Favorite Concertos

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Favorite Concertos

Postby Thalberg » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:58 am

Beethoven's 3rd thru 5th, and his Violin concerto

Saint-Saens' 2nd piano concerto

Elgar - Cello

Mozart's D minor concerto (21, I think?)

Faure's Elegie for Cello and Orchestra isn't really a concerto, but it's still on my list!
"Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back, and instead of dying, he sings."
( Robert Benchley )
Thalberg
4th Chair

Postby clarinetfreek13 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:41 pm

YAYA for Mozart's Clarinet Concerto!! It's my all-time fave and I absolutely <3 Mozart!! :crazy:

Weber's 1st for clarinet is just under Mozart, and it's fantastic, too!! :mrgreen:
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
clarinetfreek13
5th Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:18 pm

Welcome to the board, Clarinetfreak! :D

I agree, Mozart's Clarinet Concerto is wonderful.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:45 pm

So is Weber's. I'm not sure which I prefer.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby clarinetfreek13 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:58 pm

[quote="Catmando"]Welcome to the board, Clarinetfreak! :D

I agree, Mozart's Clarinet Concerto is wonderful.[/quote]

Thank you so much!! I was really excited when I heard about beethoven.com, so (of course) I had to join. I love classical music, even though my friends make fun of me......

Anyway, back on topic, I love Mozart! lol
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
clarinetfreek13
5th Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:02 pm

clarinetfreek13 wrote:Thank you so much!! I was really excited when I heard about beethoven.com, so (of course) I had to join. I love classical music, even though my friends make fun of me......

Anyway, back on topic, I love Mozart! lol

There's lots of topics that you'll find interesting. What other works do you enjoy besides Mozart and the clarinet? :)

My girlfriend used to make fun of me, but she's realized that it's something I really love and am very passionate about. Now, she asks me questions about it! :D

Hope you join us on the board regularly and post lots, Clarinet :crazy: !
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:58 am

Hello, clarinetfreek13. Welcome to the BBB! :D

Yay, for Mozart's clarinet concerto, and even his quintet!!!
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:43 am

Hello, Clarinetfreek. Welcome to the B.com BB!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:51 am

Welcome to the Pit Clarinetfreek13!!!!

:D
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

My favorites among Concerti

Postby welcid » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:09 am

Next to symphonies, concerti are my next favorite serious music form. Here are most of my favorites:

PIANO
Brahms 1st & 2nd
Davies (Victor) Mennonite Piano Concerto
Grieg
Khachaturian
Liszt 1st & 2nd
Rachmaninoff 2nd & 3rd
Ravel in G and in D
Rodrigo
Saint Saens 2nd (my ver favorite piano con), 4th & 5th
Tchaikovsky 1st & 3rd

VIOLIN
Brahms
Bruch 1st & 2nd
Chopin 1st
Dvorak
Khachaturian
Mendelssohn
Sibelius (my very favorite Violin con)
Tchaikovsky

CELLO
Dvorak
Elgar

CLARINET
Mozart

GUITAR
Rodrigo (Aranjuez)

Thanks for letting me submit!

Welcid
welcid
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:40 am

Hello, Welcid. Welcome back!

We haven't heard from you in a while. I hope all is well.

You've got a few concertos on you list I've not heard. I think it's time to hit the 'request' button. :)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Back to Shapley

Postby welcid » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:47 am

And hello to you, too. I've requested the Mennonite Con on Beethoven, but to avail. The Rodrigo is is an updated one dated to about 1992. The Largo movement is exquisite.

W
welcid
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:00 am

I have a couple of recordings of the Rodrigo, one on vinyl and one on CD, I really enjoy it. How do you like Villa-Lobos' Concerto for Guitar and Ponce' Concierto del Sur?

I also noticed there was no Vivaldi on the list. :shock: I really enjoy his Lute Concerto.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

To Shapley

Postby welcid » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:18 am

I may not have been too clear on my last response about the Rodrigo. I was referring to his PIANO concerto. As I understand it, it was not put into its current piano concerto form until about 1992. The Aranquez dates to the early '40s.

I have the Villa Lobos but have not listened to it in quite a while. Do not have the Ponce

Vivaldi?? Here, I must admit to being somewhat of a serious music listening snob. I care for little that is pre-Beethoven! However, I do have Vivaldi's Concerto for Lute & Strings, Concerto for 2 Trumpets, Concerto for Flute, and Concerto for Guitar; I do not listen to them often, and, though I appreciate Vivaldi and the man's music, don't care that much for it.
welcid
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:38 am

I actually overlooked Rodrigo's name on the 'piano' list, so I assumed (there's that word again) that you were talking about the Concerto Aranjuez. Sorry. I'm not familiar with his piano concerto, I wonder if B.com has it in the play list.

I think that Vivaldi is a lot like Bach: there is enough there for everyone to find something to love and something to hate.

Have you heard Peter Schickele's Clarinet Concerto? I enjoy some of his works.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby shostakovich » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:28 pm

Good to see this thread revived.

Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco wrote a violin concerto for Heifetz (#2, The Prophets), and a guitar concerto for Segovia (#1). They are both very nice. I believe the guitar concerto came before Rodrigo's, and is credited as the first 20th C guitar concerto that is still heard.

I have the Vivaldi Guitar (Lute) Concerto in D on a London record featuring Narciso Yepes, Ataulfo Argenta, and the National Orchestra of Spain. The performance is highly romanticized, unlike on any other recording I've heard. I find the middle movement particularly beautiful. Does anybody else have this performance? If so, what do you think?
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:23 am

Shos,

I'm not familiar with that recording of it. I seem to recall that I have a recording of it in my vinyl collection, but I didn't have a chance to look this weekend. I believe it has John Williams on guitar. I also have a recording of it on CD in my Vivaldi Masterworks collection performed by Drottningholm Court Baroque Ensemble, Tullo Galli, Jakob Lindberg and Nils-Erik Sparf.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Welcid2 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 pm

Though I have not listened to them in quite a while, I have Vivaldi's Lute Concerto done by Julian Bream & his Consort and Vivaldi's Guitar Concerto done by Yepes & the Natl O of Spain

As to Castelnuovo-Tedesco, I have and somewhat enjoy his Guitar Concerto # 1 performed by John Williams & the Philadelphia, his # 2 with Heifetz & the LA Phil and also his Concerto for 2 Guitars with the Abrewu Boys performing.

Welcid
Welcid2
Section Player

Previous

Return to Musical Notes