Your Tastes When Listening to Classical Radio

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Your Tastes When Listening to Classical Radio

Postby classicalfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:49 pm

When you listen to a classical radio station whether it be online or over the air, what do you want to hear? Do you prefer long works, exerpts of well known compositions, pieces you recognize, specific composers, etc.

This is not being posted by me as a comment on Beethoven Radio nor is it designed to start anything about this online station's programming. It's just being submitted to learn what people like and it's for fun.
classicalfan
classicalfan
5th Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:09 pm

I like a mixture of all. I suppose that I mostly like to hear comfortable, familiar favourites, but I have a pretty good CD collection, so I can hear that almost any time. I like to hear new, unfamiliar works periodically, in order to broaden my knowledge.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby bignaf » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:47 pm

mix is good, but I prefer more unfamiliar than familiar. especially new music. especially my own. :) (I don't particularly like hearing my music, it's too familiar to me, by I 'd like to hear it on the radio!).
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:24 pm

I'm not fond of excerpts, apart from the great stand-alone arias. At the times I listen, BR generally plays works right through, even though they announce the movements separately on "now playing". Goodness knows why they do that, but it happens quite often. You'd think they could just play the music.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:05 pm

I have to say that it all depends on my mood at the time, which makes it tough on the programmers. Naturally, I have my favorites (not being an authority, but you can read my sig line), but I've also enjoyed having my horizons expanded (well, most of the time).

I understand why beethoven doesn't want to play long pieces during the week, although an occasional B's 9th all the way through would be welcome. And since I don't spend my weekend in front of the computer, I don't get to hear complete works unless I sit down and play them myself.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:47 pm

dai bread wrote:I'm not fond of excerpts, apart from the great stand-alone arias. At the times I listen, BR generally plays works right through, even though they announce the movements separately on "now playing". Goodness knows why they do that, but it happens quite often. You'd think they could just play the music.

I agree...it would be nice to hear more complete works. I think BR does a pretty good job with that...at least better than most classical stations. But there is always room for improvement. Hearing only selections of symphonic movements is a bit dissatisfying since these works were written as a whole. But, I understand how commercial stations work and they really need more break time...hence the excerpts.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Re: Your Tastes When Listening to Classical Radio

Postby Catmando » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:47 pm

classicalfan wrote:When you listen to a classical radio station whether it be online or over the air, what do you want to hear? Do you prefer long works, exerpts of well known compositions, pieces you recognize, specific composers, etc.

I would much prefer to hear the complete work, rather than just 1 movement or 2. I can understand why they limit it to excerpts because there are so many requests, but it would be nice to hear more complete works, especially during the weekdays.

In addition, it would be great to only have one "Film at Eleven" feature. I'm not fond of both a film at eleven and also a 2 o'clock matinee. Definitely overkill there, IMO. :evil:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:29 pm

I would prefer to learn as I enjoy the music on air. I like to read about a composer's life, idiosyncracies, events that happened during their lifetime that had an impact on a particular piece of music. When I read their biographies or skim their compositions I like being able to listen to a sample of a particular composition; I guess this is what podcasts are supposed to offer.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:09 am

classicalfan wrote:When you listen to a classical radio station whether it be online or over the air, what do you want to hear? Do you prefer long works, exerpts of well known compositions, pieces you recognize, specific composers, etc.

This is not being posted by me as a comment on Beethoven Radio nor is it designed to start anything about this online station's programming. It's just being submitted to learn what people like and it's for fun.

Classical Fan,

Do you by any chance work at Beethoven.com? :P
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:41 am

Catmando wrote:

Classical Fan,

Do you by any chance work at Beethoven.com? :P

Maybe he is a spy from another classical music station, just trying to get market intelligence on B/R's listener base... :wink:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:46 pm

A spy?! It's happend before and I would not be surprised. We are the worlds most listened to classical station... people are always fishing because we are the best! :bow:

For those that want longer pieces, you are in luck! Due to the RIAA decision we will make programming changes to the overnight and weekends. We will play longer music! Since we have to pay per song, per listener and the RIAA counts a song as a full symphony (not each movement but the entire piece - same with operas) as one song then you will hear more longer tunes. It is cheaper for us to pay for one symphony an hour, than 7 or 8 songs in one hour.

Opera fans... you will start to hear full operas in the weekend. You will hear longer tone poems, symphonies, choral works etc. It's a slow moving process to convert over but we are doing it and you will start to notice.

Any requests? :guitar:
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:45 pm

Does the Ring cycle count as one or four? :lol:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:50 pm

all of Puccini's operas!
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:52 pm

Mazeppa?
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:36 am

Y.R.H/

Wagner - Gotterdamerung (The Ring)!!!!!

and

Mahler Symphonies!!!!!

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:15 am

Perfect! We can do all of these! It is a turn around time of about 2 weeks to rip in one piece. (It's a huge process.)

Post your requests here and I will turn our interns on to the task. :)

(Oh... the count the Ring Cycle as individual operas not one whole work... bastards!)
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:09 am

With Wagner's long operas, it's still a bargain.
(you meant "bass terds") :wink:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:14 am

I would love to hear all of the "Top Ten Non-Beethoven" symphonies that were complied by Hal 9000 on that thread. It would make a wonderful Sunday feature.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:30 am

We need to have Mahler Monday's (also Mozart Monday's, Mendelssohn Monday's, etc.), Telemann Tuesday, Wagner Wednesday (that would be pronouned Vensday, BTW), Tchaikovsky Thursday, Franck Friday, Schubert Saturday, Saint-Saens Sunday...

I guess we could have Haydn Holidays, Handel Holidays, etc.

And of course, we need a Beethoven Blowout and a Bach Bash as regular features...

I suppose we could have Modern Monday or Minimalist Monday as well, just give us plenty of notice so I can be gone.

:D

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:47 am

Shapley wrote:We need to have Mahler Monday's (also Mozart Monday's, Mendelssohn Monday's, etc.), Telemann Tuesday, Wagner Wednesday (that would be pronouned Vensday, BTW), Tchaikovsky Thursday, Franck Friday, Schubert Saturday, Saint-Saens Sunday...

I guess we could have Haydn Holidays, Handel Holidays, etc.

And of course, we need a Beethoven Blowout and a Bach Bash as regular features...

I suppose we could have Modern Monday or Minimalist Monday as well, just give us plenty of notice so I can be gone.

:D

V/R
Shapley

How about "A Pair of Schus", which would feature a double request for Schumann followed by Schubert.

I think the weekend features need some revamping/new programming.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing the Film at Eleven and 5 o'clock rock features go to pasture. :P

Or a "film at eleven" segment, but no 2PM matinee.
Catmando
1st Chair

Next

Return to Radio-Active