Another Musical Thread - Mendelssohn Symphonies

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Another Musical Thread - Mendelssohn Symphonies

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:57 am

I'm considering adding some Mendelssohn symphonies to my CD collection and need some advice. I took a look at the selection at the local Barnes & Noble and found a few available. They have a set, or rather two CD sets (The Symphonies Vol 1 and The Symphonies, Vol. 2, by Christoph von Dohnányi and the Vienna Philharmonic that looks promising. In addition to the symphonies, there is a selection of overtures included.

I'm only familiar with his fourth symphony, which I have on one CD and also on vinyl but haven't listened to in quite a while. I believe a movement or two of it is also on one of 'greatest music' CD's.

Anyone have any recommendations, or are you familiar with this set at all? The 'listen' feature at the B&N store allows you only to hear about 1 minute of the first two tracks, which is not sufficient to get a feel for it, IMHO.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:12 pm

Do you have a Borders nearby? Find the CD, take it over to the listening counter, pull up a chair, and ask the clerk to put it on for you. They will. They don't appreciate you sitting through the whole CD, but you are expected to listen for a lot more than a minute.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:29 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Do you have a Borders nearby? Find the CD, take it over to the listening counter, pull up a chair, and ask the clerk to put it on for you. They will. They don't appreciate you sitting through the whole CD, but you are expected to listen for a lot more than a minute.

No, we don't have Borders around here. There is one in Paducah, KY and Marion, IL, both about an hour away, but Barnes & Nobles holds sway here in Cape Girardeau.

We do have a music store that lets you listen before you buy, but their classical selection is extremely limited.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:46 pm

Shap,

As you saw me post a few days ago, I just received a complete set of Mendelssohn's 5 symphonies, conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy and the Deutches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin.

In fact, I just had a listen to both the 3rd "Scottish" and 4th "Italian" symphonies today and greatly enjoyed both!

The price was right!

It does have a few reviews on Amazon, although I did purchase it through B&N.

Mendelssohn Ashkenazy Complete Symphonies
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:49 pm

Cat,

It was your post that got me to thinking I needed to add some Mendelssohn to my collection. That set is not available at our local store, but I did see it online. Glad to see that you like it.

I was hoping to get some feedback on comparable sets, before I make my choice. In the meantime, that one may make its' way into the store. :)

V/R

Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:52 am

Hey, Shap...I discovered this set yesterday, and I have added to my wishlist, too. :) I think it is good value for money.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:08 am

Nav,

Looks like a good set. I went with the set by Christoph von Dohnányi and the Vienna Philharmonic. I've listened to Vol. 1. I've also played Vol. 2, but I was interrupted so many times that I may as well not have, so I'll have to play it again when I actually have time to listen to it.

I like the selection on the set you listed. The Dohnányi set has some of the overtures, but doesn't have Midsummer Night's Dream, which I always enjoy. It does, however, include Die Erste Walpurgisnacth.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:08 am

Nav,

Looks like a good set. I went with the set by Christoph von Dohnányi and the Vienna Philharmonic. I've listened to Vol. 1. I've also played Vol. 2, but I was interrupted so many times that I may as well not have, so I'll have to play it again when I actually have time to listen to it.

I like the selection on the set you listed. The Dohnányi set has some of the overtures, but doesn't have Midsummer Night's Dream, which I always enjoy. It does, however, include Die Erste Walpurgisnacth.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:20 am

Shap,

I don't have the full collection of Mendelssohn works, but I do have this CD, which I think is excellent: http://www.amazon.com/Felix-Mendelssohn ... B0000041QW

(I also have the Dvorak "New World" ala Solti...pretty good rendering)
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 am

I saw one with #3 & 4 with Bernstein and Israel PO at the store here, but after seeing that at amazon, I think I'll go for that boxed set. (I think it would work out cheaper than most 2CD sets I get here!)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:57 am

navneeth wrote:Hey, Shap...I discovered this set yesterday, and I have added to my wishlist, too. :) I think it is good value for money.

It does look like an awesome set. I'm happy to see that it includes the Octet for strings. :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Return to Musical Notes