Paul Potts, anyone?

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Paul Potts, anyone?

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:42 am

A friend on another forum turned me onto this guy. Pretty incredible, all things considered:

Britain's Got Talent - Paul Potts sings Nessun Dorma (Okay, it's an abbreviated version)

Paul Potts Semi Final winning performance
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:08 am

He'll need to change his name if he wan't to be a hit in French Indochina. :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:39 pm

Impressive. Salesman at Carphone Warehouse, eh? I like his voice, a lot! Guy's got a definite future.

I found the broken front tooth distracting - do you suppose he plays rugby?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:02 pm

I don't think he dares do anything to fix his teeth. It might damage his sound.

It turns out he has studied voice for quite a while, and had sung a little amateur opera(no surprise, really).
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:01 am

Hey...he's a Brit! He's not going to fix his teeth. :rofl:

As to his voice. A laudable performance. He needs some work and training. Seemed like he was on the edge of losing it a couple of times and I noted that he was a tiny bit off on a couple of the notes. However, overall, the guy has promise indeed. He'd benefit from a voice coach and I am sure he will get one as he progresses in the show.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:07 am

I'm guessing he can try a cap on that front tooth, and see what happens. Its gonna be more a matter of learning how to use the space again than actually ruining his voice. Not like clipping at the cords or getting a nose job (Babs' big cant-do).

Anyhoo, a temporary cap can be made, he can play with singing, and if its not a problem, he could get a more permanent one. As for the crookedness - thats a bit more trouble, but it should still be manageable (says she of no experience)
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:14 pm

I believe I've mentioned my dental implant on the threads regarding medical care.

One thing that happened when the new tooth was installed is that it is a bit deeper than the natural teeth, and as a result it contacted my tongue when I spoke. That rethulted in a bit of a lithp until I learned to keep my tongue further back when pronouncing esses.

It did not improve my singing voice.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:14 pm

Paul Potts to spend prize on new teeth

Singing mobile phone salesman Paul Potts woke up £100,000 richer today after winning television show Britain's Got Talent, and revealed that he will spend part of his prize money clearing debts and improving his teeth.

Paul Potts, 36, won over the nation with a performance of Nessun Dorma in the final of the hit ITV1 talent show, watched by 12.1 million viewers.

The former Tesco shelf-stacker from Port Talbot, South Wales, will now perform in front of the Queen at the Royal Variety Performance.

Potts said that his win had not yet sunk in but that he was planning to pay off his £30,000 debts - although he was not 100-per cent sure about giving up his day job.

Potts spent £12,000 on singing lessons before deciding his dream was not meant to be. He began stacking shelves in Tesco but had to quit work because of a spell of ill health.

Doctors treated him for appendicitis and removed a benign tumour, while Potts also broke his collarbone.

He landed a job at Carphone Warehouse after battling back to health and married a woman he met on the internet.

Today Potts said: "There are a few people who are going to want me to pay off some debts.

"Two years off sick knocks you for six when all you have to live on is your credit card. I had to work hard just to keep my head above water.

"I still can't believe I'm in this position. I don't know how long it's going to take to sink in. At the moment it's all a bit of a haze."

Potts, who has also landed a record deal with Simon Cowell, the TV show judge, said of fixing his teeth: "I'm not sure about veneers but I do want to get the crown repaired. It would be nice to be able to smile naturally. I feel very self conscious about it at the moment. But whatever I do I'm not going to change who I am."

"I'm a team leader at Carphone Warehouse but I don't think anybody is expecting me back. I'll just see what happens," he added.

Potts said of his wife, Julie Ann: "I would like to treat her to a nice holiday, maybe a safari. That would be a nice luxury item."
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby treebeau » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:34 pm

Shapley wrote:He'll need to change his name if he wan't to be a hit in French Indochina. :D

Well, I got the joke. So what name change do you suggest? Harry Potts?
:D

Regards,
Tim B.

P.S. Yeah, I like the guy. Nice to see that kind of thing on that kind of show. Beats America's Got Talent with it's "Leonid the gender bending circus freak."
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:36 pm

This should have gone first:

Paul Potts Wins!

This time he sings Nessun Dorma all the way through.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:16 pm

Well, I got the joke. So what name change do you suggest? Harry Potts?

I was wondering if I was being ignored, again. :D

He probably needs a name that'll sound good on an CD cover, like Andre Botticelli, Salvadore Lavida, or Luigiano Pattoroti. ;)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:26 pm

OperaTenor wrote:This should have gone first:

Paul Potts Wins!

This time he sings Nessun Dorma all the way through.

Well, I stand corrected about Potts fixing his teeth (even though I was only kidding :rofl: ). This win could not happen to a nicer guy. Good to see that someone deserving actually walked away with the money. He's worked hard.

Maybe he'll get his own music competition show, where he could invite similar talent to compete against him. He could call it "Iron Potts" instead of "Iron Chef".
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:50 pm

And he apparently gets a record deal from Simon Cowell to boot.

Good on him.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Return to Musical Notes