Who is Going to Win this Weekend?

In charge of the mid-afternoon slot, chat with Scott!
-- On the Air from 1PM - 6PM

Moderator: ScottB

Who is Going to Win this Weekend?

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri May 26, 2006 10:05 am

Hey Scott,

Who do you think is going to win Indy and Monaco this weekend?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Fri May 26, 2006 12:53 pm

It's never wise to count Penske cars out, unless they're bent. Helio and Sam are fast, and as long as they can keep their cars pointed the right way, they'll be serious contenders.

I'm rooting for Michael Andretti, though. The Andrettis need a break, and although I don't believe in fate, it sure seems fair that it's his turn. Sorry, but Danica doesn't have the speed this year. She's probably a better driver than last year, but the team hasn't been able to set up the car very well so far. But she always adds interest, she's still cute as a button, and certainly earned her place in the race.

In the Principality, Schumacher is always the man to beat. It's one of the things I'm glad I did to be able to say I actually attended that race in 1969, when Graham Hill won it. Couldn't see much racing, but it was fun, and I'll never forget the experience.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri May 26, 2006 1:26 pm

barfle wrote: It's one of the things I'm glad I did to be able to say I actually attended that race in 1969, when Graham Hill won it. Couldn't see much racing, but it was fun, and I'll never forget the experience.

You are a fortunate man indeed.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Fri May 26, 2006 1:43 pm

I was in Europe at the time representing the United States Government, and since I was going to be there for a little over a year, I felt that if I missed my chance at the race, my entire military career would have been wasted.

Looks like the TV coverage of Monaco this year is on CBS, delayed so it conflicts with Indy. How stupid can CBS be?
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri May 26, 2006 2:47 pm

If you've watched their race coverage . . . very!
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Sat May 27, 2006 10:02 am

Schumacher's on pole...so if he stays on track, it's hard to overtake the one at the front. Personally, I'd want Raikkonen to win...yes, even McLaren has fans. :P
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue May 30, 2006 10:29 am

Well, I have to say Indy was one helluva race. It's interesting to see second and third generation drivers and how much skill they have. Marco seems to have surpassed his old man, and maybe even his granddad in that area. One can't help but notice that none of the Foyt kids are making much of a mark.

I taped Monaco, and haven't had a chance to see it yet (that blinkin' laundry room project - seems the wife wanted to move the clothes hanger bar, patch and repaint, and that's not done yet so I still can't quite declare it finished), but the little I did see there was quite a controversy over Schumacher's qualifying antics.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue May 30, 2006 10:54 am

navneeth wrote:Schumacher's on pole

No he wasn't :( What a travesty.

F1 . . . giving itself black eyes since I don't know when.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue May 30, 2006 11:02 am

Did you all watch the end of Indy? I was pacing back and forth after the last green flag flew. What a great story that would have been had son and father finished 1-2. Have we witnessed the birth of a new star? He handled himself like a veteran.

I like Sam Hornish too, so I wasn't sad that he won. Penske, on the other hand, is pissing me off more and more each year. I have it on good authority that his background dealings are prolonging the split between Champcar and IRL, to the detriment of all open wheel racing in the US.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am

BigJon@Work wrote:
navneeth wrote:Schumacher's on pole

No he wasn't :( What a travesty.

F1 . . . giving itself black eyes since I don't know when.

Yes, but he finished 5th. I didn't watch the race, but followed it at the F1 site (in what can possibly be the dullest way to follow a race). Till the first pitstop, Kimi was giving Alonso a run for his money.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue May 30, 2006 11:17 am

I think Marco may well be a force to be reckoned with. Excellent performance, and when you realize he's 19 years old, we just may have a multi-year champion here.

I figure any time you pass for the lead at Indy, you've made a statement that is worth taking notice of, and he did so cleanly and with authority.

Sam won by smarts and skill. Pit strategy is very important in the 500, so there's more to it than simply being fast (although that's necessary). The penalty didn't turn out to cost anything, and so many others like Kanaan, Wheldon, Patrick, and Dixon simply got outsmarted.

I know there's talk about unifying the open-wheel series, and I certainly hope it happens. Getting all the best drivers on the same track would benefit everyone except the also-rans.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:14 pm

Get ready to listen to Carmen! :rofl:

Qualifying for the Aussie Grand Prix is less than 8 hours away!

VRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Unfortunalty

Postby ScottB » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:21 pm

My local cable company decided it was a good idea not to carry Speedvision, which happens to be the only station that I may be able to catch a race on.
ScottB
4th Chair

Re: Unfortunalty

Postby navneeth » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:37 pm

ScottB wrote:My local cable company decided it was a good idea not to carry Speedvision, which happens to be the only station that I may be able to catch a race on.

Why did they do that? Bad influence on teenage drivers? :?

It looked more or less like a race in Monaco...not too many, exciting, overtaking maneuvers. The on-board view from Alexander Wurz's car of Coulthard flying across was pretty amazing, though.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby ScottB » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:03 pm

HAHA...It would not surprise me if it was due to kids!!
ScottB
4th Chair

Re: Who is Going to Win this Weekend?

Postby navneeth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:35 pm

Not a good day if you're a McLaren fan.

McLaren have been excluded from the 2007 constructors’ championship and fined US$100 million following Thursday’s FIA World Motor Sport Council hearing in Paris. Drivers Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton have not been penalized and are free to continue their fight for the drivers' title.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/9/6767.html

This should be good for those following the race. Now, Alonso and Hamilton need not "sacrfice" their position in any way for the sake of team points. I guess they can fight it out as if they are on different teams.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:06 pm

Wow! That is jsut s#!%%y treatment of McLaren.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/9/6769.html
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:13 pm

Sounds like a couple of them got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Too bad it makes the whole team look bad (and suffer). It's no different in the business world, and actually people can go to jail for stuff like that (depending on the nature of the information.)
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:13 pm

Jackie Stewart thinks that there's something fishy going on...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 988645.stm
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:16 pm

jamiebk wrote:Sounds like a couple of them got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Too bad it makes the whole team look bad (and suffer).

It's not completely bad, actually. Currently, McLaren drivers are 1 and 2, separated by 3 points. Their points are still intact. The closest contender is about 18 points away. Spa should be fun. :D
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Scott Birmingham