Wagner Again

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Wagner Again

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:00 pm

I don't know treebeau...Somebody was smart enough to get into the export business!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:51 pm

Tim, since I don't live in Ohio any more, and haven't considered it my address at any time in my concious life, it might be kinda tough. I'll probably visit there sometime in the next couple of months, though, so I'll see if I can find any.

You're actually only a few hours further from Ohio than I am, depending on your route.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:54 pm

True. Last time I set foot in Ohio, though, was in 1989. Why go again? Well, maybe one day I'll take my son to Cedar Point.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:11 pm

Hey, will somebody send me a couple? I need a pair... :roll:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bswarms » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:29 am

Be careful what you ask for OT, you just might get it.
bswarms
5th Chair

Postby lliam » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:05 pm

Originally posted by Benito Of Denver:

Sounds like a hard game because you may do as much damage to your own conker by strking. Also sounds difficult!
====================

Do tell, what of your childhood days of Conkering, lliam!?

-Benito
=========================
Well Ben,
I was the same as any other kid, we used to bake them in the oven, soak in vinegar to make them harder. The best conker I ever had was a Twelver.
lliam. :) :cool:
=======================================
Hey you New England Guys here's an Idea for you.
The game is played in the fall so, it keeps you warm trying to swipe each others conkers. As you can see below the game is still going strong in England UK.
-------------------------------------------

Hail the conkering heroes
============================
England has two new world champions following a fiercely fought sporting contest in Northamptonshire.
Richard Swailes and Liz Gibson beat off an international field of competitors to claim respectively the men's and women's world conker championship titles in the village of Ashton.

Mr Swailes, the hometown favourite, took the 38th annual championship on Sunday, replacing the previous top hitter Neil Fraser.

Ms Gibson, from East Sussex, ensured an England double and brought to an end the reign of French champion Celine Parachou.

Sexism row

The tournament, played on a knockout basis, took place on Ashton's village green.

The 400 competitors were split into men's women's and children's sections.

However, men and women are not allowed to compete against each other.

This triggered a row in 2001 when officials prevented Ms Parachou striking a blow for female players by taking on her male counterpart.

Among those aiming for conker immortality were players from China and New Zealand, as well as a strong European contingent.

To ensure fair play, organisers supplied the conkers, thus preventing the use of banned supplements such as vinegar.

About 1,000 conkers were picked for this year's championship, all of which were drilled and laced by the officials.

<small>[ 06-07-2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: lliam ]</small>
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby dkm32 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:31 pm

Originally posted by operatenor:
Hey, will somebody send me a couple? I need a pair... :roll:
Ooops! I take back everything I ever joked about you!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:56 pm

That strange game was apparently Biblical. A chorus by Handel states, "See, the Conk'ring Hero Comes".
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:59 pm

I just re-read your note Lliam. It looks like you beat me to the pun(ch).
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:33 am

Whatever happened to Mr. Parrothead, the Jimmy Buffet fan? Now there was a conch-er.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:20 am

Thanks Lliam, for that article about conkers. I could have done with it 50 years ago when I was reading stories about British schoolboys and wondering what on earth conkers were. After several years I got it figured out, but it took a long time.

By the way, talking about British school stories, what is a "remove" form? The hero was always a fourth former, and often in the "remove" as well. I still haven't found an answer to that one, and the British people I've asked don't know either.

I do know that boys from "remove" forms (or classes; I'm not sure if some of our friends understand high school "forms") went on to populate the British motor industry. Whenever I wanted to work on any part of my British cars, I first had to "remove" some other part! ;)
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:49 am

I saw Die Walküre yesterday.... magnificient! What a fabulous opera... And even after 4 and a half hours I could have heard more.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Ajax » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:38 am

Marye,

That is awesome. In October, I took a solo backpacking trip to Germany. One of my stops was in Wagners' hometown, Bayreuth. You can tour the house, which stores many interesting historical pieces. The collection was quite impressive, especially since America bombed the house during the war. I can only wonder what it looked like before the bombing!
Ajax
4th Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:27 pm

Can anyone explain what the Transformation Music in Parsifal is depicting? I know the overall story but I only have a couple of highlights on a CD and the music is alluring; what's happening during the scene?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:46 pm

Found it! It's the Suffering Leitmotif that I find so fascinating!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:45 pm

I wanted to resurrect this thread, because I'm curious about Wagner......

He is a mystery to me, the most mysterious it seems, of all composers.

While many in the music community (musicians, conductors, critics, musicologists, etc) place him at or very near the greatest of Bach, Mozart and Beethoven, so little of his music seems to be played.

In other words, the only work I have heard or seen requested is the Ride of the Valkries from his Die Walkure opera.

Why isn't his music as "popular", for lack of a better word, as the Bachs, Beethovens, Mozarts?

How does one get into Wagner's music? Or should one dare even try? Does one go out and buy his complete Ring Cycle and lock oneself up for the weekend at the cabin? Or does one start off by only listening to excerpts of his operas? What else has Wagner done besides his operas?

Many questions......
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:05 pm

I've never been able to get into Wagner's music.

Besides Ride of the Valkyres, however, I do hear requests for excerpts from Lohengrin, Die Miestersinger, Tristan und Isolde, The Flying Dutchman, and Tannhauser.

I know he has written some non-operatic pieces including, I believe, a couple of symphonies, but I'm not familiar with them.

You might try getting one of those 'best of' albums of his and giving a serious listening to. If you don't like the excerpts, I doubt you'll be able to 'get into' the complete opera.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:56 pm

If you want to get into Wagner's music, there are some instrumental pieces around, but he's best known for his operas.

The trouble with them is that he wrote them as music-dramas, rather than a succession of recitatives & arias, which most operas are. This means that the music is totally woven into the action (or non-action at times!) and one needs the other to enhance it, rather like film music, only more so. There are few good tunes in Wagner's work, unlike Verdi or Puccini whose work is full of them.

Therefore if you want to try a Wagnerian opera, you MUST understand what is being sung. If you can't find a decent English version, and can't understand German, you need to sit down with the libretto and follow it line by line. You also need a good pictorial imagination.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:57 pm

I'm not sure that I would suggest the "Ring" to a beginner unless the beginner is well versed in other composers' operas. Certainly the low E-flat that opens "Das Rhinegold" is attention-grabbing, but the work as a whole is very solid fare. The sanctimonious morality in "Tannhauser" annoys me intensely, but it's probably a better choice for a beginner. Then there's "The Mastersingers". That DOES have a couple of good tunes in it.

Why couldn't I post these as one message?
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:51 pm

Hey Cat,

Here's an album I've enjoyed: Twilight of the Gods (The Essential Wagner Collection) on Deutsche Grammophon, Released 08/11/1998
UPC 028945914121.
Serenity
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes