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:33 pm

I think my year was the sloth.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:56 am

wabbit.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:59 am

Year of the Platypus.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:22 am

Big doin's out here in San Francisco this weekend. http://www.sfgate.com/cny/ Wish you all could take part. Chinatown rocks during CNY. Here is more than you probably wanted to know about the holiday:
http://www.chinapage.com/newyear.html
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:22 am

See Cat.....that sfgate link has Year of the Boar in the headline! Now, where's my chinese horoscope for today............... :owned:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:37 am

Year of the rabbit for me too Piqaboo (you wascally wabbit you). We are:

People born in the Year of the Rabbit are articulate, talented, and ambitious. They are virtuous, reserved, and have excellent taste. Rabbit people are admired, trusted, and are often financially lucky. They are fond of gossip but are tactful and generally kind. Rabbit people seldom lose their temper. They are clever at business and being conscientious, never back out of a contract. They would make good gamblers for they have the uncanny gift of choosing the right thing. However, they seldom gamble, as they are conservative and wise. They are most compatible with those born in the years of the Sheep, Pig, and Dog.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:40 am

Serenity wrote:See Cat.....that sfgate link has Year of the Boar in the headline! Now, where's my chinese horoscope for today............... :owned:

Serenity you are:

1922, 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, 2006

People born in the Year of the Dog possess the best traits of human nature. They have a deep sense of loyalty, are honest, and inspire other people¡¦s confidence because they know how to keep secrets. But Dog People are somewhat selfish, terribly stubborn, and eccentric. They care little for wealth, yet somehow always seem to have money. They can be cold emotionally and sometimes distant at parties. They can find fault with many things and are noted for their sharp tongues. Dog people make good leaders. They are compatible with those born in the Years of the Horse, Tiger, and Rabbit.

(hey...don't shoot the messenger) :rofl:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:58 am

jamiebk wrote:People born in the Year of the Rabbit are articulate, talented, and ambitious. They are virtuous, reserved, and have excellent taste.

You are right jamie, rabbits are excellent tasting. :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:59 am

Platypi are very loyal individuals. They do not like dishonesty or mockery of any sort. They are blunt, up front and honest people and expect those around them to be the same. Platypi are happiest when they are surrounded by others, at a party or just a social gathering. They even enjoy the spotlight and will exhibit their charisma and wit in a minute. This star quality can be overbearing, for a Platypus expects you to listen to him while he speaks and can become agitated if you don’t. Platypi do have a tendency to brag about themselves and their achievements and demand an attentive audience when doing so.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:10 pm

Shapley wrote:Platypi are very loyal individuals. They do not like dishonesty or mockery of any sort. They are blunt, up front and honest people and expect those around them to be the same. Platypi are happiest when they are surrounded by others, at a party or just a social gathering. They even enjoy the spotlight and will exhibit their charisma and wit in a minute. This star quality can be overbearing, for a Platypus expects you to listen to him while he speaks and can become agitated if you don’t. Platypi do have a tendency to brag about themselves and their achievements and demand an attentive audience when doing so.

Do Platypi tend to be ultra-conservatives? :lol:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:15 pm

Do Platypi tend to be ultra-conservatives?

Absolutely! :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:26 pm

jamiebk wrote:
Serenity wrote:See Cat.....that sfgate link has Year of the Boar in the headline! Now, where's my chinese horoscope for today............... :owned:

Serenity you are:

1922, 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, 2006

People born in the Year of the Dog possess the best traits of human nature. They have a deep sense of loyalty, are honest, and inspire other people¡¦s confidence because they know how to keep secrets. But Dog People are somewhat selfish, terribly stubborn, and eccentric. They care little for wealth, yet somehow always seem to have money. They can be cold emotionally and sometimes distant at parties. They can find fault with many things and are noted for their sharp tongues. Dog people make good leaders. They are compatible with those born in the Years of the Horse, Tiger, and Rabbit.

(hey...don't shoot the messenger) :rofl:

Hey! Sentences 3, 5 and 6 contradict sentence 1. Where did you find these? Do they have some good dog leaders listed? I need a good role model to save me from some of those other qualities you listed.
Serenity
1st Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections