World Cup Starts

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

World Cup Starts

Postby navneeth » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:51 am

The Cricket World Cup, that is. :D Still a few hours to go for the opening ceremony, though.

http://cricketworldcup.indya.com/
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:16 pm

what's that? a competition as to who can catch the most crickets? :lol:
for the Americans, NCAA (basketball) is starting. :lol:
personally, cricket would probably be more intesreting to me than Basketball, if only because I find basket ball extremely dull.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:54 pm

bignaf wrote:what's that? a competition as to who can catch the most crickets? :lol:

As a wise man once said, it is a game where 11 fools run after a leather ball, while 11,000 cheer for them. :P

for the Americans, NCAA (basketball) is starting. :lol:
personally, cricket would probably be more intesreting to me than Basketball, if only because I find basket ball extremely dull.

Personally, I hate those fourth-quarter time-outs, like one every 20 seconds. :x But I used to watch the NBA some years ago, and I even played basketball for a couple of years in school.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:01 pm

navneeth wrote:
bignaf wrote:As a wise man once said, it is a game where 11 fools run after a leather ball, while 11,000 cheer for them. :P

so I guess baseball is a game where 9 fools run after a hard leather (etc.) ball, while 40,000 cheer for them...
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:14 pm

Goooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalll!
:rofl:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:17 am

Damn it! I saw World Cup in the BBB and got excited... stop teasing!

In Hartford we have a large West Indian population and the social clubs host cricket competitions each summer. It is so much fun and exciting to check out! Really cool sport. Plus the West Indian social club serves the most amazing food at the cricket games.... :popcorn:
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:45 am

In the summer, weekends at Assiniboine Park here in Winnipeg have several Cricket matches going. It looks like an interesting sport, with some similarities to baseball.

Navneeth, who are the Cricket "powerhouses" of the world? All I know is that India, England, Australia and New Zealand are strong at Cricket, correct?

I think Canada played in the last Cricket World Cup, and I believe it was their 1st appearance. As expected, I think they lost every single game and by large margins! :oops:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:12 am

Catmando wrote:Navneeth, who are the Cricket "powerhouses" of the world? All I know is that India, England, Australia and New Zealand are strong at Cricket, correct?

Australia rules cricket. Even their second-string team can sometimes be as good as some other countries' main teams. Their last three limited-overs match (games that get done within half-a-day :D) were pretty bad, though. Another team that can be as powerful is South Africa. And then then comes teams like England, NZ and Sri Lanka.

I think Canada played in the last Cricket World Cup, and I believe it was their 1st appearance. As expected, I think they lost every single game and by large margins! :oops:

Don't feel too bad. Your captain, John Davison, holds the record for the fastest century in a World Cup! :) And this is Canada's third appearance. They played in the first WC in '75. Of course, the "minnows" always can pull off a surprise, like Kenya did back in '96 against the West Indies.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:49 pm

Over my lunch break, I googled the rules for cricket. I figured, if there's a championship series, that there'd be rules available somewhere. I found 'em. I read 'em. Are you sure people are supposed to understand the rules for cricket? I lost my composure when I read about some championship called the Ashes. Hilarious!

I'm pretty sure, now, that the point of cricket is something I'll never quite understand. Wickets made of stumps and bails, and fields of whatever size is convenient, and Oh my goodness!

I'll just listen to the music and forget about the cricket games. Cricket is a bug, useful for summer background noise and also for lizard food. :rofl:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:29 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Cricket is a bug, useful for summer background noise and also for lizard food. :rofl:

I often find cricket kits in my basement, especially during the summer months. It appears that cats like to disassemble them. I've made some progress, but this does not seem to be a battle I can win.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:10 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I lost my composure when I read about some championship called the Ashes. Hilarious!

You never make fun of the Ashes! :evil:
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:09 am

Let's celebrate the 130th anniversary of the first Test Match ever played. :D

Aus v Eng at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, one of the greatest places to watch a game of cricket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... Test_match

Oh, and, Cat, Kenya won yesterday. :(
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:35 am

[quote="navneeth"]

Melbourne Cricket Ground, one of the greatest places to watch a game of cricket. quote]

I don't think one "watches" a cricket match...one endures it. :wink: :rofl:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:08 pm

Some terrible news from the Caribbean. Bob Woolmer, coach of the Pakistan team, passed away just a short while ago. He was pronounced dead in a Jamaican hospital. This is a day after Pakistan lost all chances of entering the next stage of the competition after losing to the debutantes, Ireland. :(
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Return to Culture Connections