Top Ten Non-Beethoven Symphonies

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby navneeth » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:48 am

Catmando wrote:No votes at all for any Haydn symphony.

I would've included one if only I could remember their numbers! :dunce: Certainly very enjoyable stuff.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:52 am

Catmando wrote:
jamiebk wrote:Thanks for doing this Hal...perhaps we could talk HRH into doing a "top 10 picks" weekend.

jamie, that's an awesome idea! :owned:

Ditto. But I'm not sure if it can be implemented, because it will appear as through we're some exclusive club of sorts. Of course, that wouldn't be a problem if HRH doesn't mention that it was selected by the members of the BBB. ;)
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:52 am

navneeth wrote:

I would've included one if only I could remember their numbers! :dunce: Certainly very enjoyable stuff.

I don't remember the numbers either, I go more by the names, like "Surprise", "London", "The Bear", "The Hen", "Le Matin", etc.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:55 am

Catmando wrote:
navneeth wrote:

I don't remember the numbers either, I go more by the names, like "Surprise", "London", "The Bear", "The Hen", "Le Matin", etc.

But there are so many that even the names confuse me. Do his symphonies always have a connection with the names? :dunce: I know Surprise, London, Paris(?), and Farewell have.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:57 am

navneeth wrote:
Catmando wrote:
navneeth wrote:

But there are so many that even the names confuse me. Do his symphonies always have a connection with the names? :dunce: I know Surprise, London, Paris(?), and Farewell have.

Apparently, there are several London symphonies, but one of the several is specifically nicknamed "London". :rolleyes:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:59 am

Haydn

I'm sure he'd obtain more votes in a Top Ten Most "underrated" of composers, in my opinion.

Although......some may say he's the exact opposite.....one of the most overrated.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:24 pm

navneeth wrote:
Catmando wrote:
jamiebk wrote:Thanks for doing this Hal...perhaps we could talk HRH into doing a "top 10 picks" weekend.

jamie, that's an awesome idea! :owned:

Ditto. But I'm not sure if it can be implemented, because it will appear as through we're some exclusive club of sorts. Of course, that wouldn't be a problem if HRH doesn't mention that it was selected by the members of the BBB. ;)

I just emailed Nicole. She liked the idea and said she'd do it...news to follow. How cool is that!! Thanks Nicole!! :toast:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:39 pm

jamiebk wrote:I just emailed Nicole. She liked the idea and said she'd do it...news to follow. How cool is that!! Thanks Nicole!! :toast:

:victory:
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:47 pm

jamiebk wrote:I just emailed Nicole. She liked the idea and said she'd do it...news to follow. How cool is that!! Thanks Nicole!! :toast:

Tres cool! Her Royal Highness has shown her subjects mercy! :mrgreen:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby hal 9000 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:00 pm

Wow! Some of you are anxious to get started on the next poll! :rofl:

Please do not submit lists for the next Top Ten thread until after I have opened a new thread for it. This allows me to compile my own list before I start seeing who is nominated by others when I participate.

Also, we are still working out the specifics of the next thread topic, so it is premature to send a list at this time as the subject can change and put early lists at a disadvantage.
Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
hal 9000
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:18 pm

I hear a Haydn symphony playing right now.

It's nice, but as I said, he's no Mahler. :D

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Marye » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:47 pm

Well I too had Rachmaninoff's Symphony #2 on my list and at 11, but after looking at my list I thought, nah... never mind...

Have we decided on the contest?

Congrats Shap.. :)
Marye
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Musical Notes