Your Tastes When Listening to Classical Radio

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Postby Catmando » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:54 am

How about a week-day feature once a week, or weekend feature once a month called:

Beethoven Bulletin Board Bash

or

Hal's Happy Hour :D

Ludwig's Lundi. :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:56 am

I'm a big fan of the film features. I think film music is the classical music of our time.

We had a thread on this a few years ago. My viewpoint is that much of what we consider classical was, in fact, movie music for live entertainment, such as ballet, plays, operas, etc. I refer to the overtures, incidental music, etc.

Not all the film music will attain 'classic' status, but then neither did all of the music of the Romantic, Classical, and Baroque eras.

I'm sure there are those who find the idea of listening to a ballet without the dance to be as bad as listening to film music without the movie. I believe, however, that some music, such as the opening theme, the entre' acts, and the end credits to be written as stand-alone pieces. Particularly the end-credits, which are often written as pieces designed to entice the viewer to remain in their seat through the credits.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:00 am

Shapley wrote:I'm a big fan of the film features. I think film music is the classical music of our time.

We had a thread on this a few years ago. My viewpoint is that much of what we consider classical was, in fact, movie music for live entertainment, such as ballet, plays, operas, etc. I refer to the overtures, incidental music, etc.

Not all the film music will attain 'classic' status, but then neither did all of the music of the Romantic, Classical, and Baroque eras.

I'm sure there are those who find the idea of listening to a ballet without the dance to be as bad as listening to film music without the movie. I believe, however, that some music, such as the opening theme, the entre' acts, and the end credits to be written as stand-alone pieces. Particularly the end-credits, which are often written as pieces designed to entice the viewer to remain in their seat through the credits.

V/R
Shapley

Shap,

I don't mind film music either, as that is how I got into classical.

However, I don't see the need for both a "Film at Eleven" segment and a "2PM matinee".
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:10 am

I'm usually at lunch during the 2 pm matinee, so I only hear film at eleven.

I think they started the matinee because they received more requests for film music than anything else, so it was sort of an 'overflow feature' for the eleven o'clock requests. I'm not sure if that's still the situation, but I do know that they do receive a lot of film music requests.

Nicole, how do the number of film requests compare to the number of requests for standard classical fare these days?

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:22 am

Well, if the ridiculous royal rates get approved, we may be hearing the soundtracks of entire movies so that the station counts it as "1". :evil:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:25 am

Serenity wrote:Well, if the ridiculous royal rates get approved, we may be hearing the soundtracks of entire movies so that the station counts it as "1". :evil:

Oooooh!!! The entire soundtrack to Danny Elfman's Pee-Wee Herman. Can't wait. :rofl:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:08 pm

It is 3:08 March 21 and Gorecki's symphony #3 is playing. I just love this symphony and it would have been in my top 10 but I wasn't sure whether anyone on this board would agree so I left it off my list. (It's all about being number 1 :roll:) But really, for Annabel in New Haven... thank you for requesting it...
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:20 pm

if you like Gorecky's 3rd, check out A poor man's Gorecky. that is a Gorecky that can afford only 5 cellos, and super-compressed bandwidth. (we're going to make the file less compressed soon).
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:28 pm

I find it very hard to enjoy Gorecki's #3. I keep thinking of the appalling video that went with it a few years ago.

It showed footage from the Nazi death camps, which was familiar enough, then showed more recent footage from Aid Agencies in Africa (mostly). That was even worse than the death camp stuff. In the middle of it all the TV people put a commercial break, and for the first time in my life I welcomed the bright, cheerful ads!
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:51 pm

Never saw a video, dai, but I do know the story of the Symphony.

I do like it Big! Tell me about it please?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:43 pm

here are my official program notes for the piece:
Hishtapchus Hanefesh means “outpouring of the soul” in Yiddish-inflected Hebrew. I usually avoid titles that describe the intended effect of the music, but this title was pretty insistent on being the title for this piece, so I let it be. The piece forms an arch beginning quietly and relatively low in register. The piece then progressively intensifies and rises to a climax from which it descends in a free mirror-image of the rise. The solo cello’s opening three-note motive permeates the piece, while the harmonized reply of the four accompanying cellos hints at the overall harmonic trajectory of the piece.

I wrote it in the fall of '06, it was premiered here at Yale in December. glad you liked it. it will sound better when we put a less compressed version. right now its very tinny.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:14 am

WOW!!! You are the composer!!! :bow: I'm dead impressed with your talent. I would love to hear more of your work, please. Was it received with ovations at Yale? I bet so...
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:31 am

well, people clapped, and no dead cats were thrown. there's more on my music on [url]naftalischindler.com[/url] the only one with good sound is The One-Eyed Elk.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:27 pm

Impressive. I am enjoying, "Songs of Praise for treble chorus" as I write this. The sound is a bit tinny but it is still very good. That's you as well, yeh? Youngster and accomplished. very 8)
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:00 pm

yeah, that's my website. thanks :) . the vocal stuff sounds worst, because the compression cuts out the very high register, so some consonants (s,sh,ch,z) don't happen.
we'll fix it when my webmaster (my sister) has time.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:34 pm

Kudos to Beethoven Radio for the new Opera on Saturday night feature. This will be a great way for opera newbies like myself to get a taste of the opera classics (other than seeing a live event).

I'm zauberfloting with excitement! :P

Also look forward to being able to hear longer symphonic/tone poems. My first request will be for Ein Heldenleben (A Hero's Life) by Richard Strauss! One of my favorite orchestral works that I have discovered in the past year!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:04 pm

Cat,

Diito on that!
And they are starting with Mozart Magic Flute!
How cool....

:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:49 pm

Awesome news! I feel like singing now!

(Largo al Factotum)
Felicita! Felicta! Felicita! Felicita!
Lalala lalala lalala lalala lalala laaaa!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:00 pm

So nice to listen to opera on internet radio while reading about the work on the web! :owned:
Serenity
1st Chair

Re: Your Tastes When Listening to Classical Radio

Postby ai4i » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:08 pm

classicalfan wrote:When you listen to a classical radio station...what do you want to hear?

When I listen to a classical radio station, I want to hear bright and talented announcers who can teach me something about whatever is being aired with wit and charm. I have to put a word in for my favorite nationally syndicated classical announcer, Bill McGlaughlin, who does the weekly "Saint Paul Sunday" from APMG and the daily "Exploring Music" from WFMT. Radio is more than just music!
Last edited by ai4i on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Radio-Active