For Barfle and Shos

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby bignaf » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:54 am

barfle wrote:'naf, that will probably (depending on how the connections inside are made) render one channel from your source into two identical channels in the sound card. :

oh, right, that...
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:56 am

the macs I work with have mic jacks... anyway bad idea... I put it through the mixer in the lab. but that'll will probably cost more than your thing.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:48 am

OperaTenor wrote:Guys, remember, I now have a MAC!

Then, you deserve a MAC!

Take that however you like :wink:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:22 pm

OperaTenor wrote:Guys, remember, I now have a MAC! It only has Firewire and USB ports, no analog RCA or other audio jacks. As a matter of fact, it likes wireless more than anything.

$119 bought the turntable and applicable software, which accommodates 78rpm, along with 33 and 45. As far as quality goes, it seems to get good reviews.

Hmmm, I thought Macs bragged long and loud about their multimedia capability. If it can't record an external signal, that's not much to brag about.

And the lack of configurability is one reason why I keep building PCs.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:53 pm

It can read an external signal, it just needs to be via USB, Firewire or wireless. Why should I throw money at it just so I can take one giant step backward in connectivity?

From what I've read here, to copy your system, Barfle, would cost me more than twice as much between hardware and software than this turntable.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby shostakovich » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:57 pm

Hi Folks. I came late to this thread, and I'm not sure what I can say of value. The price of the pictured turntable seems pretty good even if it had no special abilities.

When I commit records to disc it's from an ordinary turntable (with decent cartridge) into a CD recorder. And by the way, CD recorders are getting scarce. Electronics stores seem to be loaded with video and hard pressed for audio.

For the DVD projects I scan slides and clean up some images, convert tapes to CD (through the recorder), and enter the CD directly into the computer for matching to the pictures.

My third attempt, which committed Ravel's Intro and Allegro, Albinoni's Adagio, Pachelbel's Canon, Bach's Air from Suite #3 to the sound track with "appropriate" visuals (mostly landscapes) actually came out pretty well.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:42 pm

How do you scan your slides, Shos?
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:19 am

OperaTenor wrote:It can read an external signal, it just needs to be via USB, Firewire or wireless. Why should I throw money at it just so I can take one giant step backward in connectivity?

How is the ability to read an analog signal a step backwards in connectivity?

Mr. Piqaboo wrote:From what I've read here, to copy your system, Barfle, would cost me more than twice as much between hardware and software than this turntable.

And if that's all you were going to use it for, it would be silly.

As I noted, I'm one of those techy geeks who likes to do as much on his own as he can, which is why I built my computer. And one of the reasons I built it the way I did is because I wanted to be able to play 8-tracks through it.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:52 am

8-track!!!! Why not rig it up to read cunieform and hieroglyphics! :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:02 pm

Shapley wrote:8-track!!!! Why not rig it up to read cunieform and hieroglyphics! :D

I had to modify an existing OCR program from my scanner. I still need to see if there's a translation program I can hack.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Culture Connections