From the Sublime to the Ridiculous

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

From the Sublime to the Ridiculous

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:35 pm

I walked out of the door of my dentist’s office building this morning to hear the opening strains of Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis by Ralph Vaughan Williams. This just happens to be my all-time favorite jam, so I stopped in the middle of the alleyway and did a complete 360, looking for the source of the music. Besides the office building, all that was around me was a yellow, dilapidated garage and parking lots, not noted sources for relatively high fidelity classical music. Then I spotted a rough-looking fellow, in painters whites, working a cementious mixture in a white bucket while standing on the bed of pick-up truck parked behind the garage. He saw me doing the spin and he smiled, so I asked him where that wonderful music was coming from. He pointed to a pair of large, black speakers bolted to the lip of the truck bed. He offered up the call sign and frequency of the local college public radio station as the music source. I walked to my car, found the frequency and was immediately transported away to that special place that only greatly loved music can take us. As I exited the parking lot, I rolled down the window and thanked the man for turning me on to the source. I let him know it was my all-time favorite tune and wished him a good day. I drove to a local restaurant for breakfast, all the time grooving on the tune. I parked in the restaurant lot and allowed the last few minutes of the Tallis Fantasia to wash over me. Ah, serendipitous joys from unlikely sources. Sublime.

Then I walked into the restaurant and they were playing Don't Worry, Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin. Ugh! Ridiculous!
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:14 am

Are you aware that Mr. McFerrin is guest conductor with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, and travels the world as a guest conductor with various symphonies? He also does work introducing classical music to children around the world. His father was an opera singer.

Don't Worry, Be Happy may be fluff, but don't underestimate the man behind the music!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby treebeau » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:08 am

You didn't take what Bobby was saying to heart? :D

Reminds me of a story from long ago. Frind of mine in Miami went to some nightclub or something. A fellow was playing acoustic guitar. He starts what is the obvious introduction for a Beatles classic ballad and then starts singing it...."Jess-a-daaaaay" (Yes, Latino with bad accent)

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:52 am

I used to go to nightclubs in the Philippines back in my Navy days. Same thing. Girls singing classic songs with and butchering the words. I was reminded of it a while back when I saw Jackie Chan singing War in Rush Hour.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:53 am

Which, in turn, reminds me of when I was in the Army, stationed at a tiny base in the hills of far western Germany. The enlisted men's club would have a local band play on weekend nights. The standard fare was a handful of Belgians who spoke no English and regularly murdered "Light My Fire."
:crazy:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:09 pm

Not the man I can't stand, just the song. He is very talented at what he does.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:26 pm

The song's not really that bad, except that it got overplayed back when the movie was out.

For my son's birthday we've always had themed parties - a pirate party, a baseball party, etc., etc. A couple of years ago we had a Jamaican party - Jamaican flags on the wall, Jamaican food, we made Rasta hats for all the kids, and we had Jamaican music. I still enjoy playing them from time to time, although I've swung into Cubana music lately. One of the CD's was a compilation CD with a bunch of Jamaican and Jamaican-sounding tunes, including Don't Worry, Be Happy, as well as Bad Boys, the Theme from Cops. I enjoy the CD, in small doses. I can't listen all the way through in one sitting, it's just too much.

I have some Bob Marley CD's, too. They're not as tiring as that one.

Anyhow, I have great respect for the man, and think the success of that song probably helps greatly in developing a following for him as he strives to introduce youngsters to great music (even if that song doesn't qualify :D ).

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Return to Musical Notes