AFI's Top 100 Film List

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

AFI's Top 100 Film List

Postby Shapley » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:41 am

AFI Top 100 films

I'll admit I've not seen all of these, and some of those I've seen I wouldn't have included in the list, but here it is. Comments?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:04 am

Thanks for posting this, Shap. :)

First, there are SO many wonderful, great films. Thus, it's quite an accomplishment to make this list.

I obviously have my own favorite movies, some are on this list, and other are not. Also, I've only seen 31 of these films.

I'm not a fan of "older" movies (I'll be specific and say anything prior to 1960). However, having said this, I watched "Citizen Kane" a few years ago and was very impressed by it's quality.

Of the films on the list that I wish would have rated higher:

2001: A Space Odyssey - I'm surprised it didn't make the Top 10, let alone the Top 20.

I would have given a higher rating for "Apocolypse Now" and "Dances With Wolves" and "Godfather II", which is equally as poignant as the "Godfather I".

Films that were not on the list, but I would have been very pleased if they had been are:

The Exorcist
Life is Beautiful
Shawshank Redemption
American Beauty
Spartacus

A few on this list that I was a little surprised to see and caused me to scratch my head a littler were:

E.T.
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Frankenstein (1931)
King Kong (1933)

:D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:40 am

I think that, as the voting public changes, the older films will drop off of the list, more due to unfamiliarity than anything else. I agree with you regarding Citiizen Kane. It still remains a great film. But are the youth of today, who will be the judges of tomorrow, aware of it? Some of the older films are a bit dated, and are probably remaining out of sentiment rather than anything else.

I think Spartacus and [/i]The Sand Pebbles[/i] are great films and should have made the list.

I also agree with you about E.T.. I didn't think it was that great, as I would measure movie greatness. It was cute. It was memorable. The special effects were good (not great), but on the whole, it wasn't all that good.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a good action movie, and has all the elements of a great film. I don't see a problem with it being there.

Being a list of American Films excludes some of the greatest films ever - such as The Seven Samurai and Ran, but I think the American Remake of The Seven Samurai, The Magnificent Seven, was easily better than some of the other films on the list.

Of course, there could be criteria for the judging I'm not familiar with - x number of westerns, x number of dramas, x number of sci-fi, I don't know how they are judged.

Still, some of the films I'll have to make a point to see.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:27 am

I was a bit surprised to see how many of the films I have in my collection, and that there were films on the list that I considered to be absolute crap, like Giant.

Silence of the Lambs was so over the top that I had to laugh at all the wrong places.

The Graduate wouldn't have made my list, either. Not exactly crap, but it just never registered with me.

I would have included Forbidden Planet on my list. It's dated now, but groundbreaking when it appeared.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:26 pm

I'm always mystified when Singin' In The Rain is ranked so high. One oustanding dance number with a catchy tune is all that is required to shoot to the top?

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs Ugh! Almost unwatchable.

Shane I've seen most of the movies on the list but I've never seen this one. Is it any good?

A Place in the Sun I could never get into this one. Started watching it several times and never finished.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:09 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:Shane I've seen most of the movies on the list but I've never seen this one. Is it any good?

Yep. Alan Ladd vs. Jack Palance. Both excellent actors, and a darn good story. I remember my dad saying it was his favorite movie. Not to mention a pretty good book, too.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:20 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:I'm always mystified when Singin' In The Rain is ranked so high. One oustanding dance number with a catchy tune is all that is required to shoot to the top?

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs Ugh! Almost unwatchable.

Shane I've seen most of the movies on the list but I've never seen this one. Is it any good?

A Place in the Sun I could never get into this one. Started watching it several times and never finished.

I browse, but don't post much now. I don't know how anyone can come up with a top 100 that anyone else will agree with. I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein was not on the list. It's one of my all time favorites.

As for Singin' In the Rain, it's a great movie, IN SPITE of the dance in the rain to a crappy tune. Historically it's a wonderful and accurate look into the transition to talkies. It's funny, and Donald O'Connor is amazing. The movie is often considered the greatest musical. It is for me.

I'll join Barfle is his praise of Shane. I particularly remember a good fight scene between Van Heflin and Alan Ladd. After the fight, Brandon de Wilde (Heflin's son) asks Ladd if it hurt when Heflin broke a chair over his head. "Naw, it was an easy chair."
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:41 am

:D
I'll have to get Shane in my Netflix que. Thanks guys!

P.S. The tune may be crappy, but it is catchy. I'll bet over half the people of a certain age are humming the tune as they read this thread. :mrgreen:
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:03 am

Shane hasn't aged well. The problem with it is the leisurely paced narrative. The story just moves too slowly for modern audiences. Watch it again and see if you don't agree.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:39 pm

I don't have any patience for slow narratives. Maybe I won’t get Shane. When I get a chance to watch some of the popular dramas from the 60s and 70s on TVland, I’m amazed at the slow pacing.

Thinking about it, I'm surprised at how many of the top 100 I have seen. I’m not particularly a movie buff, but I will sit and watch one on TV if it is a good quality film that shows craft and art. The King and I with Yul Brenner and Deborah Kerr is a classic movie I recently took the time to watch. Simply delightful. The Thai ballet of Uncle Tom’s Cabin was astounding. I had to watch it again and again. I’d love to learn more about the choreography. Plus, I think Deborah Kerr was one of the most beautiful movie stars of her era. :)
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:09 pm

In looking over the list, I noticed The Third Man is one I have never seen either. Can you recommend it?
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:53 pm

I understand in Great Britain The Third Man is usually at the top of their "best of all time" lists. Also, I've heard that Greene wrote the screenplay first and the story later. Hmm.

I'd say its a thought provoking movie. In Greene's fashion, all characters have their own motives--no flimsy foils here--and the intersection of their motives is the plot. An interesting look at human behavior.

The shot at the end with Alida Valli and Joseph Cotton is a great one.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:55 pm

I have seen 90 of these films.... Man... that's worrisome.

I agree with Shos (and how nice to read you again) about Donald O'Connor in Singing in the Rain. His dancing I marvelled at.

I loved The Third Man ... but it is old.. shot in Vienna... and I was there this past fall so I wanted to see it so I could stand in the same doorways... It is quite beautifully shot. I read the book first sometime ago.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:11 pm

Rented Apolocalypse Now - Redux last weekend. Hadn't seen that movie in awhile. Phenomenal movie.

Great music too - Ride of The Valkries - Wagner :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:21 pm

Catmando wrote:Rented Apolocalypse Now - Redux last weekend. Hadn't seen that movie in awhile. Phenomenal movie.

Totally agree...one of my all-time favs. I actually thought the redeux made more sense that the original. The deleted scenes were really important to the continuity of the movie.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:26 pm

jamiebk wrote:
Catmando wrote:Rented Apolocalypse Now - Redux last weekend. Hadn't seen that movie in awhile. Phenomenal movie.

Totally agree...one of my all-time favs. I actually thought the redeux made more sense that the original. The deleted scenes were really important to the continuity of the movie.

I have actually never seen the original movie, only the Redux version.

My favorite scene is the dinner conversation at the posh French family plantation, en route to Kurtz.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:39 pm

I"ve never seen the Redux, only the original.

I'm developing a lot of liking for the the extended-version DVD's. It's amazing how much of the films have important points cut from them before release. I was sorely disappointed with the second Lord of the Rings film, but thought that the extended version was excellent.

I have the full-length (five hour) original version of Das Boot at home, waiting until I have five hours available to watch it. I saw part of it on the History Channel a couple of years ago, and what I saw impressed me.

I may have to rent Apocalypse Now - Redux sometime.

Have you seen We Were Soldiers? I thought it was very well done.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:53 pm

Shapley wrote:I"ve never seen the Redux, only the original.

I'm developing a lot of liking for the the extended-version DVD's. It's amazing how much of the films have important points cut from them before release. I was sorely disappointed with the second Lord of the Rings film, but thought that the extended version was excellent.

I have the full-length (five hour) original version of Das Boot at home, waiting until I have five hours available to watch it. I saw part of it on the History Channel a couple of years ago, and what I saw impressed me.

I may have to rent Apocalypse Now - Redux sometime.

Have you seen We Were Soldiers? I thought it was very well done.

V/R
Shapley

Shap,

I haven't seen Das Boot or We Were Soldiers. I definitely do want to see Das Boot.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:54 am

Shapley wrote:I'm developing a lot of liking for the the extended-version DVD's. It's amazing how much of the films have important points cut from them before release.

There's a Tom Hanks film called That Thing You Do, some of which was filmed in the town I lived in at the time (Orange, CA). So I'm probably more interested in it than most people, although those of my generation will appreciate the 60s style pop music in it (all original to the movie, BTW).

I bought the DVD recently, and was quite surprised how well the extended version fleshed out many of the characters. It's not necessarily a classic, but it's a lot of fun, and I recommend it highly.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:47 pm

I reccommend Il Sorpasso to anyone. A great movie, with Vittorio Gassman and Jean-Louis Trintignant. Never read a synopsis of this movie before seeing.

Completely unforgetable.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections