Stradivari Violin Sold for $2.7 Mill

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Stradivari Violin Sold for $2.7 Mill

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:10 am

Found this post on WCBS New Radio Website here in NY.
Goodness.

Posted: Monday, 02 April 2007 8:21PM

Stradivari Violin Sold for $2.7 Mill.

NEW YORK (AP) -- A centuries-old Stradivari violin was sold Monday for more than $2.7 million, well above its presale estimated worth, Christie's auction house said.

The 1729 instrument, known as the Solomon, Ex-Lambert, went to an anonymous bidder in the auction house's fine musical instruments sale. Its price, $2,728,000 including the Christie's commission, far outpaced its estimated value: $1 million to $1.5 million.

Also beating expectations was a cittern, a string instrument similar to a guitar, believed to have been made at the turn of the 17th century. Despite an estimated value of $4,000 to $6,000, it sold for $180,000 to the National Music Museum at The University of South Dakota.

Last year, another Stradivarius sale broke the world record for the most paid for a musical instrument at auction, according to Christie's. That violin, known as The Hammer, went for more than $3.5 million.

Instruments made by Italian violinmaker Antonio Stradivari are highly prized and only rarely come to auction.

The violin auctioned Monday got its name from its two most recent owners: Murray Lambert, a British concert violinist in the 1920s and '30s, and Seymour Solomon, an amateur violinist and a co-founder of Vanguard Records.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:23 am

Also beating expectations was a cittern, a string instrument similar to a guitar, believed to have been made at the turn of the 17th century. Despite an estimated value of $4,000 to $6,000, it sold for $180,000 to the National Music Museum at The University of South Dakota.

Apparently the National Music Museum at the University of South Dakota is unconcerned about budgetary constraints...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:25 am

:shock:

I thought if I spent 3K on a trumpet that was alot of money.......

Can we dip into their budgets? :crazy:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Catmando » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 am

How much do newer or used newer musical instruments go for normally (not the very rare 18th Century ones).

Cello? Piano? :roll:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:31 am

http://www.musiciansbuyline.com/

http://www.musicalinstruments.com/

Cat,

Google Used Musical Instruments... you will get a bunch of sites...

TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby navneeth » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:15 pm

1729 - I bet that got the violin the extra million. ;)

Cat, have you decided on which instrument you'll be learning? Lately, I've been having the urge to learn the violin (western style). :D You should see me improvise, on my air-violin, while I play Tchaikovsky's concerto along with Perlman. Image :rofl:
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:24 pm

navneeth wrote:1729 - I bet that got the violin the extra million. ;)

Cat, have you decided on which instrument you'll be learning? Lately, I've been having the urge to learn the violin (western style). :D You should see me improvise, on my air-violin, while I play Tchaikovsky's concerto along with Perlman. Image :rofl:

:rofl: :rotfl: Navneeth
you are too funny...

here's to you! :toast:

:D
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Catmando » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:25 pm

navneeth wrote:1729 - I bet that got the violin the extra million. ;)

I haven't yet decided. I'm waiting until I move into a house before taking on learning an instrument. (For consideration of my neighbour tenants in my apartment block). :D

It's still between the piano and the cello that I would like to learn. Obviously I'm at a big disadvantage for not learning how to play an instrument when I was young. But anything is possible! :keyboard
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:38 pm

If you check your local classifieds, you can often find a used upright piano for little or nothing, if you're willing to pick it up yourself. I've seen them in the 'free for the asking' section of our paper, on occasion. They're often available in the $50 - $150 range. If you're patient, you can get a good deal.

You'll have to pay a tuner, and it'll probably need a good cleaning or even a refinish, but for the price...

I don't recall seeing cellos available, but then we don't have a large arts community here. I love the sound of a cello, but I'll never fool myself into thinking I could actually play one.

I think that, if ever I learn to play a musical instrument, it will be the organ.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Return to Musical Notes