Business Hawaiian Style

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Business Hawaiian Style

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:25 pm

A few months ago I saw an article in the paper about a local company called Mobi. They offer wireless service, and the article went on about how they had gone from a start-up company to big profits in a really short time--less than 2 years. Mobi spokesmen pointed to their service plan and called it "superior" and the reason for their success.

Here's the real reason: Their is a tax on every mainland phone--it amounts to about two dollars per phone--earmarked for providing service to remote areas. When the tax was written, they were thinking about land lines, as cell phones weren't around. Mobi provides coverage in the Hawaiian homelands area, where about 3500 people live. Mobi's take is about 35 million a year from this subsidy.

Another company that only serves remote islands takes about 85 million a year. They have 40 employees. I wonder who owns this company?

I think the business plan these people use is modeled after our Hawaiian government.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:49 pm

LOL!
I bet they dont want Hawaii to go independent. What is their stock symbol? My "porfolio" <chock, cough> needs a boost.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:09 pm

$10,000 a year subsidy per subscriber? A blithering idiot could make money at that rate.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:55 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:

$10,000 a year subsidy per subscriber

The actual figure is about $740 a month
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Return to Culture Connections