Top Ten Opera Choruses

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Opera is food. Which do you think tastes best?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:21 pm

Russian Dressing
No votes
French Fries
23%
Italian Sausage
38%
German Chocolate Cake
38%
American Pie
No votes

Total votes : 13

Postby Shapley » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:08 pm

Selma,

RE:
Sadly, I don't think there are any Mexican opera choruses we could play for the fish taco meal.

You might try Carlos Chávez' The Visitors (True Mexican Opera), or one of Alberto Ginastera's Argentinean Opera's, Don Rodrigo, Bomarzo (Which was banned for obscenity), or Beatrix Cenci.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:17 pm

OperaTenor wrote:I just sent my list in, and something occurred to me: I made no mention of light or comic opera choruses in qualifying the contest. I intended it to only include grand opera, but if someone has already included something like G&S, c'est le vie.

Wasn't this a heated debate awhile back, over whether G&S is considered "opera" and that Beethoven.com won't play G&S?

.......can't resist........must.....stir up.........controversy :poke:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:35 pm

Cat,

We've debated it at least twice in the past year or so. I think there is a whole thread on the discussion of whether Die Zauberflote is opera or operetta.

When I recently did a 30Q on Offenbach's Orphée aux enfers, it was pointed out to me that it was considered operetta, not opera. However, I pointed out that it was actually done both as an opéra bouffe (a type of operetta), and as an opéra féerie (a type of opera).

As I read the definiton of 'Grand Opera', a lot of what we commonly refer to as 'opera' does not fit the bill. None of Mozart's operas are defined as 'Grand Opera' by Wikipedia. My favourites by Bizet do not qualify.

Not being well-versed in opera, I will have to include those that I know to be operatic, with no regard as to whether they are 'grand' or not.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:40 pm

The :poke: :poke: isn't going to work. G&S is Victorian musical theater. B.com doesn't play it because they don't want to.

Argentinian opera really won't work with the fish tacos. The cuisines are so different, they might as well come from different continents. :oops: Oh, they do come from different continents! (Still, it'd be better than mariachis. Mariachi always sounds like really, really bad polka to me. Not my choice of dinner music.)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:54 pm

Well, you could try this:

Classical Meets Cuba

But it ain't opera...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:02 pm

Still, it'd be better than mariachis.

And what, exactly, is wrong with mariachis, senhorita?

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Marye » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:52 pm

Is this you Shapley?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:52 pm

Si!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:03 pm

I done told you, señor, mariachis sound like bad polka.

(btw, I'm several decades beyond señorita; I've been a señora for decades.)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:20 pm

Shapley wrote:Si!

You're good looking man!!...for a republican... :wink:
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:23 pm

Perhaps you need to listen to better mariachi, or better polka! :D

Señor Mahler's Mariachi of a Thousand

:guitar: :guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:
:guitar: :guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:
:guitar: :guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:
:sombrero:
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:25 pm

You're good looking man!!...for a republican.

Thank you! The attractive young lady accompanying me is my lovely wife, BTW. :D

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:41 pm

hey...I thought the Republicans were trying to work on that immigration thing??? :rofl: :rofl:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:44 pm

A fine looking couple!!!!
:D
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:08 pm

T/M,

Thanks.

Jamie:

I've applied for a permanent Visa, or at least a longer lasting Mastercard... :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby bignaf » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Señor Mahler's Mariachi of a Thousand

:rofl: :lol:
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:54 pm

You guys are crackin' me up!

:rotfl:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby hal 9000 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:16 am

Reminder, today is the last day to submit your list. Thread closes this evening at 6:00PM EST.

Thank you for your list Marye!

List count: 7

Keep 'em coming!®

Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
hal 9000
1st Chair

Delay

Postby hal 9000 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:09 pm

Sorry folks. I got home pretty late tonight and will not have time to compile the results this evening. I will have them posted by tomorrow night however.

Oh yeah, and thank you Serenity for your list!

Final list count: 8

Good luck to everyone!

hal 9000
1st Chair

Results

Postby hal 9000 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:40 pm

Sorry for the delay, but with out further ado... here are your Top Ten Opera Choruses as determined from 8 submitted lists nominating 33 unique compositions from 14 different composers:

01. Verdi- Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves- Nabbuco 52 points.
02. Verdi- Anvil Chorus- Il Trovatore 48 points.
03. Puccini- Humming Chorus- Madama Butterfly 42 points.
04. Verdi- Triumphal Scene- Aida 41 points.
05. Wagner- Pilgrim's Chorus- Tannhauser 30 points.
06. Wagner- Bridal Chorus- Lohengrin 22 points.
07. Bizet- Toreador Song- Carmen 20 points.
08. Gounod- Soldiers' Chorus- Faust 19 points from 5 votes.
09. Wagner- Entry of the Guests- Tannhauser 19 points from 2 votes.
10. Verdi- Soldiers' Chorus- Il Trovatore 12 points.

Interesting points from this Top Ten poll:

1. Not one person picked the 1st place winner (Verdi- Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves- Nabbuco) as their personal 1st place.
2. Both the 2nd and 3rd place winners (Verdi- Anvil Chorus- Il Trovatore and Puccini- Humming Chorus- Madama Butterfly) appeared on all 8 of the submitted lists, whereas the winner appeared on 7 out of 8 of the lists.
3. The crown for the King of Opera Choruses goes to: Guisseppe Verdi with an astounding 167 total votes, nearly double the amount of his nearest contender, Richard Wagner with 89 total votes.
4. Giacomo Puccini suprisingly was 3rd with 63 total votes.

Here are the individual results...
hal 9000
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes