Say it Ain't So!

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Say it Ain't So!

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed May 30, 2007 11:37 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remo_Giazotto
He also claimed to have received a fragment of a composition of Albinoni from the hands of the Staatsbibliothek Dreseden from which he created an arrangement known as (1949) the famous Adagio in G minor. He stated that the fragment contained only the bass line which served him as starting point for his arrangement. Yet, the compositions, not only the arrangements copyright note referring to his own name and the fact that this fragment has never occurred in public suggest that this is indeed a genious way to distributate but not an original from Albinoni.

So, one of my favorite all-time jams is a 20th century fraud? Color me shocked. Is there anywhere I can hear the “original” music that formed the germ of this? I can’t find it.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed May 30, 2007 11:48 am

I'd get out the salt shaker, if I were you. Writer is not able to correctly spell "genius", and does not seem to know that "distributate" is not a word. Also, where is Dreseden? Is it near Dresden? If his factual content is as optimistic as his spelling, we may have a problem.

As I've remarked before, you should fact-check Wikipedia articles before believing. They've got lots of good stuff but the open ability to post to a subject means that some oddballs get to add their two cents worth. Verification is a good thing.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed May 30, 2007 12:08 pm

Back in January, I posted this on the Your Collection thread:

I love Albinoni's Adagio in G minor. I know, of course, that it should properly be called Remo Giazotto's Variations on a Theme By Albinoni, but it is an excellent work.

I had read about Giazotto's completion of the work on an album cover or CD insert some time ago. The same story can be found all over the net by Googling "Albinoni Adagio"
Here is a link for it from musica.co.uk.

A significant proportion of Albinoni's work has been lost, but while assembling the materials for a biography of this Venetian self-described dilettante, Remo Giazotto found six bars of music from a trio sonata fragment. This was sufficient for this musicologist to construct in 1945 what, ironically, has become Albinoni's most famous work.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Wed May 30, 2007 12:38 pm

That's it? One little work? Here's some Dan Brown-type material for you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luchesi_au ... ontroversy

:P
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed May 30, 2007 4:49 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I'd get out the salt shaker, if I were you. Writer is not able to correctly spell "genius", and does not seem to know that "distributate" is not a word. Also, where is Dreseden? Is it near Dresden? If his factual content is as optimistic as his spelling, we may have a problem.

As I've remarked before, you should fact-check Wikipedia articles before believing. They've got lots of good stuff but the open ability to post to a subject means that some oddballs get to add their two cents worth. Verification is a good thing.

Dear cultural snob, :P

I read of the controversy on other websites, but I figured WikiWackia would be the most "work safe" choice to post. :D
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed May 30, 2007 5:06 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:Dear cultural snob, :P

Hrrumph. It's now snobbery to run a spell checker before posting an article in an encyclopedia. Who knew?

:P yourself.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed May 30, 2007 5:30 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:
Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I'd get out the salt shaker, if I were you. Writer is not able to correctly spell "genius", and does not seem to know that "distributate" is not a word. Also, where is Dreseden? Is it near Dresden? If his factual content is as optimistic as his spelling, we may have a problem.

Dear cultural snob, :P

I read of the controversy on other websites, but I figured WikiWackia would be the most "work safe" choice to post. :D

Attention to spelling (or lack of it) reflects upon one's attention to detail, which if lacking, reflects negatively upon the credibility of the source. I would not trust a source that is replete with spelling and grammatical errors (and I tell my kids that all the time.)
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed May 30, 2007 5:45 pm

Shapley wrote:Back in January, I posted this on the Your Collection thread:

I love Albinoni's Adagio in G minor. I know, of course, that it should properly be called Remo Giazotto's Variations on a Theme By Albinoni, but it is an excellent work.

I had read about Giazotto's completion of the work on an album cover or CD insert some time ago. The same story can be found all over the net by Googling "Albinoni Adagio"
Here is a link for it from musica.co.uk.

A significant proportion of Albinoni's work has been lost, but while assembling the materials for a biography of this Venetian self-described dilettante, Remo Giazotto found six bars of music from a trio sonata fragment. This was sufficient for this musicologist to construct in 1945 what, ironically, has become Albinoni's most famous work.

I saw that quote when I was researching this, but nobody replied. Big (The Real) do you know what the "scrap" that was found sounded like?
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed May 30, 2007 7:42 pm

jamiebk wrote: Attention to spelling (or lack of it) reflects upon one's attention to detail, which if lacking, reflects negatively upon the credibility of the source. I would not trust a source that is replete with spelling and grammatical errors (and I tell my kids that all the time.)

I aleays sau I nevrr mispel, i jusy mistypr
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Return to Musical Notes