quitting smoking

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: quitting smoking

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:20 am

Hey KittyKat,

How they hangin'?

:D
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby lioness » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:54 pm

mighty low this morning.... mighty low.

ROFL!!!!

:D :D
My music is best understood by children and animals.
Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
lioness
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:08 pm

Welcome back to my tawny friend.

I was just in LA, and, indeed, it does smell like home, probably because it WAS home to me for 45 of my 57 years.

Sorry to hear about the tires, toe, infections, and other general maladies that seem to be hovering around you these days. :(
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Smoking Ban

Postby lliam » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:45 am

I don't know if the news reached the States yet but, from Sun July 1st smoking was banned in Public places in England. Smoking was already banned some time ago in Scotland. Public House landlords have had to build a shelter outside the pub for their smoking customers. :|
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:02 am

On August 1st, it will be 6 years since I quit smoking! :owned:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:03 am

Hi Lliam,

Yes... your news we knew about in Canada. Welcome to our world. I was a smoker when we started to ban smoking in public places... now I don't smoke.
Marye
2nd Chair

I've kicked the habit.

Postby lliam » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:52 am

I used to smoke :cry: , I don't know if any of you know any of these brands of cigarette: Park Drive, Capstan Full Strength, Woodbines, Players Weights, Senior Service, Embassy Number 1, Silk Cut etc. Pipe Tobacco: Erinmore, St Bruno, Three Nuns, Walnut etc. I've smoked all the above cigs at one time or another and also the above pipe bacca. This is my third time I've packed smoking in and the longest I've lasted, it's been 8 yrs this time the first time was 3 mnths the second time 4 yrs. This time I guess I've kicked the habit although I must say I did enjoy my pipe more than the fags. :D
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:05 am

Oh I miss smoking, Lliam. I miss the social aspects of it where everyone smoked and taking a break meant having a smoke. On one trip I made to England many years ago I had stopped smoking for a few months before going and started straight up again once I was sitting in a pub. I know Silk Cut, Players, Woodbines....

I miss it to be sure. :(
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:04 am

Today is the 23 anniversary of my quitting smoking for the second (last?) time. I started smoking at 8 and had been smoking for over 20 years when I quit. I don't miss it a bit.

Along with Players (Wasn't there also a Players cigarette that came from Canada or Jamaica or somewhere other than England in the Commonwealth?) I smoked the rather obscure brands 'Home Run' and 'Picayune' occasionally. These were American cigarettes made in Louisiana if memory serves. None of these were my 'main brand' but they were on the menu at times.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Players?

Postby lliam » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:16 pm

Hi GC, the only players cigarettes I remember had the picture of a Royal Navy Sailor in the centre of the packet, as far as I know they where made in England.
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Re: Players?

Postby Catmando » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:18 pm

lliam wrote:Hi GC, the only players cigarettes I remember had the picture of a Royal Navy Sailor in the centre of the packet, as far as I know they where made in England.

Interesting.....I thought they were a Canadian brand. :?

I could never smoke American cigarettes. Just the smell of them made me ill.
Catmando
1st Chair

Players

Postby lliam » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:06 pm

http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/images/p ... 5__big.jpg

Hi Catmando, I think I mislead you I meant players navy cut.
I only know they were made in England by a Nottingham firm.
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:50 am

I haven't had a smoke for probably 35 years. Every now and then, particularly when something frustrates me, I wish I had something to light up and take a drag from. Then I remember how it all smelled, and the wish evaporates.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:15 am

I smoked a bit in high school (to be "cool") and then carried on with a pipe during college and into my early professional years. We had a number of professors who smoked a pipe so you know how that goes...monkey see, monkey do.

Anywho...One fine fall day (week, actually), I had a severe bout of bronchitis. In spite of this, I ceremoniously lit up my pipe...took a healthy drag (yes, I usually inhaled) and almost coughed up a piece of my lung. I took the pipe out of my mouth, looked at it and thought "what the hell am I doing???". I laid the pipe in the ash tray and never smoked again. That was 31 years ago.

Today, I can't stand the small of cigs, and even the smallest scent of tobacco smoke gives me a headache.

As a "PS" to all of this...does anyone remember the name of the "lettuce" cigarettes that came out in the late 60's? They were supposed to have no tar or nicotine. That's what I actually started smoking back in high school before "graduating" to real tobacco.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:49 am

barfle wrote:...I wish I had something to light up and take a drag from...

Ah yes ... I started smoking again when my parents were dying when I too wished I had something to light up and take a drag from. Their dying occurred over a 7 year period (17 years ago) and I needed something that would not alter my thinking, as I had much to help them do. The act of smoking, for me, was always relaxing and it was the best I could do then. I quit for good the year after my last parent died and I quit because my partner's son came to live with us and I had no wish to inflict second hand smoke on him.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:53 am

I like the smell of tobacco but NOT when it is burning.
The local minor league baseball team, Winston-Salem Warthogs (warthogs.com) play in a stadium (Ernie Shore Field) that is very close to one of the RJ Reynolds tobacco processing plants. Some days you can smell the aroma while watching a game. Not heavy, just pleasant. Start burning it and it is nasty.

Regards,
Tim B.

P.S. I also smoked to try to fit in with some cool kids, back when I was in Junior High School, more than 30 years ago. When my father found out he wrote me a nice letter which I still have. Very inspiring, about being a leader rather than a follower. Never had an urge to light up after that.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:54 am

Found 'em:

"Bravo's" The original lettuce cigarette....Image
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Culture Connections