SAVE BEETHOVEN RADIO!!!

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

SAVE BEETHOVEN RADIO!!!

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:31 pm

We need your help. The RIAA wants to raise the royalty rates of Internet stations to double what it is now by 2009!! We want to pay royalty payments but we want a rate that is affordable. If they raise the rates it will be 100% higher than our revenue... we will have to close up shop. Write your state reps! Visit the link below to read more and how you can help...

http://www.savenetradio.org/
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Re: SAVE BEETHOVEN RADIO!!!

Postby Catmando » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Nicole Marie wrote:We need your help. The RIAA wants to raise the royalty rates of Internet stations to double what it is now by 2009!! We want to pay royalty payments but we want a rate that is affordable. If they raise the rates it will be 100% higher than our revenue... we will have to close up shop. Write your state reps! Visit the link below to read more and how you can help...

http://www.savenetradio.org/

That's incredible Nicole! Unbelievable. Unfortunately, I can't sign the petition because I'm not a U.S. citizen. :(
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:56 pm

I saw this a couple of days ago. :(

Is it possible to create a petition by Beethen Radio, so that listeners from outside the U.S. can also sign. (Every day you get requests from all corners of the globe.) I can't say if the authorities will take us seriously, but it's worth a try. :roll:
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:02 pm

navneeth wrote:I saw this a couple of days ago. :(

Is it possible to create a petition by Beethen Radio, so that listeners from outside the U.S. can also sign. (Every day you get requests from all corners of the globe.) I can't say if the authorities will take us seriously, but it's worth a try. :roll:

Yes, a good idea. I'd sign it for sure.

Although Beethoven Radio is located and based in the USA, it is most certainly "The World's Classical Music Station". This decision would affect all of the many listeners outside the USA also. :(
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:05 pm

This is shocking and is no less than a blatant restraint of trade. I have signed the petition and already written my representative. I just hope that there is still time to get this resolved
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:12 pm

/signed

Hope it helps....
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:43 pm

Y.R.H.

Done Deal....

Signed the petition and contacted my rep via his on-line website.

Hopefully enough people will get involved to
fix this injustice.

I cannot think what it would be like without Beethoven Radio.... :cry:

Regards,
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:25 pm

I read that Sirius/XM were going to be trying to 'make some moves' to save satelite radio from failure. Could this be a part of that effort? Obviously, they stand to gain by knocking out the competition, and internet radio would seem to be their biggest competitors on the worldwide market.

I'll study up on the issue, but I'll probably be adding my name to the petition and e-mailing my Senators and Congressman.

I'll let you know if I find any valuable information about the scheme.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

I'm in...

Postby hal 9000 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:23 pm

My congressman has been emailed.
My name has been added to the petition.
I will certainly do what I can to help.
Unreal!

:curse:
Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
hal 9000
1st Chair

Postby analog » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:27 pm

Wow! I thought RIAA was just a standards organization that wrote technical guidelines for high quality sound recording.

Here's their website: http://www.riaa.com/issues/music/webcasting.asp

In addition they've become a corporate SS - cyber-spying on college kids, filing John Doe lawsuits, and writing laws that both legalize and fund these excesses.

Check this piece: http://www.muddlawoffices.com/laws/RIAA/RIAA_Stages.htm
Last edited by analog on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:34 pm

I was tempted to sign the petition anyway, but thought if I did someone would get up on his hind legs and bleat about it. If you want to get up a separate petition for BR listeners world-wide, I'll be happy to sign.

In this country, a CD that costs $1 to press costs $30+ to buy in a standard record shop. I don't have a lot of time for the recording industry.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:01 pm

I sent the letter and signed the petition, too.

Good luck, even though there are days I can't hear you.

One of these days the RIAA is going to find out what "antitrust" means.

I'm all in favor of respect for intellectual property, which is what royalties are supposed to pay for. But a lot of this stuff is blatant grabbing of what's not rightfully theirs, and when I see how it hurts the entrepreneurs, I tend to get ticked.
:curse:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:11 pm

the RIAA royalties might make me money in the future, so I won't sign the petition, but I won't mind anyone else signing this petition.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby analog » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:35 pm

NM - History doesn't exactly repeat itself, but it sure rhymes.

This is reminiscent of the creation of FM radio and how the money boys stole the technology from its inventor, Ed Armstrong.
Armstrong had built a small network of FM stations in the Northeast. RCA, then in the broadcasting business, got FCC to wipe him out by laying TV channels right over his frequencies, which shut him down and obsoleted all his equipment. Then they stole his patent. The poor guy eventually jumped from a 13th floor window.

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=624

Of course AM radio was big business in the pre-television days, and there were powerful people who wanted things to stay as they were. Innovation only meant smaller profits for them. At that time there was no more influential man in radio media than the founder of RCA, David Sarnoff. Known as "The General," Sarnoff controlled all the technical aspects of radio; he also created the NBC and ABC television networks. He was also an important early supporter of television and developed the current NTSC standard for TV that we have used for over 60 years.

Seeking to kill FM radio before it could threaten his profits, Sarnoff's company successfully lobbied the FCC to have the FM spectrum moved from Armstrong’s frequencies to the ones we use today: 88 to 108 MHz. That move immediately rendered Armstrong’s Yankee Network obsolete, along with all of the FM radio sets which had been produced. The cost to re-equip the stations for the new frequencies would be enormous. The FCC ruling said that the 40 MHz band was to be used for the new television broadcasts, in which RCA had a heavy stake. RCA also had an ally in AT&T, which actively supported the frequency move because the loss of FM relaying stations forced the Yankee Network stations to buy wired links from AT&T. The deck was stacked against the future of FM broadcasting.

I think I'll acquaint my congressman with the tale.....

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:57 pm

bignaf wrote:the RIAA royalties might make me money in the future, so I won't sign the petition, but I won't mind anyone else signing this petition.

You may find that there is no one left to air the music for which you could be paid
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:23 am

I'm signatory # 8335.
Looks like they're pouring in about one per minute now.

Good Luck, NM.

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:09 am

jamiebk wrote:
bignaf wrote:the RIAA royalties might make me money in the future, so I won't sign the petition, but I won't mind anyone else signing this petition.

You may find that there is no one left to air the music for which you could be paid

Well said Jamie. We want to pay royalities but we think it should be the same rate already established for AM and FM stations. (We pay one rate for the Am signal in Hartford and a second for the dot com.) We do believe artists should be paid but it should be the rate already set. We will have to pay 100% over our revenue. We will have to shut down so bignf sorry but you will get nothing at then end of it. Plus you don't even see the correct amount. RIAA keeps most of it and little makes it to the artists. You may want to send them a letter.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:55 am

I was signatory number 8525.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:29 am

That's a powerful ad. :flex:
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby hal 9000 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:53 am

Since we're stating signatory numbers...I signed yesterday, I was signatory number 6808.

:)
Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
hal 9000
1st Chair

Next

Return to Nicole Marie