Track Days

In charge of the mid-afternoon slot, chat with Scott!
-- On the Air from 1PM - 6PM

Moderator: ScottB

Postby barfle » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:34 pm

I finally found the post, but of course since the syntax has changed since those days, I'll show the picture instead.

barfle (Jim), Stravinsky (Valerie), and Bones (Steve).
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:53 pm

Bones is human?!
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:23 pm

Yep, I think his ID says "Bones" but it's a bit out of focus. :screwy:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:14 pm

And a very nice human too. Altoid is still driving a school bus and keeping her keys on a Washington DC keychain, courtesy the Boneses.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:16 pm

Scott mentioned earlier today (man, am I glad I can multitask - the BBB is creaking along here at the office) that the Honda F1 team will be running cars without any sponsor's decals.

This was probably most recently done by a team owned by a gentleman named Alexander Hesketh in the early and mid 1970s, with James Hunt as the driver. He deliberately treated F1 as a hobby, and avoided sponsorship. He found, as did I, that auto racing as a hobby is an excellent way to occupy your surplus funds.

I have a photo of Dan Gurney driving a Porsche in the Dutch Grand Prix hanging in the stairwell to my basement. The car has only a number on the side, and if you look closely at the wheels, you can see that they are just like the ones on VWs of that era.

I think the wings and airfoils on the cars ruined their beauty, and the world's fastest billboards tend toward gaudiness. But there's soooooo much money involved in putting together a competitive car these days that sponsorship from a deep-pockets sugar daddy is imperative.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:28 pm

Pretty cool, not at all plain. Of course, at speed it won't look like much. Kinda silly actually.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:30 pm

Back on topic. We are having track days again this year at Pocono. PM me for more details.
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:41 pm

Yeah, it does seem a bit busy for something that's going over 100MPH whenever it's in public view. But then how many Millers have you bought because you saw an ad on a race car? OK, bad example.

Track Days sounds like it could be fun, but I recently dug out my helmet, and I don't think it'll pass tech any more. It's really nothing more than a souvenir any more.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:07 pm

We provide loaner helmets. Only slightly fouled with flop sweat. :mrgreen:
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:31 pm

What is that website advertised on the car? I can't see it even with reading glasses. 8)
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:47 am

BigJon wrote:We provide loaner helmets. Only slightly fouled with flop sweat. :mrgreen:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby BigJon » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:34 pm

I'm glad I can ammuse you Trumpie. :mrgreen:

Are you coming to our track day Barf? Our club runs the big track at Pocono. None of this wimpy North track stuff, like the PoPipSqueak car club. :mrgreen:

BTW, the website on the Honda F1 car is:
http://www.myearthdream.com/
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:49 pm

Well, I certainly don't have a vehicle I would be willing to race, and as I noted my helmet is as over the hill as I am.

But it might be fun to stop in there and watch. I could have a schedule conflict, though, since that's right about the time I want to be fishing in Alaska. It might be my dad's last chance at it. He's in good health, but he'll be 85 years old.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:19 pm

What is in your current fleet? You may be surprised what get taken around the track. My friend takes his 80's vintage Volvo 740 turbo wagon around and has a blast.
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:08 pm

I have an '07 Subaru Forester which, although nice and capable of carrying things on the roof, is as gutless as the stock '79 bug.

And since someone else won the lottery, I won't be building cars full time just yet.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:12 pm

The Forester would be just fine.
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:16 pm

But the bug would be far more fun.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:01 am

barfle wrote:I have an '07 Subaru Forester which, although nice and capable of carrying things on the roof, is as gutless as the stock '79 bug.

And since someone else won the lottery, I won't be building cars full time just yet.

Barfle,

I bought an '06 Subaru Forester last August...

I like the ride.... heating in the vehicle is excellent!
Problem I have is the location of the cup holder as well as the
seats in the front seem to be a bit too small and trying to lock
the seat belt is awkward...

How do you like it?

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby barfle » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:32 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:How do you like it?

It's a nice car, although I got rid of a 92 GMC Jimmy 4X4 (which was losing its ability to get my wife home from work), which was a more robust vehicle. It has very good mileage, but the tradeoff is that it's gutless. But it has many spiffy bells and whistles like heated seats and that cool little heater for the windshield wipers, as well as a moonroof and one of those little button thingys on the key chain that locks and unlocks the doors. But figuring out the alarm was a pain. Much of the body feels like it's plastic, which I haven't decided is good or bad.

I've added a little utility to it by adding a factory trailer hitch receiver and a flat roof rack. And a beethoven.com window sticker.

We took it on our vacation to Quebec and Niagara falls last October, and it drove fine, even on long hauls. But I won't be taking it off-road.

Probably my biggest beef in driving it is that the gear shift has Drive in between Neutral and Third, with no detents for Drive. The rest of the gears has the lever going through a labyrinth, but finding Drive by feel is done by hitting third and pushing it a bit forward. There is an indicator on the dash in the speedometer, but it's an alphanumeric display, so you have to read the durn thing to tell. Glancing doesn't quite show you if it's in D or 3.

The engine and transmission are almost familiar looking to an old VW bug man like me. The engine is a horizontally opposed 4 banger, although it's in the front, water cooled and in an iron block, instead of the case and jugs the bug has. The transaxle looks quite familiar, even though it's an automagical, with a drive shaft coming out of the tail of it for the rear wheels ("symmetrical AWD," whatever that entails). I have some of the service manuals, but there are about six of them, so maybe I'll get more as time goes by.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby ScottB » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:53 am

Here I am!! I would love to be able to get a car on the track. People around this area like to go up to the western hills of CT and go to Limerock raceway.
ScottB
4th Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Scott Birmingham